Pets

Tools    

Not proud, was more an generic thing to say, ironically said, you would probably get that if you had read the quotation. If I didn’t said anything I would agree I was being proud taking in consideration to what the quote was about. Most people that know me don’t know I have cats, they wouldn’t believe I have so many. They are not actually that many. I have so much space. And they’re not stray cats, they are just cats, and like every cat, they do what they want. I like to have cats around, prefer them to people. They are so simple, it makes no logic and that’s the point.

I don't know whether all the people here on mofo manage to catch and neuter the cats that come to their property. It may be an ideal way to treat strays, but not everyone has the time, resources and skills to do so.

I feel better knowing there are people who take it upon themselves to feed strays ( and perhaps shield them from the elements with a homemade cat 'barn' or such in harsh weather.) The cats are better off imho than if just left totally abandoned.
The worse thing you can do is “feed to breed”. Any animal sanctuary will tell you this. Once you feed a cat, it’s yours. It belongs to you. You have an obligation to get it fixed, something it cannot do for itself.

If you don’t feed strays, they will not come to your property.

So far this summer I have spent $300 remediating cat situations where people have not gotten their cats fixed. It’s tragic.

I have a rather unfortunate update on Copper.

He's sick and pretty seriously so. I'd noticed over the last few weeks that he seemed to have an insatiable appetite despite not seeming to gain weight. He was acting completely normal otherwise so I wasn't overly concerned about it and just figured I'd mention it to the doctor when I brought him in for his vaccines on Saturday.

As it turns out, not only had Copper not gained any weight, he'd actually lost 11 ounces within 3 weeks. I requested bloodwork to try to determine the cause - and he went into respiratory distress after being restrained for the blood draw. He was panting heavily and then started having very shallow breathing. We put him on oxygen for awhile and were able to stabilize him, but it was a really terrifying couple of hours. His bloodwork showed a pretty bad anemia. The vet is suspecting Hemobartonella (also known as Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasma) - a blood parasite that causes the immune system to destroy red blood cells. We sent a sample to the lab to confirm, but the turn around on that test is several days so we've started doxycycline therapy in the meantime (which is the recommended treatment for hemobartonella).

He's not acting sick and is eating well, though his appetite has decreased from what it was (which could be a positive sign, since he was so ravenous before). If the diagnosis is correct, then he'll need to stay on the doxycycline for at least 3 weeks. The vet said that Jasper shouldn't be in any danger from contracting it, because it's most commonly spread by infected fleas - which is confusing to me since Copper is an indoor cat and I've had him for almost 3 months now. The incubation period for hemobartonella is typically 2 weeks but can last as long as 7 weeks. The only thing I can figure might have happened was that a family member left the back door open a couple of weeks ago (an ongoing issue) and that he might have gone outside but then came back in on his own before I discovered the door was open (Jasper, on the other hand, did go out and was mia for a little while).

In any case I've had an extremely stressful weekend. Hemobartonella can be fatal, but if that is what's going on it is at least treatable. Fingers crossed he recovers.

I requested bloodwork to try to determine the cause - and he went into respiratory distress after being restrained for the blood draw. He was panting heavily and then started having very shallow breathing. We put him on oxygen for awhile and were able to stabilize him, but it was a really terrifying couple of hours.
I’m so sorry about Copper & hope that he will improve.

What you describe above is exactly what happened to my 10 months old kitten in the exact same circumstances. The vet didn’t explain it as well as you have. I had no idea what had happened to him. He finally recovered at home & the next time they drew blood he was fine.

Oh, poor baby. I' m keeping my fingers crossed for Copper too. Sounds like you have a good vet and are doing everything to make him better. Send updates
if it's not too stressful to do ; I' m hoping for a good report soon.

The hemobartonella test came back, and it's negative.

We requested a comprehensive CBC (complete blood count) with a pathologist review from the lab, but they sent a fax saying that the CBC was cancelled because the hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells). I called the lab to see what they could do and they suggested submitting another sample, which - considering what happened Saturday - is a terrifying thought. I asked if, at the very least, they could use the sample we sent to determine his blood type in case we have to do a transfusion and they said they would need a sample with no hemolysis in order to do that test. (Seriously? He's anemic. The hemolysis is precisely the reason why he might need a transfusion. Are we supposed to just pick a blood type and HOPE it's the right one??!!)

The person I spoke to at the lab suggested calling back in the morning to get a medical consult. Copper's still acting normal, but I'm so unbelievably frustrated and terrified by this whole situation.

Don't lose hope. Keep trudging through this - as far as blood type , do cats have universal donor types like humans do? Is that an option? I don't know if it's a good idea to take more blood with his history ( tho it may have to be considered) - so see if there's any other option.

Copper is doing ok, so maybe he's on the way to healing anyway. He's young - and loved- that's in his favor.

Do you know of a vet in your practice ( or anywhere) to turn to who has a reputation of being sharp at diagnosis? Some vets
( and Drs ) have a gift for figuring it out without tests.

Our thoughts are with you @Miss Vicky, just keep keeping on and getting through it. Good luck!

Don't lose hope. Keep trudging through this - as far as blood type , do cats have universal donor types like humans do?
No. It's rare, but some cats are universal recipients but there are no universal donors.

Do you know of a vet in your practice ( or anywhere) to turn to who has a reputation of being sharp at diagnosis? Some vets ( and Drs ) have a gift for figuring it out without tests.
No. I work in a single doctor practice and the only vet I've ever totally trusted is retired. The other vets in the area I either don't know or don't like. If we can't figure out what the hell is wrong, I may have to take Copper to the veterinary teaching hospital at U.C. Davis. I'm really hoping not to have to go down that road though because it's going to mean a whole lot of money and I just got done paying off what I owed for all the vet expenses from Jasper.

I hope your kitty gets better soon.

I've owned numerous cats. Two of them had Hyperthyroidism. They could eat ten times a day and still lose weight. I believe irritability and rapid heart rates go along with that issue.

As a very few of you know, I've had some hard times here for the past several years. I lost my dog Chewy and in total I have now lost 4 more cats. This past decade has been one serious bitch. Except for one kitty who was born with liver damage, my cats normally live anywhere from 16 to 18 years. I now have a cat who will be 20 years old next Spring. She pretty much stays glued to my recliner all day and night. Her name is Angel. I'm not too sure I'll be doing this anymore. Obviously, with the more you own, the more you have to suffer loss. In these past 20 years, I have lost seven cats and one dog. I still have five cats. I'm really not up to losing anymore, right now. Not that we ever should be, but I feel so drained from it all. Outside of a bladder infection every once in a blue moon, Angel seems to be doing okay. I won't lie that I'm very nervous about it.

I'm sorry if this post doesn't space out properly. I'm having some issues with my phone.

I have a rather unfortunate update on Copper.

He's sick and pretty seriously so. I'd noticed over the last few weeks that he seemed to have an insatiable appetite despite not seeming to gain weight. He was acting completely normal otherwise so I wasn't overly concerned about it and just figured I'd mention it to the doctor when I brought him in for his vaccines on Saturday.

As it turns out, not only had Copper not gained any weight, he'd actually lost 11 ounces within 3 weeks. I requested bloodwork to try to determine the cause - and he went into respiratory distress after being restrained for the blood draw. He was panting heavily and then started having very shallow breathing. We put him on oxygen for awhile and were able to stabilize him, but it was a really terrifying couple of hours. His bloodwork showed a pretty bad anemia. The vet is suspecting Hemobartonella (also known as Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasma) - a blood parasite that causes the immune system to destroy red blood cells. We sent a sample to the lab to confirm, but the turn around on that test is several days so we've started doxycycline therapy in the meantime (which is the recommended treatment for hemobartonella).

He's not acting sick and is eating well, though his appetite has decreased from what it was (which could be a positive sign, since he was so ravenous before). If the diagnosis is correct, then he'll need to stay on the doxycycline for at least 3 weeks. The vet said that Jasper shouldn't be in any danger from contracting it, because it's most commonly spread by infected fleas - which is confusing to me since Copper is an indoor cat and I've had him for almost 3 months now. The incubation period for hemobartonella is typically 2 weeks but can last as long as 7 weeks. The only thing I can figure might have happened was that a family member left the back door open a couple of weeks ago (an ongoing issue) and that he might have gone outside but then came back in on his own before I discovered the door was open (Jasper, on the other hand, did go out and was mia for a little while).

In any case I've had an extremely stressful weekend. Hemobartonella can be fatal, but if that is what's going on it is at least treatable. Fingers crossed he recovers.
This sucks, but I think Copper is very fortunate to have you.

Could Copper have caught something from Jasper?

Could Copper have caught something from Jasper?
It's possible, but I doubt it. If Jasper has anything, he's completely asymptomatic. The only thing that's changed with him is that he's become more obnoxious than usual because he's jealous of the attention Copper is getting.

We rechecked Copper's CBC on Thursday (using sedation to minimize stress) and his anemia is significantly improved. However, some of the results in his original bloodwork along with some of his symptoms suggest that he may also be diabetic. But elevated blood sugar can also be the result of stress so we'll have to repeat that bloodwork before a final diagnosis can be made.

I want to hug them both. Poor little dear Copper just in his first year of life, and already having problems. Glad he's getting somewhat better. Hope he is diagnosed and improves soon - keep us posted.

But handsome Jasper ( worth his weight in gold for the tail alone) sounds like he needs a little TLC now too. Even tho you say he gets annoyed when you hug him - I'd hug him anyway lol.

In fact I think you could use a cyber hug too @Miss Vicky - this is no fun!

Good luck and hugs to you all.

Happy Birthday Rudy! What a nice day out and about for a dog....but...but....but.....who ate the pie?

Well @cricket no one could love their furry friends more than you and the missus. Looks like your boys got enough toys there to share with 101 Dalmatians and knowing your open door policy to cats and dogs, wouldn't be surprised if Rudy had a few guests very soon.

Happy Birthday Rudy! What a nice day out and about for a dog....but...but....but.....who ate the pie?

Well @cricket no one could love their furry friends more than you and the missus. Looks like your boys got enough toys there to share with 101 Dalmatians and knowing your open door policy to cats and dogs, wouldn't be surprised if Rudy had a few guests very soon.
A new cat has been spotted. We'll see.

We rechecked the bloodwork on Copper today. His anemia is completely resolved, but the diagnosis of diabetes has been confirmed. We're starting insulin today.

We're still in the process of figuring out the right insulin dose for Copper, but he's improving and has gained back some of the weight he lost. In the meantime his appetite is still ravenous and he's driving me crazy. He's lucky he's cute.

Forgive my crappy iPod camera and also the messy house. I'm too lazy to clean.

(I filmed this second video shortly after feeding them. That is Jasper's bowl and it's totally empty.)

He and Jasper have also finally started playing together. He chases Jasper around in the evenings and they have fun and bounce off the walls, but the rest of the time he slaps Jasper in the face if he gets too close. Despite being larger, older, and stronger, Jasper just looks offended and then walks away when he gets slapped. He never retaliates.

You ready? You look ready.
And here’s my knucklehead acting like a real SOB and dog spreading right in the doorway.

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza