What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

The last two movies that I saw in the theatre are The Last Lions and West Side Story.

Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides
Thor
Scream 4

Super 8

Went to an advanced screening tonight. Not a total train wreck (sorry, couldn't resist), but too flat, dumbed-down and, ultimately, unengaging.

Director J.J. Abrams definitely goes all out with a major Spielberg fetish (Stevie produced the pic), very overtly mixing elements from Close Encounters, E.T., Jaws, Jurassic Park and even the War of the Worlds re-make. Unfortunately he and his team forget to swipe any sense of wonder, wit, heart or character development. All of those tropes are put in a blender, and though the period details of small town USA circa 1979 are well enough realized, it's just too tedious and obvious to ever draw one in. The middle school-aged kids in the narrative are making a no-budget zombie movie-within-the-movie, and sadly its intentionally cheesy dialogue and characters are not far off from what goes on in the "real" story. I suppose with lowered expectations and a big bucket of salty corn, it's not a complete waste of time, but honestly you'd do better to stay home and slip a classic Spielberg flick into the DVD player instead.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super 8 Train Wreck.jpg
Views:	1092
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	7337  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I suppose with lowered expectations and a big bucket of salty corn, it's not a complete waste of time, but honestly you'd do better to stay home and slip a classic Spielberg flick into the DVD player instead.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, hence my trepidation in the shouts earlier. If it is indeed some sort of Meta-Spielberg homage without heart, I'll be pretty bummed out.

Well worse than Super 8 not having heart, it is awkwardly tacked on in a half-assed way, especially in the child/parent relationships. Watch any two random scenes of Dee Wallace in E.T. and see how that pays off in the final act, then see how totally devoid of emotion Kyle Chandler and his character are here, even as the plot is clunkily propelling them toward a 'big hug' moment. Ugh.

But, hey, to each their own. As always, your mileage may vary.

The last movie I saw in a theatre was Preminition with Sandra Bullock.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Sad face. Hopefully I'll completely disagree, but those sorts of reasons make me think I won't.
is Super 8 to be considered a prequel to Cloverfield?

X-Men: First Class

God I have not been to a cinema for years...
Last movie I saw was Rocky 5 lol..
Getting old I think

Just got back from seeing Super 8 with my son.

Good movie - not epic, but a fun filled way to spend 2 hours. Reminded me of a cross between ET, Goonies, and Predator.