Mark Wahlberg

Tools    

Didn't see it.
Does anybody else like Mark Wahlberg movies as much as I do? "The Big Hit" was pretty artsy-fartsy-action-kick-butt. I liked it enough to buy the DVD. I also thought that "Three Kings" and "The Perfect Storm" were both excellent.

I never saw "Fear," but I usually like Reese Witherspoon also.

"The Corrupter" was supposed to be a pretty good action flick. Did anybody see it?

"Boogie Nights" just looked a little too perverted for my tastes.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if "The Yards" is any good. It also has Joaquin Phoenix, Charlize Theron, James Caan, Ellen Burstyn, and Faye Dunaway -- all of whom I like. Charlize Theron is pretty yummie...I mean...a good actress.

Havn't really seen much of his - I didn't like The Perfect Storm much though.

Re: Charlize Theron...Sheesh: I'll bet you and sunfrog would get along very well.

I loved Boogie Nights. In my oppinion...it's his best film. I think he has a lot of potential as an actor. I'm glad he's not rapping anymore!

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The Big Hit is such a cool movie. I freaking loved it, although not many other people did. I think Boogie Nights is one of the best movies that have been made lately. Also Mark Whalberg does some pretty good acting in it. Also he was pretty good in Three Kings

Hmmm...Peter saw Boogie Nights? Arn't you, uh, a bit young? My parents rented it (yes, they're Christian like myself, but they thought it had potential), so I saw parts of it. Not much, though.

One thing I saw a fair amount of was "He Got Game" - better than I thought it would be. I'm not a Spike Lee fan, but it was well done.

Yea I am a bit young for Boogie Nights, but only age wise. I'm a mature enough to understand it. My parents don't try to censure what I watch because they know if they try to stop me from watching it, I'm just going to go out and watch it. I have Boogie Nights on tape, the sex in it isn't that bad. It's a pretty good movie. I've never seen He Got Game though.

He Got Game has some sexual scenes in it as well...very clever movie though. Not as much basketball as you might like, but still good.

Glad to hear your parents are open-minded...mine don't really censor violence from me, but I'm not allowed to watch things like Boogie Nights. I don't have a problem with it: I realize that I may be mature for my age, but it's not something I need to see now anyway.

I was worried you were going behind your parents back.

Nah, I'm not going behind their backs, they could just care less whether I see people having sex or not. Although they use to be more upset when I watched a movie with alot of violence in it rather than a movie with a little violence and some nudity. But nowadays its all good. I've seen so many movies scenes like that just seem to mold together. I have my own video card so I could go rent anything I want so I'm exposed to that stuff alot, doesn't matter to me anymore.

I will say this: it does have some advantages. I'm a big believer in telling your kids what sex is and how it works at a very young age - less akward, and since they're young they'll believe you without a second thought.

Anyway, that's a topic more suited for http://www.MarriedAdults.com - a site I very much enjoy...I encourage you to visit it (I'm a moderator there). And no, do not let the name fool you: the site is very family friendly.

I've seen every movie Mark has made except "Renaissance Man". I think he's such a talented actor -- I love his softspokenness. I never knew him as Marky Mark -- not into that kind of music.

My favorite movies of his are "Boogie Nights" and "The Perfect Storm". "Three Kings" was great, too. I thought "The Big Hit" and "The Corruptor" were kind of run-of-the-mill action movies -- nothing special. I'm looking forward to "The Yards". Interesting cast.

I just don't get it? Why does everyone seem to like "The Perfect Storm"? I didn't like it much at all...partially because almost all of it was speculation/fabrication...they have no idea what happened out there.

The Perfect Storm was nothing but...

Cool waves
and
Crappy dialogue.

It sucked.

Didn't see it.
It wasn't one of my favorites, but I still thought it was good. What's wrong with speculation?

Nothing "wrong" - but it was presented as "Based on a True Story" - usually liberties are taken, but in this case most of the film was made up...and I think we can all agree that the real encounter could have been pretty non-dramatic...for all we know they could've flipped over on the very first wave and died, or jumped overboard thinking it was going to flip, or any other of a million things.

Right on to that.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think Mark Wahlberg is a great actor ive seen quite a few of his movies and Ive thought he has done a fantastic job. He was great in Four Brothers and he was brilliant in Shooter.

Just watched Shooter, thought it was pretty good. Here's my official review

Please allow me to preface this review by stating that I have a huge man crush on good 'ol Marky Mark. Sure he wasn't the biggest baddest musician back in the '80's but he sure does play a good tough guy now!! He may not even be an Oscar worthy actor, but he definately looks good with his shirt off and one can only wish to have his abs!

In this action adventure, Wahlberg play Bob Lee Swagger (can you imagine a better redneck name?) who has been living in exile after being left for dead during an unapproved military venture. He is pursuaded to plot an assasination attempt on the President by a group claiming to be the secret service, led by Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon movies). He ends up getting double crossed and set up for the attempt on the President and subsequently goes on the run trying to clear his name.

The movie opens hard and fast with some good suspenseful action sequences showing the unapproved military mission that led to Wahlberg's exile. Then fast forwards to his living in the mountains away from society. Wahlberg did a great job, again, he's no Oscar worthy actor, but he did play the hero very well in this film despite some cheesy dialogue. Danny Glover on the other hand made the part of the antagonist hard to watch. He portrayed his part with one of the worst "accents" ever heard and supplimented this accent with a terrible lisp that made his character all the more annoying. The accent/lisp, combined with some dreadful dialogue, including a couple extremely cheesy patriotic speeches, made it difficult to watch this otherwise excellent actor.

Director Antoine Fuqua, known also for Training Day and Tears of The Sun, could have done more with a better written script and seems to try and work with he has. Terrible, cheesy dialogue aside (should mention that there is also overly done technical jargon used through some of the movie), the movie supplied excellent action scenes, a good dose of suspense, and plenty of Wahlberg with his shirt off (which had to be in the contract somewhere). Not to mention that the ending is awesome! I would definately recommend making a night of watching this movie!

I give this a 7 out of 10.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I like Wahlberg. I enjoyed him in Boogie Nights and The Perfect Storm. I think he earned his leading man stripes for sure. Plus, he produces Boardwalk Empire, which is an awesome HBO series.

Just watched Shooter