Which was the movie that sparked your love for all things film?

Tools    

Legend in my own mind

For me it was 'The Goonies'. I watched it at as a young child and was immediately captivated.
A sense of wonder and adventure consumed me as I watched and it remains to this day.
The fact that it was kids, the friendship, the fun, the music, I still remember the whole experience vividly.

There are very few films that have come close to matching that experience.

I'm a Goonie

Predator was probably the first adult film I remember seeing when I was about 11 years old at a friends house. This was certainly the film which got me into collecting.

But Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was the first film I saw on the big screen. So these are both memorable to me for different reasons. I can’t decide between the two.

There's no one film, but in some weird mix:

Pulp Fiction
Dial M For Murder
12 Angry Men
Unbreakable

It's not that these are the best films, necessarily, it's just that in each case, at the time I saw them, they struck me in some way I hadn't thought about before that made me look at films a little differently, or on some level I hadn't before.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Possibly Dune (1984). I was in 4th grade, I believe, when a friend ordered a poster of the movie from the school Weekly Reader advert. When it came in, the poster design blew my mind. At some point the movie made its way to HBO. We still had that channel at the time and I could not get enough of it (Dune, that is).

Somewhere around 4th or 5th grade I also became very aware of puppetry and practical effects in movies and fell in love with the fantasy worlds of Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, The NeverEnding Story, and Legend. I never experienced any of these movies in a proper theater, sadly. It was only from home on the ole 24" console television while home, alone, on summer break.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Terminator 2, The Dark Knight, Parasite, The Skin I Live In

No single answer but theatrical runs of the following in my formative years certainly had a huge impact:
Jaws
Close Encounters
Star Wars
Alien

Legend in my own mind
Some great replies.

Home alone was the first film that I saw at the cinema. Another great and vivid memory -Just loved it.

There are many films that I have had great experiences with, but these two are special to me and still among my favourites.

About 17 years ago, before that I wouldn't watch an old black & white movie and didn't really care about movies....then my wife wanted to see All About Eve and so I reluctantly watched it and something clicked...and I starting loving the classics.

The trick is not minding
Braveheart was the start, but Schindler’s List solidified it for me.
1996, I was looking for something on TV and came across the Oscar telecast. Watching Braveheart win Best Picture made me check it out. Which followed with several other films that had been nominated for an Oscar.
Films such as the following:
Mississippi Burning
Apocalypse Now
Amadeus
Platoon
Unforgiven
The Deer Hunter
A Clockwork Orange
Prizzi’s Honor
And many more.....but...
It was when I watched Schindler’s List, where I actually cried, that solidified that movies were to become my new passion. 24 years later and no regrets.

What a neat question!

My mom is a huge cinephile, and she got us into Hitchcock at a very early age. Shadow of a Doubt was my favorite film for a long time. I loved mysteries and it was the first real "murder mystery" I saw as a film. When I was like 12 or 13, a local theater did a Hitchcock retrospective and she took us to see Rear Window and Vertigo on the big screen and that kind of sealed the deal.

I can't narrow it down to one movie, but what probably influenced me on movies as a kid was the 4:30 movie - that I'd often watch after school and the Million Dollar Movie (on around mid-day) that I'd sometimes watch in the summertime with my dad when he'd get home from his second job (he was a night shift worker and had a half-a-day job at a store - he'd watch part of the Million Dollar Movie as he ate his "dinner," but he'd never see the end of it because he had to go to bed so he could get enough sleep to get up again at 10:00 pm for his main job).

The 4:30 Movie often had theme weeks (i.e. all Godzilla movies for 5 days, all Martin & Lewis movies for 5 days, etc.). But my intro to classic older movies was the Million Dollar Movie - most were black and white.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=44558

I also liked Thanksgiving because they'd show a lot of great movies on TV you couldn't usually see, and I remember it was usually Easter that showed The Wizard of Oz - a big influence on love of movies!

Its hard to say.. my parents watched films all the time. I know each year we watched "Ben Hur" and "Wizard of Oz" as a family but I wouldnt say they were the ones that sparked my interest... Its hard to recall what did.

We even watched Mad Monster Party around every Hallow'een.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I can't remember a time when I didn't watch movies. Even when I was a baby, there was always a TV set in my room, and my mother would watch movies with me in the room, so I grew up watching classic movies with stars like Cary Grant, James Stewart, Katharine Hepburn, Doris Day, etc., and directors like Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, Frank Capra, etc.

My family has always been massively into movies, especially my dad. But his taste was different to what I eventually developed - he liked all kinds of spy films and old Spielberg, Indiana Jones and the action films from the ‘70s and ‘80s (though not Star Wars, for some reason). He did watch Hitchcock with my mother, whose first husband was an art house cinema enthusiast and showed her Truffaut, Fellini and Bertolucci, among others. I was alone at boarding school aged 13 with zero friends, and the first thing I watched ‘independently’ was Fight Club. Then I watched Lost and have been on a rampage since then. I don’t think either of them had anything to do with my love for film, it just alerted me to the fact I could make my own choices. These days I try to show stuff to my family they wouldn’t ordinarily watch.

Nice to finally see another Goonie here, Goonies never say Die!

Ontopic; Lawrence of Arabia, Psycho, Close Encounters, The Godfather, Return of The Jedi, Pulp Fiction, and most recently Parasite and Uncut Gems.

The first movie to do this, when I was a kid, was Star Wars.

The first movie to do this, when I was an adult, was Brazil.

I've answered this question before (a few times on this site, I think) but the first time I watched something and saw films as something other than entertainment was The Making Of Thriller.

Like gbg I'd always watched films (and I think part of what clicked with The Making Of Thriller was that I loved An American Werewolf In London so much) but this was the point when I started to have an interest in film as a medium and something which was created, rather than just something to watch.

Its hard to say.. my parents watched films all the time. I know each year we watched "Ben Hur" and "Wizard of Oz" as a family but I wouldnt say they were the ones that sparked my interest... Its hard to recall what did.

We even watched Mad Monster Party around every Hallow'een.
I was thinking about this question and I have to say.. my favorite film as a young person was...

and damn did I have a childhood crush on him...

Boldly going.

For me it was 'The Goonies'. I watched it at as a young child and was immediately captivated.
A sense of wonder and adventure consumed me as I watched and it remains to this day.
The fact that it was kids, the friendship, the fun, the music, I still remember the whole experience vividly.

There are very few films that have come close to matching that experience.

I'm a Goonie
I watched Goonies last night, and, in my opinion, the characters were fantastic, the humour was great, and the premise was a boy's dream, but in the last 15 minutes, the movie fell apart.