The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix van Groeningen, 2012)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/26/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, ScarlettLion's Nomination
Rewatch: No.

I had no idea what to expect going into this film, but what I found was a really beautiful and intimate look at the relationship between two people with little in common but their love for each other and for the child they have together. And it's the relationship as a whole, from their instant attraction to each other to the tragedies that tear them apart.

I really liked the way this film was structured. It's not an entirely linear story - we see the relationship as it begins while also seeing it as it begins to unravel and the film cuts between scenes of the two, with some great bluegrass performances interspersed throughout. One moment we see a joyous scene and the next a heartbreaking one.

The central performances were really strong, too. Johan Heldenbergh as Didier and Veerle Baetens as Elise both fully embodied their characters. They both felt very human and very real. Making their performances even more impressive is the fact that both did their own singing. They sounded wonderful and the music is definitely one of the film's highlights.

While I can't say that I absolutely loved The Broken Circle Breakdown on this initial viewing, I definitely see a lot of potential for my appreciation of this highly emotional and well crafted film to grow if I were to watch it again.

+

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix van Groeningen, 2012)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/26/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, ScarlettLion's Nomination
Rewatch: No.

I had no idea what to expect going into this film, but what I found was a really beautiful and intimate look at the relationship between two people with little in common but their love for each other and for the child they have together. And it's the relationship as a whole, from their instant attraction to each other to the tragedies that tear them apart.

I really liked the way this film was structured. It's not an entirely linear story - we see the relationship as it begins while also seeing it as it begins to unravel and the film cuts between scenes of the two, with some great bluegrass performances interspersed throughout. One moment we see a joyous scene and the next a heartbreaking one.

The central performances were really strong, too. Johan Heldenbergh as Didier and Veerle Baetens as Elise both fully embodied their characters. They both felt very human and very real. Making their performances even more impressive is the fact that both did their own singing. They sounded wonderful and the music is definitely one of the film's highlights.

While I can't say that I absolutely loved The Broken Circle Breakdown on this initial viewing, I definitely see a lot of potential for my appreciation of this highly emotional and well crafted film to grow if I were to watch it again.

+
Glad you enjoyed it MV.

Legend in my own mind

The broken circle breakdown (2013)

Had heard of this film, and it had been recommended to me previously, but didn't know much of the plot before watching, and assumed that it was about a breakdown recovery company.

The film grabbed me from the opening scenes and it grabbed hold of me by the emotions and simply didn't let go.

What impressed me?
The film was a work of quality, and that quality flowed through the acting, the writing, the music and the cinematography.
The acting was strong and believable. It was one of those rare films where I actually forgot that I was watching a film at all, and it rather seemed like I was recalling memories, or that I was indeed a player in this story.
The music was superb throughout, although it was incorporated into the film, it was the subtlety of the background music too. I will certainly be looking to get this soundtrack.
The biggest thing that impressed me, was the ability of the film to make me feel. It was a whirlwind of emotions that has continued beyond the end of the running time. It really was an emotive story, that was superbly brought to life on the screen.

Room for improvement
It's hard to find anything really. At times I had to concentrate a little on working out where each scene fit into the order of the story. It jumps backwards and forwards quite a bit, but overall I think it helped the film, more than hindered it.

Summary
This film was pure, beautiful, touching, brutal and relentless. It felt so real, which is an absolute credit to all that were involved in the making of it. The emotions of the characters are tangible, every single feeling was transmitted powerfully from the screen.
If I had known what it was about beforehand, I think that I would not have enjoyed it as much as I would have made my mind up before watching it.
A really good nomination @Scarlett

Legend in my own mind
Well there's why I've not joined a Hall of Fame before and and why I'm not sure I ever could. A week ago I started watching The Hunt, getting about 30 minutes into it before I had to stop. My plan was then to finish it off later on that evening. However in the intervening hours I found my mood had completely crashed. Crashed to the point where I didn't really feel like watching anything at all, and certainly not something as serious and grim as The Hunt. It's a week later and I've still not finished it, or felt like watching anything else from the list really.

Also there's another problem that would be a real issue with these Hall of Fames - I can't do old films!!! Ok so that's a little bit of an exaggeration. There are some old films I like. However in the very, very large majority of occasions I just really struggle to watch old films, even if I'm not exactly sure why. The night before starting The Hunt I tried to watch Nightmare Alley but had to give up after about 25 minutes. I just couldn't get into it in any way whatsoever and found trying to watch it to be a real chore. And that's how I often feel with old black & white films. Why that's the case I don't know. Maybe it's because I wasn't raised on old films whatsoever. Aside from Ed Wood and Young Frankenstein I don't think I even saw a black & white film until I was well into my twenties. Or maybe it's just some kind of subconscious mental block I have; my mind has convinced me I won't/can't like it. It's not like I'm saying they're necessarily bad films. It's just that no matter what I do I can't engage with them.

So yeah I don't know it's for me. However I may still try and take part in this Hall of Fame to some extent depending on how my mood goes
I was the same, well I thought I was. Since joining this forum I saw that some people had a huge appreciation of older films. I thought 'Sarge my boy, it's time to broaden your horizons'.
I watched 12 Angry men first of all and really appreciated it. But like with modern films there were some that I haven't liked as much.
That was another reason for me doing the HOF. I didn't realise how narrow my viewing taste was until I joined this forum and realised I hadn't seen half of the films people were chatting about.
I like a wide variety of genres but they are mostly made after 1980 and in English.
The HOF was a way of letting someone else choose films for me to watch to broaden my horizons.
I started with the film that least appealed to me and would work my way up to my own nom

So far, I have got through the films I had not heard of. I have watched some excellent films that I never would have watched otherwise. There are some that I haven't enjoyed but that is true of many films.

I am loving it so far.

The broken circle breakdown (2013)

Had heard of this film, and it had been recommended to me previously, but didn't know much of the plot before watching, and assumed that it was about a breakdown recovery company.

The film grabbed me from the opening scenes and it grabbed hold of me by the emotions and simply didn't let go.

What impressed me?
The film was a work of quality, and that quality flowed through the acting, the writing, the music and the cinematography.
The acting was strong and believable. It was one of those rare films where I actually forgot that I was watching a film at all, and it rather seemed like I was recalling memories, or that I was indeed a player in this story.
The music was superb throughout, although it was incorporated into the film, it was the subtlety of the background music too. I will certainly be looking to get this soundtrack.
The biggest thing that impressed me, was the ability of the film to make me feel. It was a whirlwind of emotions that has continued beyond the end of the running time. It really was an emotive story, that was superbly brought to life on the screen.

Room for improvement
It's hard to find anything really. At times I had to concentrate a little on working out where each scene fit into the order of the story. It jumps backwards and forwards quite a bit, but overall I think it helped the film, more than hindered it.

Summary
This film was pure, beautiful, touching, brutal and relentless. It felt so real, which is an absolute credit to all that were involved in the making of it. The emotions of the characters are tangible, every single feeling was transmitted powerfully from the screen.
If I had known what it was about beforehand, I think that I would not have enjoyed it as much as I would have made my mind up before watching it.
A really good nomination @Scarlett

Really glad you liked it. You seem to have got the same sort of reactions as I did on my first watch. It's just a whirlwind of emotion.

'Dead Poet's Society'

I first watched this (about 20) years ago and have since seen it numerous times. It's one of those films that I would probably give a 7/10 to now at the most, but at the time it was "brilliant" and "life affirming". That either means one of 2 things: a) My tastes have changed or b) The movie has dated. Maybe it's a bit of both. It's probably a movie I will heartily recommend to my kids when they are teenagers, because it does have a very important message. Everybody has to "seize the day" at some point in their young lives.

There's a fair bit of sentimentality in this movie, and if we're being honest, the movie would not work if there wasn't. Robin Williams' wry smiles amount to the anguishing climax that makes the film what it is. Ethan Hawke and the rest of the young students are well cast in their preppy, privileged roles and I do think this film is an extremely enjoyable watch. I just think that these days I need something far more enchanting, captivating, original or gut-wrenching to really leave it's mark on me. The simplistic and slightly saccahrine third act is just a bit too maudlin and 'uplifting for uplifting's sake' for me. So I'll stick with that 7/10 grade.

Legend in my own mind
[quote=Camo;1693711]
@CosmicRunaway @Citizen Rules @cricket @Miss Vicky @ScarletLion @neiba @Jeff Costello @rauldc14 @SilentVamp @edarsenal @Nestorio_Miklos @Sarge @Clazor @Pussy Galore

Mentioning you all so no one misses this and goes off and watches it. Titu and The Intouchables are out. Sent him a message 10 days ago and another 3 days ago and he ignored both despite being on multiple times. Would rather remove it early than allow everyone to watch it when they may not have wanted to. Edited the second post to out of 15 now the only person that effects is Jeff who was the only one that watched it.
Pity. Although I have seen it before, I loved it. It could have been a contender. Not like you didn't give him a chance though.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
As I was trying to make clear I'm not saying I'm in the right about being unable to get into the majority of old films. I'm not saying it's because they're poor films or anything. There's just this block I have for whatever reason that I can't even explain. Maybe it's just some kind of subconscious block that convinces me before I even start that I won't like the film, even when I feel like I'm going into it completely open to it and ready to enjoy it. And as I said there are some old films I like and admire; 12 Angry Men and Sunset Boulevard for example. But for the most part I find it a huge struggle. So yes I won't lie. In general I prefer new films to old, and colour films to black and white.

I do have to agree with MV about the acting style in older films however. I really struggle to connect with it, frequently finding them very stiff and stilted or alternatively really melodramatic. Though it can work depending on the situation. For example I think Gloria Swanson's histrionic, larger-than-life performance as Norma Desmond is rather glorious

Legend in my own mind
Just about to send him a PM and tell him his nom is out, his profile says last activity was 5 Hours Ago That's at least four times he's been on.
Can't say fairer than that

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks for the heads up@Camo, and like@Sarge says, you can't be more fair.

And @JayDee, I'm forever saying, not everything is for everyone, so no worries. But, by all means, join in the discussions and post reviews if you wish.
Though I have heard that the guy who runs this HoF IS a bit of a tyrant.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I knew he wasn't going to finish much less attempt to partake, so I just assumed I never had to watch his nomination. Seems like everyone else should be ok, though it's always hard to get a read on a couple others.

[quote=Sarge;1693715]

Pity. Although I have seen it before, I loved it. It could have been a contender. Not like you didn't give him a chance though.
yes, it is pity. That was a great nom. I'm gonna rewatch it anyway

....Mentioning you all so no one misses this and goes off and watches it. Titu and The Intouchables are out...Would rather remove it early than allow everyone to watch it when they may not have wanted to...
thanks for being pro active. I'm glad you were on top of it. I wish all the Hof host would post who's out, as soon as they know. It's good to give a person a benefit of the doubt, on the other hand it's not real hard to guess who's not going to finish. So good hosting! Camo

There was all kinds of inner conflicts and I found McDowell doing a splendid job of trying to conceal them, while letting us in on what was beneath the surface.
very nice comment here ed. I was actually reflecting and couldn't figure out how i would recast. It pretty much means she simply belongs there.

....Since joining this forum I saw that some people had a huge appreciation of older films. I thought 'Sarge my boy, it's time to broaden your horizons'.
I watched 12 Angry men first of all and really appreciated it. But like with modern films there were some that I haven't liked as much.
That was another reason for me doing the HOF. I didn't realise how narrow my viewing taste was until I joined this forum and realised I hadn't seen half of the films people were chatting about.
I like a wide variety of genres but they are mostly made after 1980 and in English.
The HOF was a way of letting someone else chose films for me to watch to broaden my horizons...
Good for you Sarge! Always glad to have new members in the Hof Think of a Hof like this: Hof=osmosis.

I was 40 before I would even watch an old black and white movie. I thought they were all outdated. Now I love them! way more than I do most modern movies. I've learned a lot from Hofs too. They're a great way to grow in one's movie watching experience. Hopefully you'll join more, and there's always another Hof on the horizon. When I get around to running the 1940's Hof I hope you'll join.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Just to tell everyone I'm still alive! I already watched The Marriage of Maria Braun, will post my thoughts here later!

Doubt he'll finish the Shorts either, i've already watched both of his noms in that anyway though.
I've already watched his shorts as well, but luckily they weren't either of the longer films nominated, so I'm not too concerned.

Legend in my own mind
Good for you Sarge! Always glad to have new members in the Hof Think of a Hof like this: Hof=osmosis.

I was 40 before I would even watch an old black and white movie. I thought they were all outdated. Now I love them! way more than I do most modern movies. I've learned a lot from Hofs too. They're a great way to grow in one's movie watching experience. Hopefully you'll join more, and there's always another Hof on the horizon. When I get around to running the 1940's Hof I hope you'll join.
Will definitely do that.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I do have to agree with MV about the acting style in older films however. I really struggle to connect with it, frequently finding them very stiff and stilted or alternatively really melodramatic.
Hollywood's "old movies" were never meant to be realistic; they were larger than life. Nowadays when you watch "old movies" on small screens by yourself you miss out on this communal, larger-than-life aspect. That doesn't mean that some actors didn't give "awkward" performances, but those movies in general were looked upon differently than some people (especially people who prefer more realistic movies now) look at them today. Films in the past were more concerned with the plot or story. The characters (and actors) tried to move that plot along. Nowadays it seems that people are more concerned with characters than plot. Then there are some modern viewers who are so concerned with real time and "real everything" that the characters are subordinate to everything that the director wants to show us. I'm not doing my best to explain myself here but maybe that's because I'm trying to leave my meaning ambiguous like many modern filmmakers. I just think that the world is large enough for all the types of movies that have been made from every culture and age, to be appreciated for what they are. I feel a little better now, so you guys can go back to not liking all the actors I love.