Stephen King Movies

Tools    

I saw the trailer for Dreamcatcher when I went to see The Road to Perdition. I only kind of liked the book.

I liked:

The Shining(even tho I cant stand shelly duval...yech)
The Dead Zone
Cujo
Firestarter
*Shawshank Redemption*
*The Green Mile*
The Storm of the Century
Deloris Claybourne
Misery
Salems Lot
Apt Pupil
Stand by Me

I hope they make The Long Walk and The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon into movies someday.

Boy would i REALLY like to see ALL of those movies!
Especially It, Running Man and Pet cemetery, and maybe
Shawshank.
Are these Good??

Shining was pretty good, although I liked the newer version
better(i saw that first)

Lets put a smile on that block
Stephen King? Super guy!

Loved Shawshank and Green Mile form his books into films and LOVED Geralds Game. Very clever story.

His mini series i really enjoyed as well. The basic stories for them have always been the thing thats just grabbed my attention. the acting normally sucks and the effects are sometimes dreadful but the story just sucks u in....well it does me anyway!

Did anyone ever see:

"The Langoliers" (Time travel, creepy type of film, very very good story, AWFUL acting. Had the guard from the Green Mile in it as the Plane Pilot)

"Storm of the Century" (Quite a recent one, over here in the UK anyway. Once again, VERY good story, bit of a rubbish, anti-climax ending but it was sooo intriguing to watch.)

then theres obviolsy the ones like I.T, The Stand (which i loved!) and........i think thats it?

The Langoliers...
It...
The Stand...
The "NEW" Shining...

The books were sooooo much better, the mini-series only made me resentful.

Storm of the century...
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Lets put a smile on that block
Yeah storm of the century was good. it was sooooo intriguing. i didnt quite get the end though? very strange...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Misery was easily the best Stephen King movie. It's sick, twisted, and darkly funny at points, making it the closest to Stephen king's sensibilities that any film has ever gotten. The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were better movies, but Misery is clearly the best adaption of King's work.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Rose Red was really good. Creepy, but good!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've always read King's work before seeing the movies, and they so rarely translate properly. Mostly that's because you need to be in the characters' heads psychologically to get much of the real horror that King is trying to impart.

And, that often just doesn't translate well on screen unless you want to have characters talking to themselves all the time. Pleh.

Langoliers? Yes, GREAT fun story but YUCK, bad movie. Bad movie, no donut.

Tommyknockers was another one that I think I only enjoyed because I'd enjoyed the story so much first (it starred Marg Helgenberger from CSI fame). Creepy story but translation to film was second-rate.

Another one: Lawnmower Man. Also, Needful Things. Good stories, iffy movies.

The films that seem to translate best are the ones that don't need special effects: Shawshank, Green Mile, Stand By Me, Misery, Dolores Claiborne.

BTW, Gerald's Game was a fascinating novel. Someone else here mentioned it. Was it a movie too? I didn't think so....(That would be a tough one to pull off since it's pretty much one person in one spot through the whole story.)

Linda

p.s. Gracie, did you mean Rose Red or Rose Madder? I know King wrote a book called Rose Madder but Rose Red doesn't sound familiar.

Stephen King wrote the story and teleplay for the TV mini-series "Rose Red" that aired earlier this year and is now available on DVD and VHS. It wasn't based on any of his previous novels. There was a companion book based on the teleplay, The Diray of Ellen Rimbrauer: My Life at Rose Red, also written by King, though ostensibly through the fictitious character from the TV series, Joyce Reardon - played by Nancy Travis in the movie.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

During the movie, you could obviously tell when there was a commercial break. It was really funny, 'cuz we would stay stuff like "And now a word from our sponsors."

Aha, Holden, that explains it then.

I keep saying I have to get back into King again soon (I just got Bag of Bones in hardback for two bucks!), but I'm committed to slogging through LOTR again first. (Haven't read it for twenty years, and am still in Book One.)

There's nothing quite like reading a scary King story after midnight when everyone else in the house is asleep. The urge to go "accidentally" wake someone up so you have something/someone to ground you back in reality is very great.

I don't know about you, but I would never want to read a scary story after midnight when everyone's awake unless I suddenly have the urge to crap my pants and cry like a baby, thank you very much!

I meant it like "Even when everyone's awake I would be scared." Get it?

Originally posted by Gracie
I don't know about you, but I would never want to read a scary story after midnight when everyone's awake unless I suddenly have the urge to crap my pants and cry like a baby, thank you very much!
The first adult book I ever read was Jay Anson's Amityville Horror. I was 8 or 9, I don't really remember, but I would read it at night when I was alone. We lived wwaaayyyy out in the country, a little town called Carver, Oregon, pop. 320. I think that's what paved the way for me in becoming a dark and psychotic individual. The second book I read was The Shining by you know who. I didn't read anything but horror until I was a young teen, then I read LOTR's, ever since then, I've been into adult fantasy the most.

I wish The Stand was made into a regular series by HBO or something, instead of Disney's ABC. They made a piece of crap out of one of the best stories to be written in the last 30 years.

Originally posted by jrs1013
I am interested in seeing a movie for Desperation . There are plans for it I know, but the date I am not quite sure.
I agree, also it would be cool if they made the follow up book: The Regulators into a movie also.

The only thing good about The Stand (and this kinda saved it for me) was the casting. Everyone was just about the way I'd pictured them while reading the book when it first came out.

I didn't realize Desperation had a follow-up book. I'm still stuck in the middle of that book as it is. Now I'll have to go finish it and then pick up The Regulators, apparently. Too little time, too many books....

Originally posted by Austruck
The only thing good about The Stand (and this kinda saved it for me) was the casting.
Whaaa?!?!?! That's what I hated the most!

Jamey Sheridan as Randall Flag. That guys a goober!
Molly Ringwald as Frannie. Frannie was tough, not a blubbering baby!
Adam Storke as Larry. That guy just plain sucks.

The rest I can live with, but the only people I thought were cast well was:
Ruby Dee as Mother Abigail.
Bill Faggerback as Tom Cullin.
Gary Sinese as Stu.
and Robe Lowe as Nick.

Just an opinion tho.