Stephen King Movies

Tools    

Green Mile, Pet Sematary, Shawshank and Apt Pupil. Apt Pupil is particularly disturbing. Plays along the lines of William Golding's "Lord of the Flies". No one, even a golden boy is immune to evil if exposed to it in the right way.

Oh yeah, I'm NOT looking forward to the Talisman miniseries. I do not like this format at all. Every mini series I've ever seen has SUCKED. Especially the Stand... Molly Ringwald...??? come on. Although Gary Sinise and Rob Lowe did good work on this I just think the made for TV format is too limiting. I won't even mention "It".

One more thing about SK. Go to his web site and read the commencement speech he gave at Vasser. Talk about a dose of reality for the over priveledged! I love this guy...

I think that made for Televsion films is only restrictive because television is rerstricted. It's my personal opinion that, if manipulated in the right manner, television can and should be a better medium than film. It is used to develop an ongoing story, that can have themes within themes and uses real time to build suspense and anticipation.

Tv miniseries can work. The eight parts Lars Von Trier developed of the Kingdom were all for Danish television. Granted, he was capable of doing whatever he wanted, including some things that just wouldn't cut it in American televison. However, I think that the format ended up helping the overall effect, creating a fast-moving, non-stop plot that one can recess from at will and ease. Well, it was never easy for me I watched it for my first time in two four-hour chunks. But now I can re-watch it in episodes, and its well developed in such.

Originally posted by Steve N.
I don't think it's fair to compare the books to the movies. They're entirely different art forms.
Steve, I TOTALLY agree. I used to complain all the time about bad adaptations
until I wrote one (hopefully not bad) and realized how hard it is. If you go to the
theatre expecting to see the book on screen, you'll always be disappointed.

Try reading book dialogue aloud. It rarely works.

Originally posted by mightymose
Wart: They made a movie called The Fog that to me seems loosely based on The Mist. I agree, it's definately one of my favorites. Unfortunately the writers of The Fog didn't give King any credit (I think), and it really isn't that great anyways.
Mightymouse:

Actuallly, THE FOG was a Carpenter film based on a novel of the same name.
I don't remember the author, but it's not King.

Wart:

THE MIST was optioned to Frank Darabont (who made Shawshank and Green Mile) and he's
done a script. I don't think he's planning on directing, though. But it could be
good, since he'd involved.

Originally posted by ryanpaige
I've only read one Stephen King book, and that hasn't been made into a movie yet (Gerald's Game was the book).
Ryan: Gerald's Game was interesting, and I think there was a film project for a while,
but it didn't go anywhere. It would be sort of slow for a film anyway...too much in the head.

But I thought that about Dolores Claiborne, too, which turned out to be not bad.
That was in the same town as Gerald's Game, I think, and even referred to the other
book's characters.

They're making Rose Madder (finished shooting in Seattle last month).
Rose Red is the working title.

[/b][/quote]
They're making Rose Madder (finished shooting in Seattle last month).
Rose Red is the working title.
[/b][/quote]

On S.K.'s site he says that this is not Rose Madder... It's an original teleplay not based on that story.

My mistake. Yep. Talked to a few people who worked on it and they said the
same thing. Thanks for clearing that up, Toose.

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knew the stephen king film where everyone dies of a disease except a view people, i think its called The Stand? is this the 1? the guy from forest gump that works on the boat with forest is in it

Yes, EyjMmmm, that's "The Stand", made into a TV mini-series in 1994. Besides that Lieutenant Dan guy from Forrest Gump (Gary Sinise), it also starred Jamey Sheridan (The Ice Storm), Miguel Ferrer (RoboCop), Rob Lowe ("The West Wing"), Bill Fagerbakke ("Coach"), Matt Frewer (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids) and Ruby Dee (Do the Right Thing).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

[i] The Stand [i]...

I say no more. Was that good or what?

Back with a bang!
I have almost read all of Stephen's books, and I really liked most of them. I agree that books and films are two different art forms that shouldn't be compared to one another, but if I had to chose between watching one of his films or reading one of his books, I'd always go for the book. It's not that I have anything against his movies or anything, it's just that - for me - the book offers so much more. And of course, movies has certain limits, as we saw in The Langoliers where the stupid special effects ruined the entire ending of a good movie.

Mightymouse: I really can't see The Long Walk being turned into a movie. I haven't read the book in a while, but as far as I can remember it was almost only inner dialouge, which can be very hard to transform to a movie. The book, however, was simply amazing. One of my favourites.

crazed out movie freak
I have read a couple of Kings books he is usually done no justice on the big screen. Anyone agree? I mean there good movies just not comparable to the books.

Bag of Bones is a great book, from what I've read so far. At least, it speaks to me.

anyone mention salem's lot yet?

I like to watch...
Yeah - Salem's Lot was a very scary book and I have to say the movie (well, actually I think it may have been a telemovie or a mini-series or something made back in the '80s) was really frightening.

Danny Glick scratching at the window to come inside...goose bump central!

It takes a lot to scare me. True creepiness in film is fairly rare I think...very few flicks do it well and I really think this one succeeded...

...and to think the scariest thing about it was NOT EVEN that it starred David Soul!