31.51%
23 votes
Christopher Nolan
68.49%
50 votes
David Fincher
73 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Seven is better than any Nolan film, so it's obvious Fincher is a better director.

@ Pic in the first post. Man of Steel wasn't directed by Nolan.

Fincher.

More talented on a visual level AND a better storyteller in my opinion.
This^^

Nolan has made some great ones, but he is generally more of a blockbuster guy - a good one at that though. He often brings an edge to the mainstream, but he still struggles a bit with his storytelling and he is far from having the same visual skills and presentation as Fincher in my opinion. Fincher just makes the better movies imo; it's better more professional and complete filmmaking. But again, I do love how Nolan can take a mainstream blockbuster and still give the audience a bit more than just entertainment.

Both are good directors, but I think Nolan has fallen off. His last great film was Inception. Rises and Interstellar didn't do much to me other than fair entertainment.

I think Interestellar, that copy of Paprika, Memento and that magic movie are better than Seven. I don't care for Fincher that much since I don't care for Nolan that much as well but I like the consistent style of Nolan's films (his worst are his Batman movies).

For me Finchers films are pretty bland pseudo mindbending stuff like Fight Club or boring thrillers like Seven. Never got the appeal of his style, my favorite movie of his would be perhaps Social Network which is just a standard hollywood "biographical" movie, well made but nothing really "OMG, what a movie". Panic Room was also pretty fun and Alien 3 is a solid 3/5 movie as well.

So yeah, I am with Nolan here. Memento, that movie about magic, his remake of Paprika and Interestellar are a lot of fun. His Batman movies are ok but not among the best in the genre (Spider Man 2 and Watchmen are better for me, well PMMM is technically superhero and it was adapted into a movie triology so that counts as another 3 better than his Batman movies).

Finally, Nolan's films appear more personal than Fincher's which don't feel like they are following the same personal style at all. When I watch a Nolan it feels just like a Nolan movie, when I watched a Fincher film I didn't perceive the similarities, for instance, between Seven and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, just now I know they are from the same director. Nolan's films feel just like that overprocessed pseudo smartass serious movies like that the teenagers in IMDB love, which are for me consistently competent movies.

This one is really tough. But ultimately, I voted Nolan. I was actually surprised by the poll results. I don't think Fincher is leagues ahead of Nolan. Both are brilliant storytellers. I think Batman has become even a bigger part of fan culture in large part of the Nolan films. What Nolan was able to do to revitalize the Batman franchise was nothing short of amazing. I loved how realistic and grounded he made the Batman universe. I love the same tone Nolan tries to use in all his films.

I thought what Fincher was able to do with films like The Social Network and Fight Club were flawless. I really enjoy all films from both directors. So really it just came down to which sets of films I enjoyed the most. And I had to give that nod to Nolan. Can't wait to see what future projects these directors come up with next.

This one is really tough. But ultimately, I voted Nolan. I was actually surprised by the poll results. I don't think Fincher is leagues ahead of Nolan. Both are brilliant storytellers. I think Batman has become even a bigger part of fan culture in large part of the Nolan films. What Nolan was able to do to revitalize the Batman franchise was nothing short of amazing. I loved how realistic and grounded he made the Batman universe. I love the same tone Nolan tries to use in all his films.

I thought what Fincher was able to do with films like The Social Network and Fight Club were flawless. I really enjoy all films from both directors. So really it just came down to which sets of films I enjoyed the most. And I had to give that nod to Nolan. Can't wait to see what future projects these directors come up with next.
As much as i love Nolans Batman Trilogy, it isn't realistic in any way not sure why people ;like to say that, it actually falls into every other "this is ridiculous" category.

As much as i love Nolans Batman Trilogy, it isn't realistic in any way not sure why people ;like to say that, it actually falls into every other "this is ridiculous" category.
It is only realistic in the context of superhero movies, which is to say when compared with some of the most unrealistic movies. But realism is not universal good for all movies. In case of superhero movies it's not even a factor.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
They scratch different itches. Fincher's a better filmmaker, but Nolan just has more interesting ideas. Nolan's films would be interesting even to describe to people, or in other mediums entirely, whereas Fincher's get their power largely from the skill with which they're executed.

I tend to really like high concept films, though, so I find myself more excited for Nolan's releases than Fincher's, but they're very hard to compare objectively.
Said it better than I could.

Both directors are in the argument for best current Director. Like Yoda says I really look forward to next Nolan film more than any other.

Realistic in the sense that nothing about it was supernatural as other typical superhero movies. Nolan actually went on to thoroughly explain how Batman was able glide, fight multiple enemies, and how he came about to get his suit and gadgets through the help of Lucius. It was realistic within the universe that Nolan created.

I have to return some videotapes...
Fincher is technically more sound and I feel is one of the best directors of our age so I'll give it to him over Nolan, but I do think Nolan has mastered the art of making a smart summer blockbuster. Nolan appreciates and understands cinema-goers intelligence more than many other filmmakers at the moment.

with my recent watch of Interstellar Nolan is now higher in my list of favorite directors but I still prefer Fincher over him...

Both are genius

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I don't get the obsession with these two directors, they only have a few good films between them.

Fincher peaked at the back end of the 1990s, with his two great films. Seven and Fight Club. For me, he's never kicked on and reached those heights again.

Nolan has been the top man of English language speaking films for the past two decades running. With classics like. Memento, The Prestiege, Inception, Interstellar and The Batman trilogy.

It's a no brainer, Nolan is miles in front of Fincher. Nolan is up there with the greats.

Welcome to the human race...
Tough call. Fincher's peaks are higher, but Nolan's lows might be better and make his filmography more consistent. For me, the question isn't so much whether I prefer Fight Club or Memento so much as whether I prefer Benjamin Button or The Dark Knight Rises. Whose filmography would I rather watch from start to finish? It might be Nolan's, but I don't think being consistently decent necessarily makes you one of the greats either.

Surprised this to be a bit one-sided.

My pick is Nolan. I love Fincher too but his movies don't have the same look and rewatchability that Nolan has.

This my first post because I googled this and found this thread lol. Honestly I agree that Interstellar and TDKR are worse than TDK and Inception but they're good movies too.

Yeah, it shouldn't be this lopsided, if only because more people should reject the premise. Fincher makes better movies (particularly as movies, if you get my meaning), Nolan has more interesting ideas, if you have to generalize about either (and of course, we don't).

Alien³ vs Following
Se7en vs Memento
The Game vs Insomnia tie
Fight Club vs Batman Begins tie
Panic Room vs The Prestige tie
Zodiac vs The Dark Knight tie
The Curious Case.. vs Inception
The Social Network vs The Dark Knight Rises
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo vs Interstellar
Gone Girl vs Dunkirk
Mank vs Tenet ?

TIE!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
huh. I just voted on this. Either I've never noticed this thread or I just avoided the vote?

AAAAAAAnyhoo...
On a very superficial look back, I've become more disappointed in Nolan with each new release from him. I'm not sure if that's reality vs. expectation and that my expectations are simply unrealistic, or if he's aiming too high and just not hitting necessary points for me. Or worse, assuming he's capable of certain heights letting the past carry him. Hm. That feels quite arrogant on my part. I don't think I mean my words to be so, but I'd need to re-watch his films to know for sure. I do know, though, that I have little interest in watching anything of his again at this point.

I agree that he may have more interesting ideas from a storyteller's perspective. Generally, I give sort of bonus points for such efforts even if the end results don't quite hold up. I feel like I've done that too many times for Nolan's work to feel comfortable doing it again.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear