The 'We Are One' Film Festival

→ in
Tools    

From late May to early June there was an event on Youtube called the ‘We Are One Film Festival’. About 30 feature lengthed films and 90 short films were shown on Youtube for free. These films were from previous years of festivals like Cannes, Toronto and London.

I saw 37 short films and 2 feature lengthed films during the time (I could have seen more but laziness is a bitch). I will give reviews of some of the stuff I saw and invite other people who took part in the festival to post here (Meaning this thread can still be relevant if I get lazy and abandon it!).

Bird Karma (2018)

A wonderfully animated short about a bird looking for his next meal. The score takes inspiration from Indian music which adds well to the sense of magic in this animated watery world. The animation is incredibly fluid, is beautifully coloured and the characters have a very distinct design. The dark comedy at the end of the short is also greatly appreciated and makes it stick out from most animated shorts.

+

Marooned (2019)

A robot on an abandoned space station builds a ship to go to Earth. His plans are soon interrupted however when he finds a tiny robot with little life experience. It feels unbelievably similar to Wall-E, though it manages to differentiate itself by having different characters and different themes. I felt the point of the short was to represent the longing people feel to travel to different places; the robot looks fondly at human landmarks the same way we may look fondly on a place we long to go to (Maybe the moon). There's some cute character moments between the two robots, including a very sad ending that shows character development for one of the robots. Great character and landscape designs whith fun physical comedy to boot.

White Echo (2019)

A woman uses a Ouija board and sees weird images and ghosts. I really did not like this one. Even though it was ok from a cinematography standpoint, I do not understand what the point of the short was: Our protagonist uses a Ouija board, which causes her to see black cats, a demon girl, another demon and the ghost of a possible ancestor. It feels like a short segment from a feature film, what we are given is not enough to have a story or definite themes. I really don't know what this means and the plot is nonexistent.

Definitely want to see Big Karma, thanks!

The Distance Between Us and the Sky (2019)

A young man begs for money from another man to get home, but it soon turns into a playful flirting session. It was a cute enough short, seeing these two strangers flirt. I liked the aesthetic of it too; it is set outside a petrol station at night. It reminds you of those cold peaceful nights where you're out on your own and the shops are lit so bright it's almost like daytime inside. Apart from that I don't think the short had much to offer, a romance has to take its time to develop. A 9 minute short film simply isn't enough in my opinion to see the true extent of the relationship in the film.

Can’t think of the woman’s name on the left, but she’s a very good actress.