Server too busy. Try again...

Tools    

Didn't see it.
I've gotten it several times this evening. There are 14 members and 98 guests online. I'm guessing that you have a lot of bots spidering your site for google, ia_archive, yahoo, msn, etc.

You can look for certain bots that you really don't care about in your logs and exclude them with robots.txt.

You could also exclude bots from the forum and only let them hit the archives.

Didn't see it.
What is your "Simultaneous Sessions Limit" set to? I'm guessing that's why we get the messages.

There's a lot of stuff under "Server Settings and Optimization Options" that you might be able to change to improve the performance. There are other settings that affect bandwidth also, like "Add Template Name in HTML Comments," "GZIP HTML Output," "View Attached Images Inline," and "Add No-Cache HTTP Headers."

i seem to get it more when i click on the links from the email addresses..when i click on from my favorites, it works fine

don't know why...just thought i'd bring this up

Okay, I’m getting it every few minutes now…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I tried to post that I had been getting it for the past hour or so, but the server was too busy.

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
I tried to post that I had been getting it for the past hour or so, but the server was too busy.
Same here, it's getting tiresome. I think I'm going to go catch up on some sleep instead.

Originally Posted by jrs
But what is the reason?
Im pretty sure the reason that it is busy is that it is busy. Dont quote me on that though.

It is 7am in the morning where I am (PST so 10am est) and I am still getting server busy messages.

Please be calm, guys. The server gets "busy" when it has a lot of requests; which means either this site, or another site on it, is getting a great deal of traffic, or using up a large amount of the server's resources. It's a pretty normal occurance.

James: the Simultaneous Sessions Limit is currently set to 0, so that can't be it. The friend of mine nice enough to host this site for me, however, has asked that I do make use of the UNIX load limit, which is currently set at a rather high 10. This is the first time in a couple months the message has shown up with any regularity, thankfully, so hopefully it won't last long.

I would've answered all this last night, but have had some major computer problems and I've been trying to work them out. In the future, please, continue to let me know when you get the message, but please don't panic. Busy servers are more or less an inevitability from time to time.

Im curious what kinda statistics this site receives.

This host does seem pretty good, but if you are ever considering switching hosts I could probably hook you up with a free server that lets you do your own advertising (www.isgsa.org -- its a Starcraft website which hosts very high traffic websites -- upwards of 100gb/day) and I know the admin of the site. I doubt it will come to that, but these server down messages are hella annoying, especially since they have been happening for close to 12 hours now.

Add to that your post which mentioned you have been recieving the highest traffic ever on Mofo, and now these problems are occuring. It would seem like a server problem but could just as easily be a software issue. At the very least, for your server overload message you should just have plain text instead of the banners and such overtop, or put the images in temp folders if you havent already.,

Didn't see it.
I think the reason the traffic is high on MOFO might be because you upgraded to version 3.0 of vbulletin. My traffic jumped from around 300 visitors per day in June to 550 visitors a day in July when I upgraded to 3.0. The URLs are more friendly to yahoo and google, and I've started getting a lot more traffic from them. The jump isn't their spiders either. It is actual visitors.

You ready? You look ready.
I don't care if it gets busy. I only care if it blows up.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I hadn't had it do that to me until today.