Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

→ in
Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Looking forward to this one coming out. Has anyone been reading the series of books? This is the first in the series. The books are made primarily for children but several of my friends and adults i know read them. The dark twisted tales of three young children and their evil uncle Olaf will translate well into a series of films i think. Especially with the cast that they have filming it at the moment -

Jim Carrey .... Count Olaf
Meryl Streep .... Aunt Josephine
Jude Law .... Lemony Snicket (voice)
Billy Connolly .... Uncle Monty
Among others...

www.IMDB.com lists the plot summary as -

Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire are three intelligent young children who receive terrible news that their parents have died in a fire and have left them an enormous fortune not to be used until the eldest child is of age. When they are sent to live with Count Olaf, a greedy distant relative, they soon learn he is trying to steal their fortune for himself.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Looking forward to this one coming out. Has anyone been reading the series of books? This is the first in the series. The books are made primarily for children but several of my friends and adults i know read them. The dark twisted tales of three young children and their evil uncle Olaf will translate well into a series of films i think. Especially with the cast that they have filming it at the moment -

Jim Carrey .... Count Olaf
Meryl Streep .... Aunt Josephine
Jude Law .... Lemony Snicket (voice)
Billy Connolly .... Uncle Monty
Among others...
My daughter reads and loves the books. When I showed her the page at imdb she was sooo excited and can't wait for this to come out. She was telling me about the story...I may need to read this one myself.

And...with this cast I'm interested as well in seeing it. Since my daughter LOVES Jim Carrey in The Mask it was easy for her to be excted about him being in the movie....and of course I love Meryl Streep. Also, the very funny Jennifer Coolidge and Cedric the Entertainer are in this. They both have been such a kick to watch in the past.

I've flipped through a few of the books myself it does sound like it maybe a cute film but you can't really judge it before ya see it right?

Pirates of The Carribean

one more thing... I forgot to ask is there any word on when it is to be released in theaters?

Photographer
I'm very excited about this one. A great series of books that should work well on film with such an awesome cast. I just hope the child actors are halfway decent. We don't want another Potter.

Goose promised to stop messing around. But hoods don't stop, they take a break.

The new trailer for this film thats being released in December has just been put on TheMoviebox.net.

Check out the trailer, it looks brilliant! Jim Carrey looks excellant as Count Olaf. This should be gooooood.

Here

Carrey looks positively loony in that trailer and I have to say I can't wait to see the movie.

Put me in your pocket...
I just saw the trailer in the theater over the weekend. It's really looks good...and I hope it won't disappoint. My daughter was smiling throughout it and saying 'I can't wait'. The kids are adorable and Jim Carrey looks like he's having fun with his role.

I can't wait...I can't wait...

I have yet to read any of the Lemony Snickett books- I did see the trailer though, I don't really remember what i thought as I was about to see HP at the time, but I was enchanted by the set.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Trailer Looks pretty good. I'll probably see it when it comes out

The trailer is awesome and Jim Carrey is hysterical in it. I can't wait for this movie, not only for Carrey but that it's based on one of the best stories I have held my hands on. I just hope they don't ruin it using cool effects and comedy and then completely chop up the whole storyline.

Didn't see it.
Release date is 12/17/2004 for US:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0339291/releaseinfo

Do you know my poetry?
Am I the only one not looking foward to the film? I for one, thought the trailer was terrible, but hey, that's just me.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Am I the only one not looking foward to the film?
i think you may be Zieky, i think you may be.

Im currently making my way through the books as the relase date for the film comes closer and closer. i read the "Book The First" when it first came out about three years ago, but since ive started working at a Borders bookstore and i see all those pretty books staring at me everytime i walk past, ive decieded to give them another go. When i finihsed reading the 1st book, i didnt think much, but one day when i was bored at work and started reading the 10th, loads has developed in the story and it sounds great. They are great stories...for Kids for kids tho. Unfortunatly theyre no Potters, the form of the books is just a bit too childish to enjoy properly, but if you just skip the annoying bits, the story now is actually getting quite good. Only last month the 10th book was released and the 11th book, "the Gruesome Grotto" is out this October. As the books are relatively short and more like chapters in one long story, i think they are combining the 1st and 2nd book for the first film, which is a great idea as the 2nd book is a lot better than the first.

Roll on Mr Snickett.

Put me in your pocket...
It starts this weekend. WooHoo! I bought 10 tickets for Saturday night (as part of my daughter's birthday party). My parents are coming too, so I hope it's really good.

Bllibby...when does it open near you?

I am psyched to see this one. Looks wonderfully bizarre.

Originally Posted by Aniko
It starts this weekend. WooHoo! I bought 10 tickets for Saturday night (as part of my daughter's birthday party). My parents are coming too, so I hope it's really good.

Bllibby...when does it open near you?
That sounds like an awsome birthday party!! It opens today here in the UK, i CANNOT wait to see it. I havnt heard a bad thing about it, the only slight critism (sp?) that i have heard is thats it is really a little too dark in some places and kids may get the willies, which i think makes it sound even better! Kids love being a little scared anyway. I really hope it tunrs out as good as it loks. Dont forget to let us know what you think about it Anny!

Put me in your pocket...
Thanks Susan and Blibby! Well, I saw it last night. It's interesting...it's a movie that I really liked, thought it was really well done, I liked the characters and thought the writing and the story were really good...but I wasn't blown away by it like I was expecting. Maybe my expectations were to great...or maybe it was the all over dark and quiet tone to it. I still really liked it and would recommend it to anyone....except maybe to very young kids.

Jim Carrey was perfect, heck, the whole cast was. I loved the kids too, especially the girl who played Violet...and of course Sunny was adorable. I liked how certain scenes were handled...it could have been much scarier. Although, I did jump out of my seat at one snake scene...and was relieved and said 'awe' at another snake scene.

As far as dark scenes....one dark scen that was hard for me to watch was at Count Olaf's and when he slaps Klaus. It was done so seriously that even the audience didn't know how to respond....many gasped and some seemed to be waiting for a good response from Klaus. It was such an odd scene...especially now that I think back on the entire movie, it was the only realistically evil scene. Everything else was done in a tongue and cheek dark way. Even something as dark as the leech scene was scary, but could have been scary. I could have done without the slapping scene.

Anyways...let me know how you all liked it.

Oh, yes. There will be blood....
Really, really enjoyed it. Graphics were awesome, and the actors seemed to fit very well. I have never read the books, so I'm interested to read them now so I can see how different they are from the movie. Two thumbs up!