In the News

Tools    

Didn't see it.
General Cinema is the latest theater company casualty
General Cinema's parent company GC Cos. filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy yesterday. Other movie theater companies that have done the same include United Artists Theatre Company, Carmike Cinemas, Edwards Cinemas, and Mann Theatres. And in case you were wondering, according to Merriam Webster's Dictionary, "theatre" is a variant of "theater." Go figure. At least in Dallas, GC didn't keep up with the times. They had a bunch of old 2-4 screen theaters that were not as popular as the multi-plexes. That said, a lot of the multi-plexes aren't doing well either. They are building too many of them too close to each other.

Dwight Yoakam's Film
Trimark Pictures just acquired the North American distribution rights to the up-coming film from Dwight Yoakam. They are basically saving this financially-troubled film. South of Heaven, West of Hell is his directorial debut and stars Yoakam, Vince Vaughn, Bridget Fonda, Billy Bob Thornton, Paul Reubens, Michael Jeter and Peter Fonda. Anything with Billy Bob Thornton sounds good to me. Isn't it interesting how Paul Reubens (Peewee Herman) has made a comeback. He was hilarious in X-Men.

In the film, Yoakam plays a U.S. Marshall who is trying to bust some bank robbing murderers. He ends up falling in love with Bridget Fonda's character. Did you notice that this is a two-Fonda film?

Neeson and Ford Might Co-star
Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford are both in negotiations to co-star in a submarine movie called K-19 that would begin filming in February. Harrison Ford would play a Soviet sub captain who is trying to save his crew from a nuclear meltdown. The plot sure sounds like what just happened to that Russian sub.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
I'm glad Reubens is making a comeback ... I've always had a soft spot for him.

Didn't see it.
Does anybody else like Billy Bob Thornton's movies as much as I do? He sure can act.

I'm trying to think of a Harrison Ford movie I didn't like. He's pretty great too.

Billy Bob is great...Sling Blade and A Simple Plan are two very well done movies.

Alright...show of hands: who thinks he should play James Carville in a made-for-TV movie about Clinton's 96 campaign?

Didn't see it.
Now this is a weird one.

Guess who is going to star in a new urban psychological thriller about a one-hour photo lab employee who becomes obssessed with a family whose pictures he has developed? Robin Williams.

The movie will be called One Hour Photo. I wonder if it will be good. I really liked Williams in Good Will Hunting and The Fisher King. I wonder how he will do playing a psycho.

The wife/mother of the family will be played by Connie Nielson who has been in the movies Gladiator, Mission to Mars, Soldier, Rushmore, Permanent Midnight, and The Devil's Advocate.

Connie Nielsen? Ohhh yeah...she looks so different in all her roles...died her hair blonde for "Solider" I think, and had it cut short in "Mission to Mars"...curly in "Devil's Advocate", and then straight and mostly pulled back in "Gladiator" - I usually forget they're all the same person.

Williams as a pyscho? Call me crazy (no pun intended), but I think that's one role he'll have no problem playing.

Didn't see it.
I just read that there will be an MIB2 (Men in Black 2) with the original cast. Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, and Linda Fiorentino are all on board. Director Barry Sonnenfeld is currently putting the final touches on the script.

Will Smith said that the way they bring Jones' character (Agent K) back is brilliant.

I really liked MIB. I've liked just about any movie that has Tommy Lee Jones.

Didn't see it.
Speaking of sequels, Universal and Dreamworks have already offered screenwriter Jim Hertzfield a cool $1.1 million to to write a sequel to Meet the Parents. He accepted.

The original (that sounds funny since it opened last week) broke box office records for October by earning $28.6 million on its opening weekend. I contributed my $5 to that total.

The movie was incredibly funny. I didn't think it was going to be that great; but when the reviewers loved it, I decided to give it a shot. I saw it last weekend, and it was one of the funniest movies I have seen this year. It was also pretty clean for a Ben Stiller or Robert DeNiro flick. Both of them have a penchant for making nasty movies.

Pretty tame, huh? It sure looks funny. And man, is it just me, or is Robert DeNiro REALLY busy these days? Men of Honor just came out last month.

And yeah, I'd heard of MiB 2 - I think this is one of those movies where the sequel will be just as good as the original - like Toy Story 2, Terminator 2, and likely The Matrix 2.

I guess before there was an "Upcoming Movies & Sequels" section, there was this thread.

I thought it was gonna be a News thread

Yeah that One Hour Photo, lol! bleah! Crappy film. Really was like a Lifetime movie network piece (a channel like Hallmark).