MoFo art gallery

Tools    

On a boiling hot day in Connecticut, I love this cool image.

An image where only a portion of it features movement. In most animated GIFs or videos even if items are stationary even the slight change of pixels (like film artifacts) registers and feels dynamic. Cinemagraphs isolates the part with the movement so the rest is static producing an effect that adds extra focuses to the moving parts:

@Yoda, I see what you mean. In this one, the man on the right is static & so is the woman in white. This makes the movement of the sea & the other woman’s chiffon dress more beautiful.

A little confused since the code says gif & the poster calls them gifs, but, never mind. 😎

Yeah, they're lovely. And they are almost always GIFs, anyway, because of technical reasons: GIFs are often very big when used for lots of motions, they're not designed for it or compressed the way video on the Internet often is, so they can be absurdly large if they're high-equality (like that one is). But with fewer pixels updating, they're not as big. Still quite big, but less unwieldy, so it's a nice marriage of technical format to artistic style.

@Yoda, I see what you mean. In this one, the man on the right is static & so is the woman in white. This makes the movement of the sea & the other woman’s chiffon dress more beautiful.

A little confused since the code says gif & the poster calls them gifs, but, never mind. 😎
They are all GIFs. But some of them (like the one you quoted) are cinemagraphs as @Yoda said. I make them with photoshop and other tools.(A Cinemagraph has to loop seemlessly so you can't tell where it ends or begins)

I did this one from a TV series called 'The Sinner':

It's a cinemagraph because the boy is still.

Similarly, this one is a cinemagraph of sorts that I did - combined with a bit of the movies typography to make an animated movie poster:

Some I do are better than others, this is from Better Cal Saul:

Hereditary:

You were Never Really Here:

waco (TV Series)

A Quiet Place:

Come and See:

Return of the Jedi:

The Conversation:

@ScarletLion, brilliant. Are they hard to do? The one from Gomorrah is still my fave. I could look at that all day. Would make a great screensaver.

@ScarletLion, brilliant. Are they hard to do? The one from Gomorrah is still my fave. I could look at that all day. Would make a great screensaver.
Some are easier than others. It's about masking which elements you want to stay still really. There are some people that are able to do these on a different level to me.

https://iwdrm.tumblr.com/

there's a frog in my snake oil
Well damn it seems I'm bringing down the tone here . (Loving the cinemagraphs!)

But here's a terrible animation experiment made in virtual reality...

Just messing about trying to get the basics down. What the pros can do with it can get pretty slick though.