Twilight and other books/movie themes for kids discussion

Tools    

I'm just confused as to why, Twilight or not, why start a hate thread

And as the others have said, Twilight is dead anyways. The popularity died after the 2nd movie in 2009.
The sequels were spewed out to get teeny-boppers into cinemas but it still didn't break much ground.
Late-noughties pop-fluff that sold a few tickets and became obscure the instant it was taken out of cinemas, there's no point in starting hate threads on it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
OK three times lucky. it was brought up by someone else in an intro thread and we started talking about it. I felt bad that we were hijacking so I said I would start another thread. I find themes in literature and movies interesting so decided to start this one. Is there a problem? If so, I'm happy to have it deleted. I haven't abused people who like it - I said they were welcome to join in to discuss the themes. I also hijacked my own thread to show (I thought) that it was a light hearted discussion thread.

As for Prometheus...eh, I can barely get worked up over that either. It's not good, but still, for all we know we'll start to look back on it fondly after Covenant drops.
I was a bit more serene about it too, but then I heard that Del Toro did not make Mountains of Madness precisely because Prometheus was so badly received. In other words, because it was such a turd.

This isn't to hijack the topic, mind you, but rather on the question of deserved hatred.

It's cool, I mean, talk about what you want
I was just wondering why an actual hate thread is all.

Twilight is crap though

It's cool, I mean, talk about what you want
I was just wondering why an actual hate thread is all.

Twilight is crap though

It was just a controversial grab title. I was in the mood for lively debate and had no party to go to on a week night night to cause a ruckus.

Welcome to the human race...
I was a bit more serene about it too, but then I heard that Del Toro did not make Mountains of Madness precisely because Prometheus was so badly received. In other words, because it was such a turd.

This isn't to hijack the topic, mind you, but rather on the question of deserved hatred.
Hmm, I did not know that. Not sure how much you can really hold it against the film, but whatever.

I suppose it's a bit like me when the RoboCop remake was announced and the details were coming in on what they were doing with it.
I took to the RoboCop Remake thread and was absolutely thraping it to death in the months leading up to the release. I even called for a boycott lolololol!
I was soooo pissed at the ideas they were coming out with for the movie.

I really thought I was expecting the worst, yet the finished result was waaaay worse than I expected.

Welcome to the human race...
Didn't you give it 1.5 popcorns in a review? That strikes me as a "pretty bad but could still be worse" kind of rating.

Yeah rated it 23%, which was a
Pretty much all of that 23% mainly came from the decently rendered CGI... I say decently rendered... it was overused.

Hey wut...you guys have hijacked my own hijack.

that's fine by me. I don't mind a jolly good hijack. I have to go and watch the next episode of Black Sails so back tomorrow to start another controversial grab with the lack of peens in Secret Life of Pets. I found that very disturbing. We're all pet owners here, right? Why are animated hollywood films not showing peepees on animals? It's not like it's a grenade launcher.

OK that's a bit of a controversial title but I was hijacking an intro thread so thought I would start a new one. Fans of the books or movies also welcome. Not here to pick a fight - just to discuss the themes.

I saw the first movie one morning when my dogs woke me up at 3am. Didnt know anything about it. Almost switched it off because it looked like an emo teen romcom and that's not my thing, but had nothing else to watch so gave it a go. To this day I have no idea why my husband got it for me. He knows I'm not big on screen teens or romcoms. I thought it was pretty cute for a vampire flick.

Then I started reading about the hype. Decided to buy the book for *ahum* toilet reading. Then I found out author was a mormon and I was fascinated. I don't know any mormons but this got me interested.

Well, I have a 10 year old niece who can string a sentence together more effectively than Stephanie whatsername. That was my first problem. Then the themes started jumping out at me. here is my list. I'll probably think of more if the thread takes off.

1.Teenage girls stink. As it turns out later, they stink good, not like the gag reflex he first had on seeing her.
2. It's OK to be an emo if you're super brainy.
3. Teenage boys have bad teeth but that's OK if they have a huge jaw.
4. 100 year old man stalking a 17 year old girl is romantic, because he loves her and wants to protect her.
5. It's also romantic for 100 year old guy to perve at 17 year old teen while she sleeps in her underwear every night.
6. Kissing encourages domestic violence and it's the chick's fault that guy can't control himself.

I then started reading the other books thinking that her writing might get it together (wrong!), because my much older sister was loving them, and I was obsessed with the themes.

7. Dogs stink, and they really stink.
8. Girls who bleed bring violence upon themselves.
9. It's OK for a house full of adopted kids to start bonking.
10. Teens who are suicidal after a broken romance dont need psychiatric evaluation, love, support and communication.
11. Italy has underground secret societies in areas frequented by families where little kids get slaughtered. Must be where the pizzagate conspiracy theory started.
12. Losing your virginity on your wedding night is a violent affair that breaks the bed and trashes the honeymoon suite.
13. Natural childbirth will kill you.
14. It's OK for a dog/human to fall in love and lust with a child.
15. being a total control freak and keeping your wife away from her father is perfectly acceptable.

WTF did I just write. I'm sure there is more locked in my tiny brain.

Sorry again for the late response, my friend! I post infrequently during the evening and you caught me during the rare evening where I post at all.

Wow...I just read a boatload of Twilight trivia that I wasn't aware of...garbage...pure garbage....wow...

Sorry again for the late response, my friend! I post infrequently during the evening and you caught me during the rare evening where I post at all.

Wow...I just read a boatload of Twilight trivia that I wasn't aware of...garbage...pure garbage....wow...

Hey no problemo, champ. You're free to get back to me in your own time. I'd be really curious to know if your wife has any friends who have brought up this kind of stuff.

Commander Clementine doesn't deserve a thread either but I'll be in there to comment on the clown and global laughing stock as soon as I make a pot of tea. Back in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Hey no problemo, champ. You're free to get back to me in your own time. I'd be really curious to know if your wife has any friends who have brought up this kind of stuff.
She sure does. They try to get her to read it all the time but she continually declines.
She told me how Edward follows Bella around like Christian Grey does in those stupid 50 Shades books.
She also told me that some people complained about how those books dragged and lagged and how the writer pads the hell out of them, describing mundane details.
I also heard that both the Twilight and 50 Shades books suffer from a common problem: the male characters not speaking or acting like men.
I heard stories of people throwing those books against walls, too.

It was just a controversial grab title. I was in the mood for lively debate and had no party to go to on a week night night to cause a ruckus.
IMO the title of your thread Twilight haters thread is designed to be inflammatory and prompt fighting. Or as you call it 'lively debate...to cause a ruckus'.

That's the exact kind of posting style that IMDB is famous for: fan-boys and fan-girls bashing each other, for no other reason than to do it.

This is MoFo...we're serious cinema fans, we discuss cinema in depth. We're proud of our little MoFo community and it's established customs and traditions.

IMDB people are warmly welcome to join us here and be part of MoFo. Just remember when in Rome...

I wanted to burn them but I've never agreed with book burning so that made me feel bad. I offered them to a friend who wanted to read them to see what the fuss was about (twilight books, not the fanfiction that followed).