Twilight and other books/movie themes for kids discussion

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
OK that's a bit of a controversial title but I was hijacking an intro thread so thought I would start a new one. Fans of the books or movies also welcome. Not here to pick a fight - just to discuss the themes.

I saw the first movie one morning when my dogs woke me up at 3am. Didnt know anything about it. Almost switched it off because it looked like an emo teen romcom and that's not my thing, but had nothing else to watch so gave it a go. To this day I have no idea why my husband got it for me. He knows I'm not big on screen teens or romcoms. I thought it was pretty cute for a vampire flick.

Then I started reading about the hype. Decided to buy the book for *ahum* toilet reading. Then I found out author was a mormon and I was fascinated. I don't know any mormons but this got me interested.

Well, I have a 10 year old niece who can string a sentence together more effectively than Stephanie whatsername. That was my first problem. Then the themes started jumping out at me. here is my list. I'll probably think of more if the thread takes off.

1.Teenage girls stink. As it turns out later, they stink good, not like the gag reflex he first had on seeing her.
2. It's OK to be an emo if you're super brainy.
3. Teenage boys have bad teeth but that's OK if they have a huge jaw.
4. 100 year old man stalking a 17 year old girl is romantic, because he loves her and wants to protect her.
5. It's also romantic for 100 year old guy to perve at 17 year old teen while she sleeps in her underwear every night.
6. Kissing encourages domestic violence and it's the chick's fault that guy can't control himself.

I then started reading the other books thinking that her writing might get it together (wrong!), because my much older sister was loving them, and I was obsessed with the themes.

7. Dogs stink, and they really stink.
8. Girls who bleed bring violence upon themselves.
9. It's OK for a house full of adopted kids to start bonking.
10. Teens who are suicidal after a broken romance dont need psychiatric evaluation, love, support and communication.
11. Italy has underground secret societies in areas frequented by families where little kids get slaughtered. Must be where the pizzagate conspiracy theory started.
12. Losing your virginity on your wedding night is a violent affair that breaks the bed and trashes the honeymoon suite.
13. Natural childbirth will kill you.
14. It's OK for a dog/human to fall in love and lust with a child.
15. being a total control freak and keeping your wife away from her father is perfectly acceptable.

WTF did I just write. I'm sure there is more locked in my tiny brain.

But no, I've watched the first, and Breaking Dawn: Part 1. I knew I wasn't going to like them, but I figured why not? The first is bad, but there's far worse. The other one? Pretty damn horrid. I never understood the major hatred, though. The series is pretty harmless. A little awkward, and uncomfortable with some of it's story choices, but harmless.

What happened in 2008? I'm not particularly angry at all, unless a spider falls on me and I knee jerk smash it on the head with a broom.

This is a true story about anger towards spiders. Spiders where I am can kill people. Last xmas we took some of our clients out for dinner. I recounted a story of the night before when my husband and I were watching a movie. A spider dropped on me and I dropped off screaming something that started off sounding like FUN, but it ended differently. You get my drift. Husband asked what was wrong and I screamed A SPIDER DROPPED ON ME. He told me to calm down. Then he looked down and saw the spider scurrying towards his beslippered toes. He jumped up screaming something that sounded like FUN, grabbed his slipper and beat it to death with his now binned slipper. I lost count of the number of whacks he gave that poor terrified critter.

I have now hijacked my own thread, and I have plenty more spider stories.

Oddly, I've never seen a single "Twilight" movie, but Kirsten Stewart (why do my lips pucker when I say that?) looked pretty good on SNL, last night. And I guess official came out.. Also slipped the "f" word in the opening and looked really sorry about it.

finally a thread for me, where i can escape all of the oppressive twilight love that i regularly encounter here in the year 2017. it's simply gotten out of hand!
criticker

finally a thread for me, where i can escape all of the oppressive twilight love that i regularly encounter here in the year 2017. it's simply gotten out of hand!
Your banner is Spring Breakers, so we are friends now.

Welcome to the human race...
What happened in 2008? I'm not particularly angry at all, unless a spider falls on me and I knee jerk smash it on the head with a broom.
The joke is that outrage over Twilight peaked back in 2008 so still going on rants about it in 2017 comes across as being extremely out-of-date. I'd make the case that getting angry about Fifty Shades is a lot more relevant these days.

Well twilight was brought up in another thread so rather than keep the hijack going, I suggested bringing it here. I don't see what the problem is *shrugs*

The joke is that outrage over Twilight peaked back in 2008 so still going on rants about it in 2017 comes across as being extremely out-of-date. I'd make the case that getting angry about Fifty Shades is a lot more relevant these days.
But, what about those who missed the hate train back in the days ? Can they not let it go too ?

I'll take my case further. Some books and movies are so bad that they deserve more than 8 years of being hated on. On a side note, I wish the next generation who watches Prometheus would create threads like that for decades to come.

LMAO. Don't get me started on Prometheus. The best thing about that movie was the Honest Trailer. Laughed so much I cried.

I don't even think it's the fact that it is outdated which makes the Twilight hate weird, it's more the fact that it is aimed at teenage girls. I've never understood grown men and women who can get so worked up over something not for them. It's dumb trash yeah but i find it difficult to care about something i'm not being forced to take part in. Same as all the grown men who despised Justin Bieber when he just came out; so much so that they had to bring him up constantly. Even then the Bieber hate is slightly more understandable since you are alot more likely to have to listen to a song maybe in a store or whatever than you ever would have to read or watch Twilight. I watched the first Twilight with my then gf when it came out, it was terrible other than the baseball part but i quickly moved on

I didn't even know who the Beaver was until about a year ago.

But, what about those who missed the hate train back in the days ? Can they not let it go too ?

I'll take my case further. Some books and movies are so bad that they deserve more than 8 years of being hated on. On a side note, I wish the next generation who watches Prometheus would create threads like that for decades to come.
It does seem like we've got better things to worry about than a YA franchise that has long since concluded, peaked in popularity, and started to drift out of the collective consciousness. It's low-hanging fruit for all the reasons that Camo pointed out - at this point, hating on something that teenage girls liked 5-10 years just reflects worse on the hater than the fan, legitimate complaints be damned.

As for Prometheus...eh, I can barely get worked up over that either. It's not good, but still, for all we know we'll start to look back on it fondly after Covenant drops.

What's Covenant? I haven't heard of it.

Back to spider anger because this thread to deflect a hijack in an intro thread sure got some spider anger going

http://27bslash6.com/overdue.html

I was referring to Alien: Covenant, which is like Prometheus in that it involves Ridley Scott returning to the Alien mythology.

I'm generally out of the loop with franchises these days. I just watch movies as they come and go. I am, however, just having some fun with themes. My next upsetting thread will be about the deranged mind of the Australiana author of my favourite kids' book - Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. I have never been able to look at banksia men and lizards the same way since I was five years old. Or anchovies. More on that later.