Recommend me movies I will rate five stars!

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Yawn.

New Hollywood was a contingent of American filmmakers, influenced by foreign art cinema (e.g. French New Wave), who rose to prominence in the late 1960s both within and outside of the Hollywood studio system. The movement was brought upon as a reaction to the declining interest in epics, musicals, and other standard Hollywood fanfare of the time.

New Hollywood directors included (but are not limited to): Martin Scorsese, John Cassavetes, Robert Altman, Brian De Palma, Francis Ford Coppola, Mike Nichols, and Terrence Malick. The movement declined sharply with the start of the blockbuster era in the late 1970s and its ultimate end came in the early 1980s.
One, Two, Three - Wilder
Loved it!
Gate of Hell - Kinugasa
Was meaning to see it since 2013, but my TV would not play a movie with FLAC sound, so I kept postponing watching it as I don't feel like watching anything on my laptop. Will have to get a non-FLAC Blu-ray version of it, or watch it on my laptop. I watched two other films from the director.
Hunger - Carlsen (Not McQueen)
Seen it years ago. It's a great film.
The Best Intentions - August (Written by Bergman, likey likey?)
Yep, I will be watching all Bergman films (both directed and written) I haven't seen, but have to get myself to do it. Chronologically as well, starting from Torment.
The Rise of Louis XIV - Rossellini
Will get to it, but first I have to watch Paisa and then the trilogy with Bergman.
Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets - Terayama
A masterpiece and probably his second best after Pastoral.
Seen this guy's Humanity. A really annoying movie that somehow stayed with me. Not a five star director, though.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Cassavetes was in movies over a decade before Scorsese, who used to work as an errand boy for Cassavetes... First movie he directed was "Shadows" (1959).. and was in movies as an actor... I don't care for labels -- someone reading that who might be thinking of watching a possible movie from one of the directors will lump them altogether. If someone sees one movie they don't like by one of them, they might pass on others.

For me, each movie is it's own genre... Then again, I feel the same about music, etc etc...

New Hollywood was a contingent of American filmmakers, influenced by foreign art cinema (e.g. French New Wave), who rose to prominence in the late 1960s both within and outside of the Hollywood studio system. The movement was brought upon as a reaction to the declining interest in epics, musicals, and other standard Hollywood fanfare of the time.

New Hollywood directors included (but are not limited to): Martin Scorsese, John Cassavetes, Robert Altman, Brian De Palma, Francis Ford Coppola, Mike Nichols, and Terrence Malick. The movement declined sharply with the start of the blockbuster era in the late 1970s and its ultimate end came in the early 1980s.
Closer to vague than rooted in any type of fact. It's a label that will vary depending on who you ask. Is this era all encompassing with every single movie that came out during that time to be included? How about the years before and after? I'm very surprised a big movie buff like yourself would fall for these generalizations. Regardless, you never put a caveat in your thread to omit American films from a certain era. Any other countries that you are putting restrictions on? If so, from what years?

Seen this guy's Humanity. A really annoying movie that somehow stayed with me. Not a five star director, though.
What exactly is a five star director, who decides, can you tell from one film, and do five star directors make nothing but five star films? Anyway, I don't think it's anywhere near a five star film, but of course I don't come into these threads to recommend movies I like. One person who did give it five stars is Tokeza, and I think you'd agree that his taste lines up with yours more than most other mofos.

I'm very surprised a big movie buff like yourself would fall for these generalizations.
It may be a generalization, but the idea of French New Wave or Japanese New Wave is pretty much a generalization, too. Even though, the point of these (and New Hollywood) is more or less "f*ck the old, we found a better/more fresh way to make movies", two French New Wave movies can be pretty distinct in style as well as ideas and the movement has long exceeded just the Cahiers du Cinéma guys. Still, when somebody says a film is French New Wave, it more or less is a trademark of its own and it helps you to place the film in some (however rickety) borders. Categorizations are good as they help you to separate different movements, time eras and types of films. Besides, saying "This month I will have a big Japanese New Wave binge" is much easier than saying "This month I will have a big binge of Japanese movies from very late 50's, 60's and 70's that contradicted the classical way of filmmaking known in Japan prior to these and focused on strong anti-establishment political themes as well as erocitism, which were non-existent before". If you take a New Hollywood film, no matter how vast a definition, and put it next to a classical 40's or early 50's American film - well, there indeed is a difference. To emphasize this change in filmmaking, the term New Hollywood was coined.
Regardless, you never put a caveat in your thread to omit American films from a certain era
I never did it, because I do not want you to omit American movies. At what point exactly did I stress otherwise? By "having a big backlog of New Hollywood cinema" I meant the fact I haven't seen too many from the movement and there still are plenty on my watchlist.
What exactly is a five star director, who decides, can you tell from one film, and do five star directors make nothing but five star films?
I admit I used the term "a five star director" in a rather clumsy way, not really reflecting upon what it exactly means, but the basic idea is I doubt any of this guy's films is a five star one. Just a gut feeling, I may be wrong, but it's highly unlikely.
Anyway, I don't think it's anywhere near a five star film, but of course I don't come into these threads to recommend movies I like. One person who did give it five stars is Tokeza, and I think you'd agree that his taste lines up with yours more than most other mofos.
Fair enough. It has Golubeva whom I like, but low ratings from many of my other film buff friends with a similar taste to mine make it far less likely that this is a five star movie for me. Of course, I can't be sure unless I actually watch it, but the probability is much smaller.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Maybe something more modern?
Have you seen A Moment of Innocence? That honestly is a 5/5.

What about anything from Jia Zhangke or Kim ku-dik?

What about anything from Jia Zhangke or Kim ku-dik?
I believe I've seen all Kim Ki-duk films minus 5 or something. I really love the guy and I 5/5'd Spring, Summer... I've only seen The Platform from Zhangke. which I loved (4.5/5) and A Touch of Sin, which I liked (3.5/5). I have Pickpocket ready to watch for ages, but I don't feel like it. The World has a lot of potential as well, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Yeah, he's seen it and gave it less than 5 if i remember correctly.

Actually, I'm not crazy about Kiarostami, but I'm planning to watch his Koker trilogy, so my opinion of him may change.

Deep End (1970) by Jerzy Skolimowski

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Closer to vague than rooted in any type of fact. It's a label that will vary depending on who you ask. Is this era all encompassing with every single movie that came out during that time to be included? How about the years before and after? I'm very surprised a big movie buff like yourself would fall for these generalizations. Regardless, you never put a caveat in your thread to omit American films from a certain era. Any other countries that you are putting restrictions on? If so, from what years?

What exactly is a five star director, who decides, can you tell from one film, and do five star directors make nothing but five star films? Anyway, I don't think it's anywhere near a five star film, but of course I don't come into these threads to recommend movies I like. One person who did give it five stars is Tokeza, and I think you'd agree that his taste lines up with yours more than most other mofos.
My guess if Minio should watch one film of Dumont it should be Camille Claudel, 1915.

movies can be okay...
How about Santa Sangre ? El Topo ? The Holy Mountain ? Endless Poetry ?
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

How about Santa Sangre ? El Topo ? The Holy Mountain ? Endless Poetry ?
In the order you listed them:

You seriously thought I'm unfamiliar with Jodorovsky?

movies can be okay...
In the order you listed them:

You seriously thought I'm unfamiliar with Jodorovsky?

Let me try again after actually going through your RYM profile.

movies can be okay...
Based on your RYM profile, I'm pretty sure you haven't seen any of these, so check 'em out:

- Anomalisa by Charlie Kaufman
- Magical Girl by Carlos Vermut
- Rosetta / The Kid with a Bike by the Dardenne Brothers
- Winter Sleep / Three Monkeys by Nuri Bilge Ceylan
- Revanche by Götz Spielmann
- Dogtooth by Yorgos Lanthimos
- Graduation by Cristian Mungiu
- The Skin I Live In by Pedro Almodóvar
- Norte, The End of History by Lav Diaz
- Gett: The Trial of Vivianne Amsalem by Ronit and Shlomi Elkabetz
- Thirst by Park Chan-wook
- May by Lucky McKee