MovieGal's Scandinavian Film Log

→ in
Tools    

As I enjoy films from Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland, I decided to re-watch some from the past and create some new favorites as well. I decided to rate my films differently in this thread than the other threads... I will actually use 1 to 10 out of 10.

January 1, 2016

Bølgen
(2015, Norway)
Directed by Roar Uthaug
8.5/10

This was a highly enjoyable film. It provided a great story, which was based on an actual even from 1930's but brought into modern times. I feel this film is far better than most American cinema films based on natural disasters.

I like disaster films and that looks like a good one. Is it action all the way through?
Yes.. enough to hold your breathe for periods of time and your adrenaline to run high... believe me when that tsunami hits.. you will definitely find it better than American films.

I may need encouragement to continue to watch.. I have many to re watch and many I want to watch... so help me keep it going!

Will do. First thing, treat yourself to rewatches of Insomnia and A Royal Affair.
Right now watching one of my favorite Finnish films and was thinking of either Pusher or King of Devil's Island next. But I will be watching those too soon.

I know Home of the Dark Butterflies, When Heaven Falls and Evil will be within the next week as rewatches as well. I have many new ones to see to.

January 1, 2016

Kerron Sinulle Kaiken
(2013, Finland)
Directed by Simo Halinen
8/10
Re-watch

This is such a good romantic drama. A bit unusual but still good. Maarit is a transgender who is struggling with many objects in her life and even more when she meets Sami, a married man who she falls in love with, who is struggling with marriage problems of his own. This is a re-watch for me and it is a favorite.

Cool idea for a thread, quite like most of the Scandic stuff we've seen but we've barely scratched the surface and it's not always easy to get a good feel for whether or not a particular movie from there might be worth purchasing or not so it'll be really helpful to have your perspective on the one's you put up in here

Already Bølgen looks like it may be of interest

I hope you'll do some Lukas Moodysson films.
I have seen "Lilya 4-Ever" and "Hole In My Heart" but its been a few years.. perhaps I will give them a re-watch.. and check out some of his other films.

January 4, 2016

Kongen av Bastøy
(2010, Norway)
Directed by Marius Holst
7.5/10
Re-watch

This is a rewatch for me. This film is based on a true story of an uprising that took place at Bastøy Boys' Home in Norway in 1915.

Start watching 'Murican movies like a true 'Murican dammit!
Nah, I love my Scandie movies... they are the bomb!!

But 'Murican movies have

'SPLOSIONS
Im sure some Scandies do as well... just havent found one yet... well there is a dead body ran over by a subway car in "Harjunpää & pahan pappi", a great Eurocrime film!

Watched King Of Devil's Island a couple of years ago, it's a good film!

No sign of Bølgen on dvd on Amazon yet so you'll have to keep this thread updated periodically to enable me to remember to keep checking for it (you did say a little encouragement for you to keep watching wouldn't go amiss)