MovieGal's Top Female Vocalists (not in any order)

Tools    

I love Fairuz, Karen Carpenter, Janis Ian, Clare Torry, ABBA, Grace Slick, Stevie Nicks, Diana Ross, Dee Dee Warwick, Dionne Warwick

I don't understand what she's singing, but her voice is AMAZING.. (great overall song in general)

Fairuz is absolutely amazing! A legend in the Arab World, particularly in Lebanon, where she comes from.

Surprised to find her here, but she deserves the nod.

Ann Wilson
(Heart)

Ann and her sister, Nancy, are the vocals behind the band "Heart". Another band I grew up listening to. They have had multiple hits thru two decades, "Magic Man", "Crazy On You", "Barracuda" and the hits continue.

Tarja Turunen

Tarja is a female vocalist from Finland, one of the founding members of the Symphonic Metal band "Nightwish". Nightwish had many hits under the vocals of Tarja. In 2006, she started her solo career.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Fairuz is absolutely amazing! A legend in the Arab World, particularly in Lebanon, where she comes from.

Surprised to find her here, but she deserves the nod.
She was big in France too.. Then again, most older Lebanese know French.

I love Heart as well... I only know a few Phoebe Snow songs, but I liked her voice (Poetry Man).. Carole King is also a great singer.. A few Carly Simon songs are cool.

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John, English-born Australia singer who graces the American airwaves in the mid 1970's. She has had many hits through her vocal career including five No. 1 and ten other Top Ten Billboard Hot 100 singles. She has sold an estimated 100 million albums, which makes her the number 1 top selling artist. She has starred in 4 major film hits and has many songs on soundtracks as well. In 1974, she had the hit "If You Love (Let Me Know)."

Charlotte Wessels
(Delain)

Charlotte is the lead singer for the Dutch Symphonic band "Delain". I found this band on my seach for more Symphonic Metal from Europe. She began her music career at a early age with the Gothic Metal band "To Elysium".

Hey people, just fyi, I will be posting more but Im going to try to do 3 or 2 a day. I will be posting some female singers you never heard of. I think Minio knows of one Im going to post but I dont think anyone knows of her. Some of them will be in foreign language. Just like my films, I like my music. If it sounds good to me, I listen.

Big thumbs up for Ann Wilson. I love Heart!
Mojo, I think you are close to Silent Vamp, Cricket and my age and I know you enjoy classic rock as well.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Olivia Newton-John is one of my favorite female vocalists.

Surprisingly, my least favorite of her songs is "Physical", which was one of her biggest hits. I also loved her in the movies Grease and Xanadu.

Mojo, I think you are close to Silent Vamp, Cricket and my age and I know you enjoy classic rock as well.

I'm turning 38 next month.

I grew up in the 80's, and I was a fan of the movies and music.

As matter of fact, I have a Facebook Group Page that I created dedicated to all things 80's called I'm an 80's Child.

Check it out

Cyndi Lauper

Back in the early 1980's, I was a young teenage girl and I knew I wanted what Cyndi wanted, I just wanted to be young and have fun! To me, Cyndi Lauper has the most amazing voice! Even today! Her first album was released in 1983 and she had four top 5 Billboard hits with "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", "Time after Time", "She Bop" and "All The The Night". Even after she dropped out of the 80's culture limelight, she continued on to make amazing music!

Sharon den Adel
(Within Temptation)

First thing you need to know is that I am a HUGE Within Temptation fan and fan of Sharon den Adel. Her voice is amazing to me! That's why I paired her with Cyndi Lauper. Within Temptation is a Dutch Symphonic Metal band. Their first cd was released in 1997 and they became prominent in the Dutch underground music scene. Their music has been considered "Doom Metal", "Goth Metal" and "Symphonic Metal".

I found Within Temptation's cd "The Heart of Everything" a few years back at Hot Topic and bought it on a whim. I am glad I did! They are popular on the east coast of the United States but haven't made it to the Midwest yet!

Sharon and Tarja

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm turning 38 next month.

I grew up in the 80's, and I was a fan of the movies and music.

As matter of fact, I have a Facebook Group Page that I created dedicated to all things 80's called I'm an 80's Child.

Check it out
I was born in 1982, but 99.9% of the stuff I listen to was made before that... All different types of music from bands/artists from the 60's and 70's

I was born in 1982, but 99.9% of the stuff I listen to was made before that... All different types of music from bands/artists from the 60's and 70's
Im older than you both... Im 1 year and 6 months shy of 50! My music style is everywhere... I enjoy most everything...

All comments are welcome and appreciated but please don't be negative. Just say its not your thing and move on.
So not all comments are welcome and appreciated, then?.

Madonna

Yes being a teen girl in the 1980s, you had to listen to the Queen of Pop, Madonna. She hit the scene big with "Everybody" in 1982. Continue to release hits on her first LP such "Lucky Star", "Borderline", "Burning Up" and "Borderline". She continued to make hit after hit, she continues to do so today. She has starred in the "Vision Quest" and "Desperately Seeking Susan" and continued as an hit star actress as well. Madonna was a fashion icon for young girls in the early 80's as well.

Cristina Scabbia
(Lacuna Coil)

Cristina is lead female vocalist for the Goth Metal band "Lacuna Coil" from Milan, Italy. They hit the American scene in 2002 on the Fuse tv series "Uranium, which featured videos of bands in the metal genres. Their first hit was "Heaven's A Lie". Lacuna Coil continues to put out music and their audience has widen throughout the United States.

Joan Jett
(Joan Jett and the Blackhearts)

Joan Jett, former founding member of the band "The Runaways", hit the American airwaves in 1980 with the song "Bad Reputation" as a solo artist. After her initial success, she created the band Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Their 2nd album contained hits with a remake of the Arrow's song "I Love Rock'nRoll", which brought Joan Jett and the Blackhearts into the limelight. They continued on the album with "Crimson and Clover", "Summertime Blues", "Nag", a Runaways song titled "You're Too Possessive" and "Bits and Pieces". They released other albums with hits like "Everyday People" (originally recorded by "Sly and the Family Stone") and "Tossin' & Turnin' (Bobby Lewis) and another Runaways' cover of "Cherry Bomb" which was a top 10 hit in the United States and Japan for the Runaways.

Alanis Morissette

In 1995, Alanis Morissette hit the alternative rock airwaves with the song "You Oughta Know" and continued with other songs off the same album, "Jagged Little Pill", with "Ironic", "You Learn", "Hand In My Pocket" and "Head over Feet". She continued with "Thank U", "That I Would Be Good", "Unsent" and "Joining You". Alanis had a commercial hit with her first album but did not have such luck with her second.

Alanis even played "God" in Kevin Smith's film, "Dogma".

I love Cristina Scabbia, even though I'm not a fan of the bands music overall. She has a great voice and, frankly, is one of the hottest chicks ever.