Hannibal

Tools    

Exterminate all rational thought.
The unseen conversation that would happen after she sees Freddie alive is where she would learn of a lot of stuff. There is no way she sees Freddie alive and doesn't ask questions. Jack showing her Freddie is alive would inevitably lead to him telling her he and Will's plan. At the very least it would lead to them giving her enough information to have doubts of Hannibal's innocence.

But what could she possibly learn in this unseen conversation that would persuade her? All it shows is that Will faked Freddie's death. Not only is this not evidence against Hannibal, but it's really evidence that her view of Will--that he's kinda losing it and become obsessed--was correct. And he had a plan before, too. Not only did that not convince her, but it's pretty much exactly what drove her into Hannibal's arms in the first place.

I'm fine with shows skipping over exposition that we can easily fill in ourselves, but I can't think of anything to fill in these gaps with. What new information or evidence does Will actually have to show her?

Exterminate all rational thought.
Will doesn't show her. Jack does. I just went back and verified it in Ko No Mono, the conversation leading up to Jack showing her Freddie is alive shows she is starting to doubt. She's a strong woman who doesn't want to believe she's misjudged someone so poorly especially since she's a psychiatrist. It is fairly safe to assume that Jack would be able to convince her as he's a pragmatist without Will's issues. There would definitely be a conversation after Jack shows her that Freddie is still alive, there's no way a woman of her intelligence is just going to let that go. And IMO if Will is able to convince Jack, then Jack should be able to convince Alana.

I don't really get what you mean by things like "she would have questions" or "there would be a conversation." Of course she would have questions--I'm asking what the answers could be. It's not like Freddie being alive would convince her just because it's shocking, even though it doesn't implicate Hannibal in any way. It's not like they're fighting over a gun and we can say "and in the ensuing scuffle..."

I think you're right when you say "Jack convinced her." That's probably what the show wants us to conclude, but that seems to validate the criticism, because we're not given the slightest idea of how he might do that.

I've been inclined to forgive a lot of the more over-the-top elements of this show, because that's what it is, and always has been. To watch it is to accept that. But it's also been almost exclusively about what motivates people, and who they believe, and why. It's been downright obsessed with exploring motivations, so to suddenly skip right over a major change of heart feels really odd.

She went to Grahams house. Why?! If she thought he really killed Freddie Lounds then why would she? Why accuse him to his face? There was a time she thought Lecter innocent, but I think Alana Bloom being a psychiatrist, being so close to all the circumstances, and being in a relationship with Hannibal opened her eyes in itself. When Graham put the gun in her hand she mentally freaked a little because a killer just wouldnt.

So youre right that they didnt show the beginnings of her doubts until the porch scene with Graham, and they didnt show any epiphany on Jacks part either other than he was unconvinced how it all went down with Chilton.

When it came out Graham was innocent then they both started listening to him is my guess.

Cool, thanks for posting that!

While I was still pretty let down by the end of last year, it's still a really good show, and it's easy to imagine it taking The Leap at any point (though I thought/said the same thing after season 1). And it sounds like it'll be very different from the previous two seasons, for obvious reasons. So yeah, certainly looking forward to it.

Are you kidding? the fight between Jack and Hannibal was awesome.. but then it shows Mads' ability. If you want to see him fight again... watch "Valhalla Rising"... Im sure that is not a stunt double.

Really need to get this watched. Still only watched the first 3 episodes, and I have my friends copy of the First Season in my house so I have no excuses. While i did enjoy the episodes i watched it failed to grip me, but my friend said it gets alot better in the Second Season. Would everyone here agree with that out of interest?

I think its well done. There are some things in the show that are a bit shocking for mainstream TV.

Really need to get this watched. Still only watched the first 3 episodes, and I have my friends copy of the First Season in my house so I have no excuses. While i did enjoy the episodes i watched it failed to grip me, but my friend said it gets alot better in the Second Season. Would everyone here agree with that out of interest?
Honestly, its not an exact retelling of the first three novels, and they've changed some minor stuff out of necessity (copyrights), and for creative (they still havent caught Hannibal). Give it a watch as its still better than most of the stuff out there that you watch. I suggest one episode a day as its sooooo dark and gorey.

I enjoy the fact that is dark and gorey and well... you all know the other reason I watch it.... He makes the perfect Hannibal... the quiet type.... as stated in my signature by Mads.

Honestly, its not an exact retelling of the first three novels, and they've changed some minor stuff out of necessity (copyrights), and for creative (they still havent caught Hannibal). Give it a watch as its still better than most of the stuff out there that you watch. I suggest one episode a day as its sooooo dark and gorey.
Thanks for your response. I've never read any of the Hannibal books so i doubt that will bother me. Honestly i've had no problems with the content so far, from the images Movie Gal posted the Fungus Episode which i believe was the 2nd or 3rd was my favourite. It does seem to be one of or possibly the most championed shows, since Breaking Bad finished; that as well as the fact that it's one of my friends favourite shows makes me want to continue with it.

I enjoy the fact that is dark and gorey and well... you all know the other reason I watch it.... He makes the perfect Hannibal... the quiet type.... as stated in my signature by Mads.
Am i remembering correctly that you actually think Anthony Hopkins was a better Hannibal MG?

Yes Anthony Hopkins is the best... but Mads is next behind... not a fan of Brian Cox's Hannibal from Manhunter.... but lets see what season 3 brings....Mads may surpass Hopkins.

Yes Anthony Hopkins is the best... but Mads is next behind... not a fan of Brian Cox's Hannibal from Manhunter.... but lets see what season 3 brings....Mads may surpass Hopkins.
I hope Anthony Hopkins does a guest spot one episode. Probably no shot in hell of that happening, same with Jodie Foster. They are beyond tv.