Damien Chazelle discussion

Tools    

Di je Karlo?
I just saw his latest film, First Man, and I want to voice my thoughts about Chazelle, his style, his films, where he will go from here, and so on.

If you don't know who he is...

He's the director behind, Whiplash, La La Land and First Man. He's also the youngest winner of the "best director" oscar, winning it at the age of 32 for La La Land.

His films and my thoughts:

I'm aware that he had an indie film in 2009 named "Guy and Madeline on a park bench", but I haven't seen it yet. Probably will one day, if just for completion's sake.

His second film, Whiplash, is my favourite movie of the 2010s. Going in, I thought it was out of my comfort zone, so you can chalk my fondness of it up to low expectations, but that doesn't mean it's not a great film. It's one of those films where you can really tell that the director cares about the subject matter (Chazelle used to be a jazz drummer himself), and it features probably the best anti-hero since Tyler Durden; Terrence Fletcher. The strong-looking, drill sergeant-voiced J.K. Simmons was the perfect choice for the actor. Let me show you what I mean:

His third film, La La Land, is his most well-known one, but I'd still argue Whiplash is better due to its stronger story, message, and actor choice. If we're talking about direction alone, La La Land would be his absolute best, but I feel like it's been let down by the fact that its lead is Emma Stone playing a character called "Mia", which has "unlikeable" written all over it. Though, the writing does manage to evoke pathos for her, as well as the actually pretty likeable Sebastian (Ryan Gosling). Another thing worth noting is that it's a 40's style musical that uses its music numbers sparingly, but effectively. You'll have to forgive me for using buzz words, but some of them are electrifying. Seeing as how it grossed almost half a billion, it may end up remembered as the definitive 2010s movie, like what Back to the Future is to the 80s, and I'd be glad if it did.

His latest film, First Man, a biopic about Neil Armstrong, which wasn't fantastic, but it was still good. Ryan Gosling's prefoance was good, and like his previous two films, it was still good at making you feel what the protagonist is feeling. Not much to say here.

What's his style?
One recurring theme I've noticed is having a stiff, obsessive nerd as a protagonist. Andrew Neiman, Sebastian, and Neil Armstrong are all like that. I doubt he'll keep doing this for the rest of his career, though.

His strong suit, like Tarantino's sharp dialogue and Hitchcock's sense of intrigue, is immersion. Watching Whiplash, I always felt the same respect for Fletcher as Andrew. Watching First Man, I was just as awestruck as Neil when he landed on the Moon. Look at this clip from La La Land and you'll see what I mean.

It's impossible not to be carried away.

Where will he go from here?

It goes without saying that he has a solid directing career in the bag. The question I'm trying to ask here is how respected of a director will he end up being? I know it's too early to know for sure, but I predict he'll end up in the same league as Christopher Nolan and the Coen brothers; just a great director with a solid legacy. I wouldn't put my money on him becoming an industry icon like Alfred Hitchcock, but I'm certain he'll garner more respect than the good-but-not-great directors like Tim Burton or Peter Jackson.

What do you think?

I haven't watched First Man yet, and to be honest I find space really boring so probably wouldnt have any interest in seeing it...but I am because of the director.

Whiplash and La La Land are two brilliant films, and so much of what makes them great is the direction. The lighting, the perspectives, the way the music is used, the colours etc. Yes they also have great lead actors playing excellent characters, but it is the way the whole thing is put together that makes both stand out.

Both of those are so dependent on music as a theme, I'm very interested to see what he does with First Man as it is quite a jump from those first two in that sense.

Welcome to the human race...
I think that Tyler Durden and Terence Fletcher are not meant to be looked at as anti-heroes.

As for Chazelle, I've seen all three of his main features and, while I'm inclined to say Whiplash is his best so far, I do question whether or not that's because it manages to tap into the kind of accessibly aggressive and hypermasculine sense of cinema you get from films like Taxi Driver or Fight Club (you could easily lump Andrew in with the likes of Travis Bickle or The Narrator) that's enjoyable on a gut level but a little more difficult to intellectually rationalise. It's certainly confident in terms of craftsmanship, but I do worry that I'll think a lot less of it if I ever revisit it. La La Land at least manages to take a different tack by going for an old-school romantic musical vibe, which I feel rather ambivalent about but ultimately don't hate. I appreciate First Man as a significant diversion that shows he has versatility beyond music-based movies (especially when there's hardly any music in it at all) and, while I'd still consider it a slightly-above-average biopic, it's certainly got enough moments where he can show off his talent.

In short, I think he goes alright.

I think that as a film-maker his films are getting progressively worse as he works through different forms of inspiration.

His work is still very good though and I feel like the blame for First Man's shortcomings comes likely from the Spielberg productions.

Visually First Man is one of the most ambitious and beautiful films of the year, and Goslings personification of the complications of Armstrongs personality are a sight to beheld. The problem with the film is Claire Foy's character not her performance. If you are going to tell a story of the complications of this marriage and the parallels of the space program, by all means do so or if you are going to tell Armstrongs quest and journey to be the first man on the moon do that.

This might just do nobody any good.
I just saw First Man and my hot take is that Janet’s character and her and Neil’s commitment to one another is well written and executed, exemplified by the final shot of the film which, more than the previous at the crater, reframed the narrative from that of Neil’s place in a particular watershed moment in history to one couple’s struggle and determination to moving forward without loosening their grip on what they loss and how to make the memory count.