Watching films as a non-native speaker - headphones vs. speakers

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hey, as most of you know, I'm not a native speaker and I can't claim English proficiency, but I think I'm content with how good my English is right now. However, there is one thing that annoys me. Most of the time I watch a film on headphones I can understand everything perfectly. Be it YT videos, actual movies (unless they are using some crazy accent), podcasts, or whatever you can think of. However, when I lay back on my couch and watch a film on my TV with (built-in) speakers, I always feel uncomfortable and need to put on subtitles. That is, I understand considerably less! This got me thinking, what's the actual reason for this. Is it the distance between TV and my ears and sound dispersing along the way, as opposed to it getting straight into my ears with headphones? I'm not sure if it's about the volume as I experienced this at cinema, too (willingly did not look at Polish subtitles).

By the way, I have no problem with understanding people speaking English in real life as well.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Most likely the sound recording of the original movie. Earlier movies had a few problems with some of their especially-"tinny" sound quality, while modern movies seem to fluctuate between loud action and ultra-subdued dialogue.