Nope's 50 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

How can anyone forget Fargo? That's right, you just can't.

Great film and one which I love more and more with every rewatch! it's not a favorite yet, but it very well could be in the future.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Citizen Kane

Another film that can easily be called a masterpiece, in fact some people call this the greatest movie every made. Every single thing about this movie is absolutely incredible. Not only the technical and artistic aspects, but also the history behind making the film. Orson Welles was in his twenties when he made this film, and this still amazes me to this day. I'm not going to go into much detail about Citizen Kane now, because everything about the movie has been explored immensely. If you haven't already, I would defiantly recommend Roger Ebert's review of this film, for it is probably the greatest review ever written. Who knows, maybe one day I'll write my own review, but today is not that day.

Ebert's Review

Raging Bull

I have absolutely no idea why some people found this movie boring. Raging Bull was one of the most exciting movie experiences in my entire life, and it gets better every time I see it. This movie proves Martin Scorsese's talent, and I think it is his Magnum Opus. Every shot, camera angle, and line of dialogue is meticulously planned out and perfectly delivered. Robert DeNiro gives probably one of the greatest performances of all time, showing the slowly decaying life of real boxer Jake Lamotta. That's another great thing about this movie, it's true. The story is so incredible, it's amazing most of this actually happened. When I watched The Wold of Wall Street, I noticed many similarities between it and this film. Scorsese has mastered the character study (Taxi Driver, Goodfellas), and it all started with this film.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I haven't seen much of your list but i have seen Raging Bull, great film.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I hope you aren't referring to me when you talk about people who found Raging Bull boring. I was merely joking back then.

Two films I enjoyed but they both need rewatches because of the hype clouding my mind on both occassions.

Pulp Fiction

If you were to change anything about Pulp Fiction, it wouldn't be as good. Everything was done perfectly to make this movie as incredible as it is. While this isn't my favorite Tarantino, it is his most impressive, and the best screenplay he's written so far. This movie has everything that I love. A great screenplay, great score, great acting, great directing, and great everything else. This movie is a masterpiece, and used to be me favorite for a short while.

Haven't been commenting much but just want to say you have a fantastic list! Can't wait for the top 2!

Reservoir Dogs

Another film that has absolutely everything I love about movies. Most of my opinions on this film are very similar to my opinions on Pulp Fiction, and I believe they are very similar movies. The reason I like this film more however is its contained story. While I love the multiple perspective storytelling that Pulp Fiction has, this film just seems simpler, and that's why I love it. It's so simple yet so complex. Another great thing I love about this movie is the way that it gives you information. When you first watch the film you have no idea who these people are, but when you see it again, you understand every character, every motive, and every action. Each scene gives you new information that adds to the story and characters. I especially enjoy Tim Roth's performance, because when you see the movie again, you can notice the subtle nuances he adds to his character. Every scene in this film is filled with great dialog and incredible acting. I love this film, and one day, it might just become my favorite.

Oh hell yeah! Infinitely agree with you on Reservoir Dogs, one of my all-time favorites as well. I just re-watched it a few days ago and I still think it's absolutely phenomenal.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I know what your number 1 is gonna be, and if it is what I'm thinking then I definitely agree with that one as well!

Fight Club

Here it is, #1, my favorite movie of all time. I'm sure some of you saw this coming, as I do speak of this movie quite a lot on this forum. The reason that this film is my favorite is just because I enjoy it more than any other film I have yet to see. I could talk about the technical reasons I like Fight Club, but the only thing I like about this film more than any other is its enjoyment, and I think that qualifies it to be the top spot for my list. Now on to why I love this movie. Most of the reason I love this film so much is its story. It's a story that you can think about for days and still enjoy. I read the book soon after I first watched the film, and it was not nearly as incredible as the movie was, and that proves how much Jim Uhls' screenplay expanded on the source material. This is a movie that you can watch once, never think about again, and still love. It's also a movie that you can speculate about, talk about, and theorize about for months without getting bored. Edward Norton is one of my top 3 actors, and Brad Pitt gives unarguably the greatest performance of his entire career. The directing is fantastic, the soundtrack is incredible, the cinematography is stunning, and the movie is perfect.

Thank you to everyone who followed along with this list, it was really fun, and took a lot longer than I thought it would.
I will probably make a revised Top 50 in a year or so, and there are already movies that I would add and remove from this list.

Now here is my full list for anyone who wants to rate/compare it:

1. Fight Club
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Raging Bull
5. Citizen Kane
6. Fargo
7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
8. Casablanca
9. Dr Stangelove
10. North by Northwest
11. Modern Times
12. Singin' in the Rain
13. The Shawshank Redemption
14. Whiplash
15. Memento
16. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
17. Shaun of the Dead
18. 12 Angry Men
19. The Usual Suspects
20. Taxi Driver
21. The Road Warrior
22. Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2
23. The Big Lebowski
24. Being John Malkovich
25. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
26. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
27. Jurassic Park
28. American Beauty
29. Donnie Darko
30. The Graduate
31. Back to the Future Part II
32. Back to the Future
33. The Bridge on the River Kwai
34. In Bruges
35. Pinocchio
36. Rear Window
37. Adaptation.
38. The Day the Earth Stood Still
39. Star Wars
40. Raiders of the Lost Ark
41. Toy Story
42. Léon: The Professional
43. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
44. Chinatown
45. The Departed
46. The Deer Hunter
47. The Maltese Falcon
48. Groundhog Day
49. Ed Wood
50. Little Miss Sunshine

Thank you to everyone who followed along with this list, it was really fun, and took a lot longer than I thought it would.
I will probably make a revised Top 50 in a year or so, and there are already movies that I would add and remove from this list.

Now here is my full list for anyone who wants to rate/compare it:

1. Fight Club
(in my top 10, excellent choice and totally agree with your summary!)
2. Reservoir Dogs
(in my top 10)
3. Pulp Fiction
(in my top 100)
4. Raging Bull

5. Citizen Kane
(in my top 100)
6. Fargo
(in my top 100)
7. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (haven't seen)
8. Casablanca
(in my top 100)
9. Dr Stangelove

10. North by Northwest (haven't seen)
11. Modern Times (haven't seen)
12. Singin' in the Rain (haven't seen)
13. The Shawshank Redemption

14. Whiplash
(in my top 100)
15. Memento

16. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

17. Shaun of the Dead
(been awhile since I saw it in full)
18. 12 Angry Men
(in my top 100)
19. The Usual Suspects
(in my top 100)
20. Taxi Driver
(in my top 100)
21. The Road Warrior

22. Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 1st one
2nd one

23. The Big Lebowski

24. Being John Malkovich

25. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (haven't seen)
26. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (haven't seen)
27. Jurassic Park

28. American Beauty

29. Donnie Darko
(in my top 100)
30. The Graduate

31. Back to the Future Part II (haven't seen)
32. Back to the Future (been too long since I've seen in full)
33. The Bridge on the River Kwai
(in my top 100)
34. In Bruges (haven't seen)
35. Pinocchio
(in my top 100)
36. Rear Window (been too long since I've seen)
37. Adaptation. (haven't seen)
38. The Day the Earth Stood Still (haven't seen)
39. Star Wars (episode 4 in my top 100) as a series:

40. Raiders of the Lost Ark

41. Toy Story

42. Léon: The Professional

43. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
(in my top 100)
44. Chinatown

45. The Departed
(in my top 100)
46. The Deer Hunter

47. The Maltese Falcon

48. Groundhog Day (haven't seen)
49. Ed Wood (only saw parts of)
50. Little Miss Sunshine (haven't seen)
Fantastic job on this. Well done!

The Written Truth
In no particular order!!

1. Julia's Eyes
2. Vanilla Sky
3. The Number 23
4. Requiem for a Dream
5. Upside Down
6. Eternal Sunshine on a Spotless Mind
7. The System Within
8. Secret Window
9. The Matrix
10. Blue is the Warmest Color

11. Fantasia
12. Shutter Island
13. The Wolf of Wall Street
14. The Social Network
15. Six Degrees of Separation
16. Sophie Choice
17. Doubt
18. American Psycho
19. Forrest Gump
20. Hitch

21. City of God
22. Untraceable
23. Brothers
24. Apocalypto
25. 300
26. Hotel Rwanda
27. The Sixth Sense
28. The Truman Show
29. The Help
30. Good Deed

31. Can't Think Straight
32. The Babysitters
33. Single White Female
34. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
35. Run Lola Run
36. The Stick Up Kids
37. Mad Max
38. Straight out of Compton
39. Taken
40. Need For Speed

41. Ghost Rider
42. Freedom Writers
43. San Adres
44. Children of Men
45. Source Code
46. Repo Man
47. Yes Man
48. Dare Devil
49. Identity
50. The Others

I first discover that you finished you list now!

Anyways, a great conclusion to an impressive Top 50. I love Reservoir Dogs though it went a tad down for me on the last rewatch. Still great. And Fight Club is one of the most tightly made movies ever made. I mean, the amount of detail put into the direction, visuals, editing, script, sets, everything... It gets better and better with every rewatch. Many cinephiles won't acknowledge this movie anymore and I don't know why. Still freaking awesome.

There was plenty of my own personal favorites on this list and I loved your writr-ups throughout. Some great hard work has been put into this, good job on finishing your list! I'll check in and rate later on