Nope's 50 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
Great picks so far. Ed Wood, Chinatown, and Leon are all (as of now) in my Top 100.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Love a good old countdown list. Ive been working on a new top 100 myself for the past couple of weeks. Ime of work at the moment for 2 weeks so ive got a really big list of movies to watch.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Raiders of the Lost Ark

I have no idea how anyone could dislike this movie, it is pure fun. Unlike many of the other films on my list that I appreciate for technical reasons, this I purely enjoy this movie because it is so much fun. This is probably the most fun movie experience of all time, and it's a great film.

Star Wars

Another movie that is pure fun, but fun that can also be respected on a technical and cultural level. There is really nothing to say about Star Wars that hasn't already been said. All of you have seen it, most of you love it, it's a classic. If it weren't for Star Wars, some of my favorite movies probably would have never been made.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

This is one of the movies on my top 50 that I watched more recently i.e a few days ago, and I absolutely loved every second of it. This film along with Forbidden Planet (a movie that almost made my list) made me very interested in 50s sci-fi, and it is probably one of the most interesting genres of film. This is without a doubt one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made.

Adaptation.

You might think a movie where Nicholas Cage plays himself and his twin brother would be an absolute disaster, but you'd be completely wrong. Possibly one of the best screenplays ever written, Charlie Kaufman gives us another masterpiece. I love all of his work, and this will not be his last film on this list.

Rear Window

The first Hitchcock film to make my list, Rear Window is one of those movies that holds up incredibly well after all of these years. The way that Hitchcock is able to build suspense is amazing, and as per usual, he creates an amazing film. I talk much more about the movie in my full review.

My Review

Pinocchio

Pinocchio was reintroduced to me during the Animated Musical HoF, and I loved it so much more than I did as a kid. It is one of the most beautifully animated movies I have ever seen, and it came out in 1940. I have talked to death about 2D vs 3D animation during pretty much all of my Animated Musical reviews, and I basically said that I think more films should revert back to 2D. You can read much more about that in my Pinocchio review, or any other reviews I wrote for that HoF. This is an amazing film, and probably the best of its kind.

My Review

In Bruges

In Bruges has probably one of the best screenplays in recent memory, and I love films with good screenplays. I normally see Colin Ferall as Colin Ferall, but he blended into his character perfectly, allowing him and Breandan Gleeson to have great chemistry together. The review I wrote on this film was actually one of my first ever posts on this forum, and I have come a long way from there. The review is pretty embarrassing and poorly written, but read it if you want.

My Review

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Another movie that holds up incredibly well, The Bridge on the River Kwai is headlined by great performances from both Alec Guiness and William Holden. The film tells one of the most interesting and intriguing stories ever put to film, and the ending is probably the greatest of all time. Defiantly a classic.

Back to the Future

Like other movies on my list, this is just so much fun. Every second of Back to the Future is exciting, fun, and entertaining. This movie used to be my favorite for a while before I got more interested into film. Even though it isn't still my #1, it still deserves a spot on this list.

Back to the Future Part II

Both of the Back to the Future movies are pretty equal in my book, but Part II barely squeezes out in front of the original. Most of the reason I enjoy Part II more is because it has everything the original does, and does it better. Especially during the end of the movie, there is so much tension. In my opinion, this one is the best of the two (let's all just forget about the 3rd one).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Two of the best adventure movies ever made, and Harrison Ford in the prime of his career. Great picks.

The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of my favorite classic sci-fi movies.

Rear Window isn't my favorite Hitchcock movie, but it's definitely up near the top of the list.

Back to the Future
Back to the Future Part II
I prefer the first Back to the Future movie over the sequel, but they're both great movies.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Pretty strong start Nope.

There's a lot of stuff I really like (Groundhog Day, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars etc) plus a few I absolutely love; Ed Wood, Toy Story and both Back to the Future films.

Master of My Domain
A lot of classics here. Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark seem liked cliched choices but who cares, they're both awesome. Bridge on the River Kwai and Back to the Future are both amazing too, for their own unique reasons.

The Graduate

Another movie with a great ending, and a great screenplay to make my list. The Graduate is one of those movies that I can watch over and over again and never get sick of it. Great performances from the entire cast, especially from Dustin Hoffman, and I believe this is his best performance to date.

Donnie Darko

This is one of those movies that I had to watch multiple times to fully understand and appreciate. What I love most about this film is that it never holds your hand and explains the plot for you, it makes you think about it, and figure it out on your own. One of the trippiest and most confusing movies I have ever seen, and that's why I love it.

American Beauty

This was probably one of the best movie watching experiences I've ever had in my entire life. By the end of the film I was so devoted to each character that I was on the edge of my seat. Every single person in this film is flawed and unique in their own way, and none of them follow stereotypical storylines. I love Kevin Spacey, and I think this is one of his best films. Great screenplay, great performances, and a great movie.

Some fantastic picks! Star Wars, Pinocchio, The Bridge on the River Kwai and Donnie Darko were also in my favorites list. A fan of pretty much all of them though!