66.67%
14 votes
YES
33.33%
7 votes
NO
21 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Do you know any movies like this?
I think it’s pretty idiosyncratic (this coming from someone who hates the rest of Gallo’s output), but I would say I get a somewhat similar vibe from:

Piercing (2018) - the closest match I can think of at the moment
Forgetting the Girl (2012) - close second
Killer Joe (2012)
Hotel Splendide (2000)
Spider Baby (1967)
Jojo Rabbit (2019) - I guess?
Force Majeure (2014)
Heavenly Creatures (1994)
Eve’s Bayou (1997) - can’t explain why I think it’s similar, but I think so
Beautiful Kate (2009)

Organised more or less by extent of similarity.

Out of these, only Piercing and Spider Baby might be seen as equally unique, but still worth checking out the rest I’d say.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I think it’s pretty idiosyncratic (this coming from someone who hates the rest of Gallo’s output), but I would say I get a somewhat similar vibe from:

Piercing (2018) - the closest match I can think of at the moment
Forgetting the Girl (2012) - close second
Killer Joe (2012)
Hotel Splendide (2000)
Spider Baby (1967)
Jojo Rabbit (2019) - I guess?
Force Majeure (2014)
Heavenly Creatures (1994)
Eve’s Bayou (1997) - can’t explain why I think it’s similar, but I think so
Beautiful Kate (2009)

Organised more or less by extent of similarity.

Out of these, only Piercing and Spider Baby might be seen as equally unique, but still worth checking out the rest I’d say.

The only other movie he released was "The Brown Bunny", right? I didn't like it at all.

I'll check out those titles. Thanks!

The only other movie he released was "The Brown Bunny", right? I didn't like it at all.

I'll check out those titles. Thanks!
Let me know what you think.

He’s got two more, Promises Written in Water and April. But yeah, The Brown Bunny is the most (in)famous one (Robert Ebert being the reason I guess) and I hate it as well. But he’s also got a huge amount of shorts, which are a body of work in themselves. Anyway, I’ve always felt Buffalo ‘66 was a welcome and fortunate aberration.

Let me know what you think.

He’s got two more, Promises Written in Water and April. But yeah, The Brown Bunny is the most (in)famous one (Robert Ebert being the reason I guess) and I hate it as well. But he’s also got a huge amount of shorts, which are a body of work in themselves. Anyway, I’ve always felt Buffalo ‘66 was a welcome and fortunate aberration.

He said he would only release those at film festivals. I've never heard of his shorts, but I'll try to find them.

I LOVE his interviews.. I guess I also love anyone who'll tell The Establishment to f off.

He said he would only release those at film festivals. I've never heard of his shorts, but I'll try to find them.

I LOVE his interviews.. I guess I also love anyone who'll tell The Establishment to f off.

Yeah, he’s a character. Though as someone who has a phobia of cancer of sorts, I don’t find the Ebert thing remotely appropriate. I actually think that was incredibly creepy, one of those cinematic touches that do bleed into real life.

Anyway, as per this article - https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...-written-water - he sure makes it difficult to track his work down, but it’s definitely feasible, torrents and whatnot. The aforementioned stuff has been shown somewhere, so must exist on the web.

I just need to remind myself not to start hunting it out now.

Yeah, he’s a character. Though as someone who has a phobia of cancer of sorts, I don’t find the Ebert thing remotely appropriate. I actually think that was incredibly creepy, one of those cinematic touches that do bleed into real life.

Anyway, as per this article - https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...-written-water - he sure makes it difficult to track his work down, but it’s definitely feasible, torrents and whatnot. The aforementioned stuff has been shown somewhere, so must exist on the web.

I just need to remind myself not to start hunting it out now.

I know all about torrents, etc... He's the only director in my lifetime who was an anomaly. There were a few like Kaurismaki (retired), Ken Loach (retired, but not the most diverse director), Mike Leigh. At the time I got into movies (late 90s), Kubrick had just died.

Let me save your time. No one will ever find it. I've used video extractors, and even on YouTube, I know how to get around onlyfans or being a member. Just watch a few seconds of a live show, and then click on "History", and you can watch it from the beginning.

As for Gallo, he showed it at Cannes, and for some strange reason, doesn't want anyone seeing his movies -- except for the people he criticizes.

But in case you're ever looking for something difficult, I've found a lot of things using different browsers, but even if you use Google, enter

"Vincent Gallo -youtube" and then click VIDEOS, so you get all the results NOT on YouTube.

I know all about torrents, etc... He's the only director in my lifetime who was an anomaly. There were a few like Kaurismaki (retired), Ken Loach (retired, but not the most diverse director), Mike Leigh. At the time I got into movies (late 90s), Kubrick had just died.

Let me save your time. No one will ever find it. I've used video extractors, and even on YouTube, I know how to get around onlyfans or being a member. Just watch a few seconds of a live show, and then click on "History", and you can watch it from the beginning.

As for Gallo, he showed it at Cannes, and for some strange reason, doesn't want anyone seeing his movies -- except for the people he criticizes.

But in case you're ever looking for something difficult, I've found a lot of things using different browsers, but even if you use Google, enter

"Vincent Gallo -youtube" and then click VIDEOS, so you get all the results NOT on YouTube.
Thank you - this is fun. I use Tor as well when need be. Perks of job. I may be overly optimistic, but I do think they’ll be found sooner or later. And for once I agree with The Guardian (never thought I’d say that) in that it’s a kind of hubris on his part.

Thank you - this is fun. I use Tor as well when need be. Perks of job. I may be overly optimistic, but I do think they’ll be found sooner or later. And for once I agree with The Guardian (never thought I’d say that) in that it’s a kind of hubris on his part.

Have you ever seen his website? It's beyond ego, and it seems he's upfront (unlike others) about a love for money, so maybe if someone offers him a great financial deal, it's possible. But he also seems very stubborn, too. He said in an interview how "The Brown Bunny" ruined his life, and how he wishes it was never released. I wonder what his thinking was. "Buffalo '66" had a hell of a cast, and I'm surprised it's not more popular than it is. I'm curious how he got Ben Gazzarra, Christina Ricci, Mickey Rourke, Rosanne Arquette, Jan (he just passed away), and a few others. I don't even know if it made money. But some will then make their 2nd movie self-indulgent, hoping he acquires enough fans so many would see it, and it seems like they did, but for all the wrong reasons (un-simulated oral sex). I think politics is a big reason, because he was the only one back then who liked George W. Bush, and actually said he came on Stern for that reason. I think W. is the worst, but I like people who go against the grain, as long as they do it in a fascinating way.

If "Promises..." and "April" were a bigger productions, it's possible one (out of many) could leak it online, and then so many have it that there's no way to erase it. I know Sage Stallone is in "Promises..." and maybe Sly buys the distribution rights (I have no idea how that all works) but I've searched many times.. I've found some interviews (compilations) that are not on YouTube, and so I try to make sure I have them on multiple hard drives because I've lost information many times.. Just a week ago, I lost 28 journals to mold/water damage when I was in Europe, Australia, Asia... even a journal I kept when I was 15.

Have you ever seen his website? It's beyond ego, and it seems he's upfront (unlike others) about a love for money, so maybe if someone offers him a great financial deal, it's possible. But he also seems very stubborn, too. He said in an interview how "The Brown Bunny" ruined his life, and how he wishes it was never released. I wonder what his thinking was. "Buffalo '66" had a hell of a cast, and I'm surprised it's not more popular than it is. I'm curious how he got Ben Gazzarra, Christina Ricci, Mickey Rourke, Rosanne Arquette, Jan (he just passed away), and a few others. I don't even know if it made money. But some will then make their 2nd movie self-indulgent, hoping he acquires enough fans so many would see it, and it seems like they did, but for all the wrong reasons (un-simulated oral sex). I think politics is a big reason, because he was the only one back then who liked George W. Bush, and actually said he came on Stern for that reason. I think W. is the worst, but I like people who go against the grain, as long as they do it in a fascinating way.

If "Promises..." and "April" were a bigger productions, it's possible one (out of many) could leak it online, and then so many have it that there's no way to erase it. I know Sage Stallone is in "Promises..." and maybe Sly buys the distribution rights (I have no idea how that all works) but I've searched many times.. I've found some interviews (compilations) that are not on YouTube, and so I try to make sure I have them on multiple hard drives because I've lost information many times.. Just a week ago, I lost 28 journals to mold/water damage when I was in Europe, Australia, Asia... even a journal I kept when I was 15.
I’m a paper person with Italian leather journals going back decades, so I empathise. That’s very annoying. Did something get flooded? And yes, multiple hard drives is wise, I’d say cloud storage is a must too.

Haven’t seen his website. Will check out.

How do you mean an anomaly? In what way?

I like Buffalo 66 but not so much the Brown Bunny.

Betty Blue is a film with similar themes. And of course Godard's Breathless.

I’m a paper person with Italian leather journals going back decades, so I empathise. That’s very annoying. Did something get flooded? And yes, multiple hard drives is wise, I’d say cloud storage is a must too.

Haven’t seen his website. Will check out.

Yes, my car unfortunately. I put a few of them on the front, hoping the sun will help a couple, just to save a few paragraphs perhaps.

How do you mean an anomaly? In what way?

I like Buffalo 66 but not so much the Brown Bunny.

Betty Blue is a film with similar themes. And of course Godard's Breathless.

His talent and personality for that time.

Yes, my car unfortunately. I put a few of them on the front, hoping the sun will help a couple, just to save a few paragraphs perhaps.

His talent and personality for that time.
Well I certainly don't think he is at the top of the talent list for the late 90s into 2000s. But he sure has a distinctive personality.

Half of it, i couldnt watch the family dynamic triggering i guess idk. Christina ricci in that movie though Whoa

Half of it, i couldnt watch the family dynamic triggering i guess idk.
Was it the knife?

Half of it, i couldnt watch the family dynamic triggering i guess idk. Christina ritchie in that movie though Whoa
He based them on his own parents. The man singing on record (who Ben lip-syncs to) is actually Vincent Gallo Sr.

There's a great hour-long Howard Stern interview that goes deeper about that, but that's just a recommendation for all others reading - I doubt you'd enjoy it if you could only watch half the movie.

Ricci actually improvised that tap-dance. "Moonchild" is a great song. Gallo also likes 70's prog-rock and is actually Godfather to Chris Squire's son.