A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I'll watch something of your chosen (assuming it's easily available on streaming)
Oh man. Let's crack them knuckles.

Oh man. Let's crack them knuckles.
My only real qualifications will be that it’s easily available and has a comparable run time.

Oh, I was just looking because, while being vaguely aware of Hooptober over the years, I've never participated, and that got me wondering what I'd do for the '81 requirement if I were to do it.

Possession was an '81 movie. If you haven't seen that and can find it playing, I'd recommend it.

Otherwise, from my exchange with Rock and Crumbs, it sounds like Don't Go Into the Woods is the movie I think it is, and while I don't remember much of it, I do remember it was a lot of fun (and laughter) with the crowd I watched it with. So I'd suggest leaving it in.
You may get your wish. Madman appears to be 1982 or 1983, depending on who you ask.

Possession isn't currently streaming anywhere, but based on the synopsis, it does sound interesting at least.

Today's Sunday Afternoon Horror Movie Club viewing was God Told Me To, a film I've only seen once before. Viewing confirms that this is a film that I really enjoy.

Also, oddly, when I rewatch films they always seem to be longer than I remember, but this one was an exception---it seemed to fly by. A moment I remembered happening really far into the film actually happened around 45 minutes in or so.

I had slightly forgotten just how much I appreciated the character arc centered on the main character's religious belief. This was especially true of a line of dialogue that this time around really popped out to me. (MINOR SPOILERS, SORT OF!) "All my life I've felt close to God, but it turns out it wasn't Him at all." Oof, shivers. So good.

I also continued to dig the way that the
WARNING: spoilers below
abduction sequences were shot
, and that part where he goes to interview the woman in the old-folks' home is still just so good. Sylvia Sidney just absolutely knocks it out of the park in that scene in what feels like the most important turning point of the film.

Finally saw the only Nightmare flick before finishing the series: Freddy's New Nightmare. It was serious, inventive, saved Freddy and overcame it's cartoon-style premise. Loved it.

Today's Sunday Afternoon Horror Movie Club viewing was God Told Me To, a film I've only seen once before. Viewing confirms that this is a film that I really enjoy.

Also, oddly, when I rewatch films they always seem to be longer than I remember, but this one was an exception---it seemed to fly by. A moment I remembered happening really far into the film actually happened around 45 minutes in or so.

I had slightly forgotten just how much I appreciated the character arc centered on the main character's religious belief. This was especially true of a line of dialogue that this time around really popped out to me. (MINOR SPOILERS, SORT OF!) "All my life I've felt close to God, but it turns out it wasn't Him at all." Oof, shivers. So good.

I also continued to dig the way that the
abduction sequences were shot
, and that part where he goes to interview the woman in the old-folks' home is still just so good. Sylvia Sidney just absolutely knocks it out of the park in that scene in what feels like the most important turning point of the film.
Yeah, it's one of the best science fiction and
alien
films I've seen. I'm a huge fan of it.

Larry Cohen made some great movies, but God Told Me To is a legitimately remarkable thing. It's otherworldy, frightening, original and inspirational (when it comes to reinforcing the notion that you do not need to be a part of the establishment to make important work)

It is the best Larry Cohen film. Bone is pretty close behind.

Venturing into Jesus Franco has put me in a horror mood. So I'm gonna go through more of his movies. I've watched The Hills Have Eyes Parts 1 and 2, Chiller, Night Visions and Wes Craven's New Nightmare. Gonna check out The People Under the Stairs, Cursed, and Scream 3 today.

I have no access to it. It seems like Netflix in Canada has the good taste to keep such bland Wan-ness out of its mouth.

Just kidding. Canadian Netflix ****ing sucks balldicks.
If you have it right now, can you tell me if they restocked the original Goosebumps series? That's the one good thing I had left to watch there, and they removed it.

Had to break from The People Under the Stairs for unexpected extra work around the house. Popping in to say that I'm enjoying that noticeable but controlled Craven-style camp, and its seriousness with plotting. It's stylistic but serious stories like this that make Craven my favorite horror director.

Larry Cohen made some great movies, but God Told Me To is a legitimately remarkable thing. It's otherworldy, frightening, original and inspirational (when it comes to reinforcing the notion that you do not need to be a part of the establishment to make important work)
Afterwards I just had to appreciate, like, . . . how did someone think of that idea? And more specifically that sequence of ideas?

Just truly as you say an original and otherworldly film.

Started brainstorming an October watchlist. Tried to stick to existing blind buys sitting on my shelf, things that have a North American blu ray (couldn't find the Sammo flick you suggested, Ash ), or were on YouTube or Tubi. Very good chance I won't get to some of these and will end up watching other things instead, but figured I'd try to actually plan it this year. (And yes, the last two are extremely on brand. Judge not that ye not be judged.) Also been chewing over getting that Severin folk horror set, will see if financial prudence wins in the end.

The Deadly Spawn
The Strangeness
Baby Blood
Axe aka Lisa Lisa
Spookies
The Stuff
The Survivor
Suddenly in the Dark
Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death
We're Going to Eat You
The Queen of Black Magic
The Night Evelyn Came Home From the Grave
Alice Sweet Alice
The Changeling
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
I Drink Your Blood
The Imp
Driller
Dracula Sucks

Suggesting are welcome!

Started brainstorming an October watchlist. Tried to stick to existing blind buys sitting on my shelf, things that have a North American blu ray (couldn't find the Sammo flick you suggested, Ash ), or were on YouTube or Tubi. Very good chance I won't get to some of these and will end up watching other things instead, but figured I'd try to actually plan it this year. (And yes, the last two are extremely on brand. Judge not that ye not be judged.) Also been chewing over getting that Severin folk horror set, will see if financial prudence wins in the end.

The Deadly Spawn
The Strangeness
Baby Blood
Axe aka Lisa Lisa
Spookies
The Stuff
The Survivor
Suddenly in the Dark
Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death
We're Going to Eat You
The Queen of Black Magic
The Night Evelyn Came Home From the Grave