What are the most cynical/depressing movies ever?

Tools    

A Clockwork Orange
American History X
I Saw the Devil
I must be a cynical and depressing person tho

American History X is horrible in this sense. You have maybe 10 minutes max combining the Derek and "sympathetic black man" scenes and the his bro realizes these guys are awful racists, moments. The rest seems like a montage of "badass" moments with no point, the meal scene with Elliot Gould is particularly unnerving, there is nothing to actually get there. Just seems like an awkward build up to the he's not racist anymore moment.

American History X is horrible in this sense. You have maybe 10 minutes max combining the Derek and "sympathetic black man" scenes and the his bro realizes these guys are awful racists, moments. The rest seems like a montage of "badass" moments with no point, the meal scene with Elliot Gould is particularly unnerving, there is nothing to actually get there. Just seems like an awkward build up to the he's not racist anymore moment.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
What Dreams May Come might be the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

That or Battlefield Earth. Those poor actors. So horrible.

I think The Road is as down as it gets. After nuclear war, there is nothing left and well, there isn't going to be any reason for man to keep going on for the most part. It's hard to feel hopeful when the ashen sky, barren lands and cannibalistic goons are all you ever see. This one is well worth watching but I can't say I'd watch it very often. I'd probably crawl into a cave and hope for death.

W
That or Battlefield Earth. Those poor actors. So horrible.
I've been curious about that one, but never bothered to see it yet - I know it was about Scientology

What Dreams May Come is one of the most depressing movies ever made. Now that Robin has passed, it's even sadder.
I can't even watch Mrs. Doubtfire anymore.

The treatment of suicide in WDMC was sort of offensive.
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

Pranks.
Scum.
Quadrophenia.
The War Zone.
Citizen X.
Spider.
Naked.
Sweet Sixteen.
Brubaker.
American History X.
Nil By Mouth.
Irreversible.
Baise Moi.

The Plague Dogs

The Plague Dogs is a wonderful corrective for kids who know that movies are lying to them.

I remember feeling almost invigorated by finally having an animated film level with me. That knew I could take feeling bad about the world I was growing up into. Maybe even required it.

Yes, depressing, but only in the most positive of ways

Beneath the Planet of the Apes,
WARNING: spoilers below
not only because the entire Earth gets destroyed, of course, but also because the movie makes you think we deserve that to happen.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The Road is the first film that sprung to mind when I saw this thread. I Saw the Devil is pretty consistently bad feels all around (but an amazing film).

No film is 'depressing'. Art isn't depressing. It won't lull you into an illness that you need to seek medical intervention to assist with. There are plenty of other things in the world for that.

There are however films that tackle very bleak subjects:

The Seventh Continent
The War Zone
Submarino