Remakes better than the original?

Tools    

besides the obvious The thing and the glorious The fly

I may be in the minority-

maybe not...although i actually love Wes Craven's film, i love this one more. it creeped me alot more

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) is a remake of The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) and is better

besides the obvious The thing and the glorious The fly
I haven't seen the original version of The Fly, but the remake was excellent. The Thing is a massive improvement on The Thing From Another World.

I think the American remake of The Ring was much better than the Japanese original. A case of where actually showing something is more frightening.

The Thing (1982) isn't a remake.

How.
Many.
Times?

"The Thing (also known as John Carpenter's The Thing) is a 1982 American science fiction horror film directed by John Carpenter, written by Bill Lancaster, and starring Kurt Russell. The film's title refers to its primary antagonist: a parasitic extraterrestrial lifeform that assimilates other organisms and in turn imitates them. The Thing infiltrates an Antarctic research station, taking the appearance of the researchers that it absorbs, and paranoia develops within the group

The film is based on John W. Campbell, Jr.'s novella Who Goes There?, which was more loosely adapted by Howard Hawks and Christian Nyby as the 1951 film The Thing from Another World."

If Carpenter's movie is "a remake of the 1951 movie"... then I'm afraid Nolan's Batfilms are remakes of Burton's/Schumacher's films... Man Of Steel is a remake of Superman The Movie... and Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy is a remake of the 1978 cartoon.

Jeez, I can think of a lot of adaptions, but pure movie to movie remakes is tough. Although...

The Dark Knight (2008) > Batman (1989)

Umm... Of COURSE. Jack Nicholson as Joker is good, but not Heath Ledger good and to be fair Heath Ledger had much better lines and a movie which supported them.

We can all laugh and imitate Christian Bale's bat voice, but it was way less jarring than Michael Keaton's HILARIOUS inability to react without turning his neck.

The Producers (2005) > The Producers (1967)

Most probably won't agree, but The Producers is easily one of the most memorable musicals I've seen. Regardless of what you may think of them individually Nathan Lane is a great playboy, Mathew Broderick is a great stuffy accountant, and Will Ferrel is a great neo-nazi nutjob.

I feel like 2005's The Producers is pretty much everything that was great about the 1967 original, except now it's a catchy musical too.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Departed
The Maltese Falcon
A Fistful of Dollars
Ocean's Eleven
Airplane!
The Ten Commandments

The Thing (1982) isn't a remake.
I seem to remember that John Carpenter liked The Thing From Another World so perhaps that's why he used The Thing as the title. Since they're both based on the short story there's a link between them that's undeniable even if the storylines are so different.

I must watch the recent prequel version of The Thing again, too. I really liked that and it didn't annoy me that there were American characters. I thought it would seem forced but that didn't happen.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that one...

They were pretty different... but also pretty the same...

I think I preferred the newer one too.
I would be flabbergasted if the remake was better than the original. I'd like to see it – I've got to see Rooney Mara in something eventually! (it'll probably be Carol) The only thing that put me off was Daniel Craig, purely because in a clip where Blomkvist goes to see Salander he says something like "Get rid of your girlfriend" which makes him look like a real prat. I haven't read the books but I got the impression from the Swedish films (especially from Michael Nyqvist's really engaging performance) that Blomkvist was a bit more empathetic and thoughtful in conducting himself (hence why Salander responds to him).

I would be flabbergasted if the remake was better than the original. I'd like to see it – I've got to see Rooney Mara in something eventually! (it'll probably be Carol) The only thing that put me off was Daniel Craig, purely because in a clip where Blomkvist goes to see Salander he says something like "Get rid of your girlfriend" which makes him look like a real prat. I haven't read the books but I got the impression from the Swedish films (especially from Michael Nyqvist's really engaging performance) that Blomkvist was a bit more empathetic and thoughtful in conducting himself (hence why Salander responds to him).
Actually, I was listening to the audiobook for the The Girl Who Played With Fire recently, and you're right, I don't think Daniel Craig was a good casting choice. Blomkvist is supposed to be the nice guy everyone in his office turns to to resolve a problem and I don't get that from James Bond (though I'm sure he'd rather lose that image quick).

My personal recollection of the movies is vague, but I recall one putting a LOT of emphasis of Salander's sexual abuse, which kinda got to me.

Honestly, both the first and second books kinda irked me with how they seem to waste time showing us each character's personal sexual conquests which never really seemed to factor into the plot. Evidently Salander's sexual abuse in the first book is the catalyst of events in the second book, but as standalone stories, they seem really out of place.

Actually, I was listening to the audiobook for the The Girl Who Played With Fire recently, and you're right, I don't think Daniel Craig was a good casting choice. Blomkvist is supposed to be the nice guy everyone in his office turns to to resolve a problem and I don't get that from James Bond (though I'm sure he'd rather lose that image quick).
Yeah, I felt like it was his empathy that made Salander respond to him. I can't imagine that happening with Craig's version of Blomkvist – and yet Craig has played empathetic characters in his time.

My personal recollection of the movies is vague, but I recall one putting a LOT of emphasis of Salander's sexual abuse, which kinda got to me.

Honestly, both the first and second books kinda irked me with how they seem to waste time showing us each character's personal sexual conquests which never really seemed to factor into the plot. Evidently Salander's sexual abuse in the first book is the catalyst of events in the second book, but as standalone stories, they seem really out of place.
My recollection is that they showed the abuse she suffered, i.e. not just the sexual abuse (although that was probably the most graphic).

Judge Dredd (1995) vs Dredd (2012)
I love Dredd. It was one of the best film experiences I've had for ages. Judge Dredd's probably much more entertaining for people who know nothing about the comic strip – and if like me you could look at Diane Lane all day.

Lol!
Dredd is also not a remake.

And if it was, it certainly wouldn't be a remake of Stallone's movie.