The Devils Double

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
One of my favourite Ivan Reitman movies is the Whimsical Dave starring Kevin Kline.

The scene where Charles Grodin is brought in to slice the budget to allow for a social program to be saved, makes me smile everytime.

I have a feeling, I may not smile once for this new film from Lionsgatem yet am compelled to watch it.

I love super hero comic book summer popcorn movies as much as the next guy, but i need my grounded in reality fix just as often.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270262/

Plot:
A chilling vision of the House of Saddam Hussein comes to life through the eyes of the man who was forced to become the double of Hussein's sadistic son

Release Date: 29 July 2011
Genre: Action | Biography | Drama
Cast: Dominic Cooper, Ludivine Sagnier, Raad Rawi
Directors: Lee Tamahori
Writer: Michael Thomas, Latif Yahia
Studio: Lionsgate

&feature=player_embedded

I've gotta see this now. This review sold me.

Jonathan Kim got my attention a few years ago, as he was one of a handful of reviewers that adressed Documentaries, usually the only time they get attention is if they have Michael Moore attached(sigh).

I don't really like Dominic Cooper, but I may catch this on DVD at some point.

I'd never heard of the guy before, but from the review anyway sounds like he knocked it outta the park.

I can't think of anything you may've seen that he's been in, but he's about to have a big year or two. Captain America, The Devil's Double, My Week With Marilyn and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter may well decide whether he becomes a star or not. I don't think anyone doubts his acting chops.

Well in that case, I'm not concerned. I don't care too much generally speaking for the "stars". Shia Laboeuf i'm talkin to you.

Ashdoc's review---

Many dictators ( like Stalin , for example ) had doubles , and so did Saddam Hussein.

And so did his devilish son Uday.....

A double means somebody who looks like the original , and has to pretend to be the original , in places where the original does not want to go--like a place where there is danger of him getting assassinated , for example .

The movie is based on the true story of Uday's double , Latif .

He is forced--on pain of death--to impersonate Saddam's brutish son in public meetings , for mingling among the soldiers of Saddam's ragtag army , and even at his home.....

......And from that position , he is able to closely observe the lifestyle of the powerdrunk Uday--the heir apparent to Saddam's republic of fear .

....And its an insane lifestyle.....

--Uday goes to wild parties where everyone has to strip naked in order to please his majesty--

--He shoots dead anybody who displeases him for the slightest reason--

--regularly snorts drugs--

--tortures anyone who has crossed him , and then forces his double to watch the films he has recorded of the unspeakable tortures he invents--

--picks any schoolgirl from the street at gunpoint , and rapes her and dumps her dead body in the middle of nowhere--

--goes to any wedding , picks the bride and rapes her.....

......And has to be constant surrounded by pretty whores in his house....

If the ultrabrutal Saddam himself says that he should have killed Uday the moment he was born , what can be the mental condition of his double who has to stay with Uday constantly ??

He himself gets to enjoy with the pretty women whom Uday allows him to enjoy ,and gets to live the lavish life in Uday's house , and yet he yearns to escape from this living hell.....

But how can he ?? His family , which is under constant surveillance by Uday's bodyguards , will be put to death if he escapes......

His own life is in danger as people plotting to kill Uday are constantly targetting him due to his resemblance.....

Of course , its a resemblance made more perfect by plastic surgery , and Uday once says that his double's dick must also be resized to resemble his own......only to sooth his terrified double's nerves by explaining that he was only joking.....

Before he goes completely mad , the double escapes , urged by his father who is ready to die to let his son go free--but he returns to give the devil Uday his due , and take revenge for his father's murder.

Its a film made more watchable by Dominic Cooper , the actor who has put up a commendable performance as both Uday and his double--has entered into the skin of his role , as they say .

Verdict--decent enough .

I have to disagree with both of you. I thought this was a perfect film.

It is a hard, nasty and almost snuff like film to watch but if you want to see a raw film that looks into the running of the Hussain household and how Saddam did what he did for the people of Iraq you don't need to look too much further.

As much as Uday was a sick perverted psychopath something about him made me smile, when he was laughing and joking it was almost in a dark way a very good sense of humour.

Another thing about the film was the aftermath for me. I cannot find the actual quote and I am watching something else but effectively Munem turns to Latif and says:

"Saddam has given his people of Iraq road, schools, hospitals - and the only thing he asks is that you do not lay a hand on his family"

Now this may be controversial and please do not misunderstand me, I am not an apologist for Saddam but I wanted to learn more about his man. All I knew from western news was that he murdered his own people. But what did he also do for his country? Did he do some good? Was he really as bad as we were told?

Another point is of Uday, I don't think he was entirely bad, I just think he was as many children can be, the product of a bad environment. He could have anything he wanted, literally anything and so he would push the boundaries as much as he could to see what would happen. Again I am not supporting Uday or Saddam but I also don't believe that everything is as black and white as we are led to believe and this film gives people an insight into what it may be like.