What's a good streaming service for the kinds of movies I like?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
When it comes to streaming services, like Netflix, Prime, etc, they never have what I want whenever I feel like a certain movie and do a search.

For example, five movies I want to watch now, are The Silence of the Lambs (1991), Set It Off(1996), Parasite(2019), The Skin I Live In(2011), Bowfinger(1999) and 12 Angry Men(1957), to start.

Are there any streaming services where if you were to look in their catalogue right now, at least 3 of those movies would be on there, and therefore be worth the price?

Well some of the streaming services, don't have search bars in if you are not signed up so it's hard to search out the movies in their catalogs therefor it seemed. I was just wondering if anyone knows which one is the best for those selections, off the top of their heads more so, if anyone knows.

There aren't many streaming services with types of films. There's a couple of niche ones, like Shudder for horror, but most are general interest, or specifically for certain types of classics/rarities, I think. The films you're talking about, I think, are broad enough that there's probably not a streaming service that caters to your taste specifically.

I think to see everything you want, you have to resign yourself to something like Netflix and either Hulu or HBO, and then buying or renting (usually for like $3 for anything not released in the last year or two) specific things a few times a month to round things out.

I use www.justwatch.com to figure out what's streaming and where, too. Very useful.

Oh okay. Are their any that cater to the crime thriller genre, like Silence of the Lambs, Set It Off, or Parasite, which is kind of a crime thriller?

Yeah okay. Oh to answer the torrent files, well it's just that the are illegal right, so I guess that never sat well with me.

Yep that's true, I did see that one on there for one .

Not quite what you're looking for, but I find https://trakt.tv to be pretty useful in discovering new things to watch and where. You can't filter by genre unless you pay for it, but if you enter a movie you like you'll get some pretty decent recommendations. There are also user lists which can be pretty helpful as well.

EDIT: I should clarify, they specifically list any streaming site where the movie is currently available. For example, I just entered Silence of the Lambs and it lists Amazon, Vudu and 9 other services. Come to think of it, so does google. I guess technically you can ignore my entire post. I'll leave it here anyway.

You can probably pick Silence of The Lambs up very cheaply at Cex (they have an online website).

Okay thanks, I will check out these links. Thanks!

If you are into old or semi-old classics, MUBI might help. No matter how hard you try, the mainstream streaming services will never satisfy a person's thirst if the taste is varied. Most of the platforms cater to the general masses for whom B&W movies are a crime, subtitles are a sin!!

Off late I used TUBI for a while. It's free and does have a quirky library to enjoy. Since it's free, it's always recommended! There is another one called Filmrise, for FireTV and Android. You can check that out. It's free too. It contains a lot of B/C/D grade stuff that might kill an afternoon. But their servers are slowwwww!

Amazon is US does have some cool off the beaten path stuff to see. So j quite like it. But it's hard to find. You might have to watch one and let the algorithm help you. Otherwise it's almost impossible to trace. If you can use VPN, you can region unlock. That is quite helpful. Netflix is trash, most of the movies are like below 5 on IMDB. They go for quantity rather than quality. Coz I guess their rights would cost almost nothing. Whereas Silence of the Lambs would cost a bomb. I disconnected Netflix long time ago. Not worth it for me.

It's either you go underground with VPN (covers all bases) or pay something like $250 or more per month subscribing to all services, and even then you might want to watch something and not find it.

Oh okay well I like dark crime thrillers usually, all the way from movies like The Silence of the Lambs, The Skin I Live In, Set It Off, all the way to movies like Parasite.

So dark crime thrillers like those are what I am in the mood for the most, if I have to pick one; if any streaming services would cater to movies like those?

I'm not the biggest fan of movies before the 60s because of the Hays code preventing them from going as dark as they could usually, but there are some gems in there as well. But most of the ones I would want to see, would be post-Hays code.

I may be saying something very stupid, but I think websites like Putlocker have pretty much all films, and they’re not really illegal, are they? The quality is nowhere near what Netflix offers, but you can find anything there.

According US law I don't think they are. From what I know, storing is illegal. Streaming is not. But these laws are very difficult to understand anyway for a layman. But I think in Europe that is illegal too. They changed the law 2-3 years ago. VPN... FTW!!!

According US law I don't think they are. From what I know, storing is illegal. Streaming is not. But these laws are very difficult to understand anyway for a layman. But I think in Europe that is illegal too. They changed the law 2-3 years ago. VPN... FTW!!!
Thanks for clarifying! I had no idea. But well, here’s one option, depending where you are.

Don't quote me on that. That is my understanding of the law. I might be wrong!