2019 - A Theme for Every Month

Tools    

Mo Gong
[Battle Of Wits aka Battle Of The Warriors]

Chi Leung 'Jacob' Cheung

Period Chinese war drama that doesn't have the greatest production values and is a very mixed affair but oddly remains relatively engaging and even entertaining to a point.

The acting by the principals is generally acceptable and the tale (based on a Japanese manga) although somewhat routine has enough to it to maintain interest. Sadly the presentation does let it down though with some quite poorly managed action scenes (including very obvious CGI in places) and a flow that feels a little disjointed at times.

Tonally proceedings are rather varied, the attempts to incorporate a little depth and meaning don't really work that well set alongside the odd completely ridiculous moment and snippets of light-hearted humour (some seemingly intentional, some perhaps not) dotted throughout, whilst the love interest adds little to proceedings leaving it feeling no more than a plot device. It's a film that feels undecided as to whether it wants to be taken seriously or not which is a shame as imo it certainly had the potential to be a decent 'David vs. Goliath' offering.

Battle Of Wits has enough problems to stop it being anything more than mediocre fare and isn't poor enough to get a ratings bump by qualifying as 'so bad it's good' but it does entertain at times and for that I can live with it scraping a
+

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Comparing Black Hawk Down and Apocalypse Now in categoty War Movie... there is no comparishion.
The second one is involving, bitter-sweet, has got a message. My kind of movie

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

I think I can count thismovie here as there is quite significant war plot.
I haven't read a book, as don't like Wharton novels too much, but the movie is pretty good. And even (young) Nicolas Cage performance was impressive.

Humblest apologies Ms. M, I missed these contributions of yours because I was laid up at the time. I quite enjoy Black Hawk Down myself but yeah, that and Apocalypse Now are completely different fish. Don't believe I've ever seen Birdy but certainly counts for the theme this month. Please accept a belated big, wet, sloppy hand-hug for joining in again this month

Pohwasogeuro
[71: Into The Fire]

John H. Lee

Korean war drama based on the real confrontation between a rag taggle group of predominantly inexperienced Southern student soldiers defending a school in a strategic location against a Northern invasionary force.

This is a somewhat mixed affair which really doesn't do itself any favours by throwing the viewer straight into an opening action sequence that may successfully impart a sense of turmoil during a hectic confrontation but sadly is neither staged particularly well, with some mediocre CGI, nor that pleasant a watch. Thankfully proceedings do settle down after this introduction to the central character and subsequent action scenes are generally better managed.

Dealing with a group of 71 student soldiers it's not surprising that most remain nameless and focus is given to just the primary players but the dynamics within that select few is largely clichéd and predictable. Perhaps these are true representations of those that took part in reality but even if so it does feel rather contrived on screen - a criticism that also applies to the caricature presented as the leader of the North Korean force and the dynamic between that man and the students.

Unfortunately both these feelings of contrivance and the sheer amount of running time devoted to a generally underwhelming lead-up to the inevitable confrontation between the two forces do leave that section of proceedings feeling something of a disappointment. The main confrontation, though relatively brief, is for the most part a far more engaging watch, even if the closing stages do go completely over the top and feel rather ridiculous.

71: Into The Fire does eventually evolve into the movie one hopes for but takes far too long to get there imo and whilst entertaining in places it's too hit and miss for me to earn more than a
+

The Leopard, Il Gattopardo
dir. Luchino Visconti

'Don Fabrizio Corbera, Prince of Salina a noble aristocrat of impeccable integrity, enjoys the customary comforts and privileges of an ancient and noble name.
War has broken out between the King's army and the insurgent volunteer redshirts of Giuseppe Garibaldi.
The Prince, tries to preserve his family and class amid the tumultuous social upheavals of 1860's Sicily.'

Style-isimo..!
Great scenery, locations, set design, costume design, and steamy love affairs.
Burt Lancaster, with a baws performance!
Some overacting by Cardinale, but who cares?, it's Claudia Cardinale

Oni srazhalis za rodinu
[They Fought For Their Motherland aka They Fought For Their Country]

Sergey Bondarchuk

Soviet WW II drama that follows the remnants of one particular infantry regiment as they retreat to the River Don whilst struggling vainly to stem the tide of the German advance across Russia.

Mixing both action and character study with a smattering of arthouse it's perhaps not always the most straightforward of films but imo generally works quite well and even if a little ponderous in places is a rather engrossing watch overall. Whilst admittedly some of the characters may be a little larger than life they are all well enough played and the action scenes (of which there are enough) are generally decently staged.

It's the human drama that really drives this movie though, heroics are thankfully generally kept to a minimum - these are primarily soldiers trying to survive and make as best of a bad situation as they can. The camaraderie between them feels honest, and the humour which at times is allowed to come very much to the fore (especially in the second half) is surprisingly warm. That a number of scenes are visually quite striking certainly doesn't hinder any enjoyment either.

They Fought For Their Motherland may not always be the most realistic but is a rather effective and enjoyable watch imo and I've no hesitation in awarding it a

Oh! What A Lovely War

Richard Attenborough

WW I musical liberally laced with satirical anti-war sentiment that charts the story of much of the First World War via a series of vignettes/tableaux.

A quite unique film that wears its anti-war colours firmly on its sleeve from the very opening, lampooning the various parties involved in the run-up to the beginning of the war. What follows though is no simple, dryly barbed exercise in wit but instead an offering cleverly constructed around various wartime songs of the period that mixes both the comedic and poignant to very good effect.

That proceedings manage to be so effective without recourse to graphic content is quite admirable, both the futility and absurdity of some of the trench warfare may be spelled out a little too overtly in places but none of the impact is lost for that and wisely whilst the terrible price in terms of loss of life is an aspect that recurs it is not particularly dwelt upon until the fitting finale.

The ensemble cast all play their parts with aplomb and some of the transitions between the 'carnival' HQ and the front are delightfully presented (the French cavalry 'carousel' being a stand-out in that regard).

Oh! What A Lovely War is a little drawn out in places but for me is still very effective in what it sets out to achieve and deserves a
+

The Taking Of Deborah Logan

Adam Robitel

Horror/mystery that employs tried and tested found-footage techniques to mixed effect without breaking any new ground in that subgenre.

The found-footage style of movie making is one that should be ideally suited to horror but sadly for me generally has far too many annoying aspects to ever be that successful and unfortunately this offering, though better than some in that subgenre, is not the one to change that opinion.

The use of sound is not bad in places but again quite predictable and those parts of proceedings that devolve into the standard 'frenetic' style of filming/editing are just as frustratingly annoying as ever - as is some of the overacting and a script that never rises above workmanlike.

Despite the story both failing to convince with its hackneyed mythology and being terribly predictable, Jill Larson is well cast as the lead and makes proceedings that bit more watchable while some of the effects are quite nicely done which results in some decent enough imagery here and there. As is all too often the case with lower budget offerings though the horror aspect is overly reliant on jump scares, most of which can be spotted coming a mile off and therefore rendered far less effective.

The Taking Of Deborah Logan ultimately brings nothing new to the table but is more tolerable than a number of the found-footage subgenre I've seen and as such I can just about justify it scraping a

Rings

F. Javier Gutiérrez

Belated third instalment in the Westernised version of the Japanese horror franchise that doesn't bring enough that's new to the table and generally underwhelms.

That the prologue isn't really needed by anyone already conversant with the franchise can perhaps be forgiven (considering the previous movie was released getting toward a generation ago in 2006) but it's also quite poor in content and imo would have been better kept just to a little exposition without some of the imagery. Thankfully at least it is relatively brief.

Whilst the mystery elements may work to some extent for those new to the franchise and there are some modifications to the established mythology, there simply aren't enough differences to not feel like a cheap retread of previous entries to anyone that has seen them. In terms of acting it's a mixed affair with some of the better performers not made enough use of while Alex Roe gets plenty of screen time but doesn't really have the chops to be second lead imo and Aimee Teegarden is at least only given a relatively brief part.

On the positive side the use of sound and the score generally aren't too bad but they don't really provide the requisite level of creepiness and too much of the proceedings are rather flat and lifeless, even the visions and dream sequences that don't necessarily have to conform to reality are somewhat lacklustre and uninspired. The climactic confrontation does try to build a little excitement but it's far too little too late and the resolution so hackneyed and rushed as to be laughable. Add in precious little Samara (the main strength of the franchise) and the whole is just disappointing.

Rings fits the mould of a sequel that has no real justification which struggles to bring anything of real interest to a franchise and as someone that has a fondness for both the breakthrough Japanese entry and it's American remake I can't honestly give it any more than a

The Neon Demon

Nicolas Winding Refn

Offbeat drama with aspects of horror that crosses something of a Lynchian tale with the aesthetic of Argento.

It's easy to see why this film has proved rather polarising. On the one hand it's often visually quite stunning, on the other it's easy to feel the tale just meanders slowly along with no major depth to it. Sure it presents the fashion industry as intrinsically shallow and one that makes those involved in it become self-absorbed and narcissistic beings (who would sell their own mother if they thought it would gain them an advantage in their dog-eat-dog world) but those are hardly groundbreaking perspectives.

That's not to say it doesn't touch on anything of interest - the yearning for eternal youth is central to the narrative and a theme that has oft been explored cinematically and I quite liked Ruby being shown as working in beautifying both the living and the dead. Focus would appear to have been on how proceedings look more than on any earth-shattering narrative though and on that front I think it is at times quite mesmeric and fascinating.

The Neon Demon may ultimately be style over substance but it's not completely vacuous and in my world there's certainly a place for offerings that have more to offer aesthetically than cerebrally and as a piece of eye candy I'm happy enough to award it a

The Ring
Angel Heart
Blair Witch
I'll have to watch what others recommend because I have not seen many good horror movies

If you include horror/suspense you could go with Blue Velevet and Lost Highway

The Ring
Angel Heart
Blair Witch
I'll have to watch what others recommend because I have not seen many good horror movies

If you include horror/suspense you could go with Blue Velevet and Lost Highway
Yeah The Ring is great (both versions). Personally I'm lukewarm on Angel Heart and thought Blair Witch was pretty dire tbh. The two Lynch's aren't horror.

Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse

Christopher Landon

Horror comedy that's generally competently made and hits the mark occasionally but struggles for originality.

The subgenre of zombie-horror has become rather cluttered over the past few years with far a whole glut of films that are basically variations on a theme, many of which might have their moments but generally struggle to rise above mediocrity and, perhaps unsurprisingly, this entry is sadly no exception.

It actually starts off reasonably well, the first scene giving hope for a movie that may show a nice degree of restraint and self-awareness and perhaps be a little more sophisticated than many of its immediate peers, but sadly it fails to deliver on that promise and fairly quickly descends into being decidedly standard fare. That's not to say it doesn't provide a little fun along the way, it does occasionally, but it's all so formulaic and predictable in terms of plot it's hard to build any real enthusiasm for it whilst the party scene that provides the extended climax is for me actually probably the nadir in proceedings.

Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse is rather hit and miss but does have a few moments which manage to elicit a laugh or smile along the way and I'll give it a
+

I love this movie HARD.
Glad you posted this as I'd never have guessed