Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

10th rewatch...For my money, Mel Brooks' masterpiece

4th rewatch...this movie is not nearly as bad as its reputation...impressive production design, stunning costumes, De Niro is funny and explosive and Minnelli's performance rivals her work in Cabaret

Absolutely agree

What They Had (2018) dir Elizabeth Chomko

A strong drama of alzheimer's and dementia that has it's flaws but features some really sharp acting by Hilary Swank and Liev Schrieber, - I mean Michael Shannon (who is really damn good, as usual).

As the parents are Robert Forster and Blythe Danner (Gwyneth's mommy poo). Forster really can't be bad in a movie like ever, and Danner always seems to get down the eggshelly and remote sophist-o-ditz, and so casting for this movie really could not have been that much better all things considered.

The two adult kids want to lock up their forward retarding senility mom against strong wishes from the father who wants to keep her at home with him, where she can get the most care.

I laughed a few times because this movie offers comedy I don't find too much with more recent films, at least more recent films where the UNIVERSAL logo pumps out its indie rainbow camera flares mixed in with its CGI bumper plate.

The writing is tremendous, and that's not to say that the movie completely works, because it doesn't.

The teenage subplot seems kind of too developed for its own good. I found myself kind of feeling draggy once we took frequent detours to the usual cliche troubled baby of the family. It's not that this component was over-written - it's just that the director made sure to pepper it perfectly even within the film, and even if this may be a semi-autobiographical element to this film - it didn't work for me, personally. It was there enough to want to see something at least resolve more powerfully, and it does not. I suspect the casting might've been wrong for that part which took up so much time.

And looks like I'm out of time so there's the review!

The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion (2018)

A Korean scifi-action that's like a mix of Jason Bourne and superheroes. I'm possibly overrating this but I really like these lab built superhuman flicks (especially when they're teen girls). Starts really slow but picks up the pace nicely.

(probably a good example of how I rate on entertainment value alone)

The Lighthouse (2016)

Impressively grumpy tale of 2 men stranded on an rock island manning a lighthouse when a storm comes and strands them indefinitely. Based on a true story about their descent into madness in the isolation. OK, not many chuckles in this one but the acting was superb and the claustrophobic atmosphere is captured very well. British Drama stalwart Mark Lewis Jones sure can do grumpy!!! And angry!!! 6/10.

A Star is Born (2018)

Pretty decent retelling of the standard svengali tale. Some bits are really good (mostly involving Cooper who deserves great credit for starring and directing). Its very predictable and the transition of Ally from club singer to megastar could have been done in an 80s "montage" fashion it was that linear. Good performances from the leads so a 5/10.

Creed II (2018)

Pretty good but for over a 2 hour film there are few (if any) really iconic scenes. Ivans scenes with Viktor did stand out. All play well but just a little soapy for me.

6/10.

A very good Shaw Bros. Kung Fu flick. A young man goes to a Shaolin temple to learn Kung Fu. His goal - learn Kung Fu then take what he's learned back to the regular folks so that they may be able to defend themselves from the Manchu. It's a really simple plot. Most of the movie takes place at the temple and is about his training. There isn't a ton of fighting in this but there's enough and it's all A+ stuff.

Like the poster says it's a R and R exploitation film. Wasn't bad. Acting (hammy) and story (minimal) are on par for these types of movies. The biggest problem I have with R and R movies, and this is where this one falls, is when the revenge doesn't quite measure up to the crime. I think the bad guys in this one got off a little light. All in all not bad - there's plenty of stuff happening to keep your eyes on the screen.

Mine either - the cast,the plot (thank you Mr. Shakespeare) and titular poem
I don't think it's a 10/10 movie, but I do think Heath Ledger's performance alone makes it worth watching.

Desolation Canyon (David S. Cass Sr., 2006)
+
Patrick Duffy channels his inner cowboy but ends up as slightly miffed Noel Edmonds more than Clint Eastwood

Never heard of anyone in this indie movie, but I thought it was terrific.