Serenity

Tools    

Josh Wheadon begins production of Serenity, a film based on his short-lived science fiction western Firefly, in two weeks

Ooooh---I cant wait for this movie. I had never seen the show before, and recently procured the DVD set. Wow. Good stuff. Its really too bad that they wont be back for Season 2. Can anyone explain that?

Anyway, I talked to a guy who said that all of the original cast will be in the new Serenity movies (woo hoo!) , which of course, I am veeery glad to hear. I was worried that we wouldnt get quite the same mix of JAYNE's personality. I dont hink anyone could be quite as annoying as he is.

Im looking forward to the movie.

Universal has opened up a website for [i]Serenity[/y], the Firefly movie.

There's an official blog there with news about the progress of the filming, but best of all there's a message board with thousands of hard-core Firefly fans who can fill you in on the dirt regarding FOX's cancellation of this great show.

When the Flash page loads, click on "Join the Browncoats" and sign up.

Serenity: The Official Movie Website

Yeah-- A guy told me about it on another forum! I checked it out and it IS pretty nice. A bit involved though. Plus, somebody already has my username! Ah, I may register sooner or later, when I get to point where I have a jones for it. Other than that, the guy said that it was canceled due to a conflict over the placement of the episodes.

Originally Posted by mack
Yeah-- A guy told me about it on another forum! I checked it out and it IS pretty nice. A bit involved though. Plus, somebody already has my username! Ah, I may register sooner or later, when I get to point where I have a jones for it. Other than that, the guy said that it was canceled due to a conflict over the placement of the episodes.

I am really looking forward to this, I loved that show.

I saw a preview for this at Comic-Con a few weeks ago. Joss and the cast were all there, plus a two-minute or so trailer. I've never watched an episode of "Firefly", but the clip of the movie looked like good Sci-Fi. A freind has lent me her DVD set, I just haven't gotten around to watching them yet.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I saw a preview for this at Comic-Con a few weeks ago. Joss and the cast were all there, plus a two-minute or so trailer. I've never watched an episode of "Firefly", but the clip of the movie looked like good Sci-Fi. A freind has lent me her DVD set, I just haven't gotten around to watching them yet.
I have it, its great Science Fiction. This could really be a great movie series for those of us who emjoy Sc-Fi. On the Browncoats website it says all the location shooting is done and they started the on set shooting about a month ago. I believe the release date is set for Apr 2005

the fan base is out of this world. This creation by Joss is really a very good depiction of the quintessential Scifi book/movie/plot, imo. Definitely A quality.

A website called BrownCoats actually broke this story back in March....
lost of good info on their site.

A FIREFLY fansite called Browncoats has published what appears to be a casting call breakdown sheet for the SERENITY feature film, describing the supporting characters needed to be filled for the movie. In all the sheet describes 13 characters including the need for a child actress to play River Tam at the age of 10.

While the sheet doesn't reveal specific story spoilers about what will happen in Joss Whedon's movie, it does hint at places we'll get to see the crew of the Serenity, and it definitely tells us of the new people we'll see. For instance, there's the character known as "The Operative", a mysterious government agent that is pursuing the Serenity across the galaxy. Or how about "Mr. Universe", an acquaintance of Malcolm Reynolds that is described as being "the ultimate information junkie." There's also descriptions for an older companion friend of Inara's; a doctor that seems to be the one that experimented on River; two identical twins that have a business deal with Mal; and another doctor that appears as a hologram on a "desolate" planet. And there's more.

Source: Browncoats

I hope the movie will be good. I liked the show, with the exception of all the explicit stuff put onscreen. The characters are great, and the acting is good- especially for a TV show. I have to go check out this trailer you're talking about!
*Signs
*Always
*The Hunt for Red October
*Pirates of the Caribbean; TCotBP
*High Noon

Rosie, I think you hit on something....I did think at one point that I wouldnt necessarily want a child to watch the show..... Its weird, I couldnt put my finger on it. The "unaired" episodes just went there. I almost wonder it Joss Whedon would be more comfortable on HBO. Come to think of it, Buffy gets, uhmm...interesting too.

Yeah. I don't know how or why that stuff gets in TV shows, especially. I mean, it can be alluded to without haveing to stick it up there on the screen for all to see. Maybe some people like it that way. I do not.

So, what's doing with this trailer? I haven't seen one yet.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have seen a trailer and it is basically just a lot of shiny ships and River doing a lot of fighting, not too much else. It looks like there will be a lot of River in the film. I wonder how they will get the balance of explaining the backstory for people who haven't seen the show and not repeating stuff too much for people who have.

Serenity
The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family - squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal.

When Mal takes on two new passengers-a young doctor and his unstable, telepathic sister-he gets much more than he bargained for. The pair are fugitives from the coalition dominating the universe, who will stop at nothing to reclaim the girl. The crew that was once used to skimming the outskirts of the galaxy unnoticed find themselves caught between the unstoppable military force of the Universal Alliance and the horrific, cannibalistic fury of the Reavers, savages who roam the very edge of space. Hunted by vastly different enemies, they begin to discover that the greatest danger to them may be on board Serenity herself.

Release Date: September 30, 2005
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Joss Whedon
Screenwriter: Joss Whedon
Cast: Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Jewel Staite, Sean Maher, Summer Glau, Ron Glass, Chiwetel Ejiofor
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of intense violence and action, and some sexual references)
Official Website: Serenitymovie.com

'Serenity' - Domestic (U.S.) Trailer

Hi-Res
Med-Res
Lo-Res

'Serenity' - International Trailer

Hi-Res
Med-Res
Lo-Res

True, they are listed in the cast....guess it will be difficult to give equal screen time to all the characters in a 2hr film, it is a kind of ensemble show.

I wonder when they will start showing the trailers in cinemas?

Btw, I wasn't questioning your choice of stills, I have seen all the ones I can find on the net and was just curious that those two characters don't figure in the main shots. Seems kind of odd, you'd think they'd use pics of Morena Baccarin to lure teenage boys to go see the film

This one is gonna be great! I have links to the fanpimp site on my webpage.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
I wonder when they will start showing the trailers in cinemas?
They have been doing so for quite sometime now. One of the latest films the trailer has been attached to was War of the Worlds and then The Fantastic Four.

Trailer is up on the bbc site now.

*UK* Release date 7th October.