What was the last movie to scare you?

Tools    

I've loved horror movies since I was a kid, the old vampire and monster movies and actors like Vincent Price would scare the crap out of me. I would watch them, cover my face with my hands but still look trough my fingers. I think most of us have been there.

Earlier this evening I watched 'The crazies' and last night 'Dead Cert'. Though both good movies, well I enjoyed them. I couldn't see any horror in them.

This got me thinking as to when a horror movie last gave me the shudders, and couldn't really think of one.

The nearest I got to answer was some of the Japanese movies have come close, The Ring and The Grudge plus one or two others as they work on tension build up and not so much the gallons of blood everywhere.

Is it me or have horror movies now become tame and no more than blood laden thrillers?

I'm not particularly a fan of horror movies. At least not the gore-fest variety that the genre has been for years. I like the intelligent "thriller" type as opposed to the blood and guts "slasher" type. Hitchcock's Psycho still gives me the chills. I suppose that's not really a horror movie, at least not these days, but that's the type of scary movie I go for.

Having said that, I did watch the first Candyman film years ago and was reluctant to look in mirrors for days afterward...

I'm pretty sure there are other threads like this, but for the record these are the only two films to scare me while I watched them.

Though I did get scared walking home after seeing this.

Resident evil-4........

I watched Silence of the lambs recently, and every time I watch that, it just creeps me out. The first scene which you see Hannibal standing there waiting for Clarice in his cell, just sends chills up my spine.

Oh and I watched Hitchcock's Rebecca. Mrs Danvers is creepy as.

Been awhile. I suppose it'd be Paranormal Activity.
Yeah same...their acting was SO good...they acted like a couple messing around with a camcorder...like they had their little fights sometimes and their little inside jokes...they would flirt with each other like a couple would...their fights even seemed realistic...the people who made this movie are coming out with another one too....

It's effects heavy and maybe more "action" than horror, but I was really frightened by some of the scenes in this film. I think much of it had to do with the clever designs of the horror creatures. Pyramid-head, for one, is nothing less than the stuff of nightmares at its purest. He is also something quite majestic and, dare I say, "beautiful" to observe, which adds a whole 'nother dimension to those sequences. The other mannequinesque creatures were really horrifying just to conceive of mentally. The designers were quite brilliant in incorporating "gore" into the actual exterior and implied interior anatomies of the creatures in question as well as the environments. The "gore" is implied in the form of the creatures themselves. The walls peel away and bleed like skin upon the encroaching "darkness".

There is also one single image that will always stand out in my mind of "The Janitor" creature crawling around in the vein-covered bathroom while puss bubbles up from the floor. This room, this space... isn't something you'd rather die than be inside of? However, what struck me was that---if you really think about it---the interiors of our stomachs probably look no different.

Calling John McClane... I'd say this movie is so scary precisely because it rejects the notion of BODIES WITHOUT ORGANS, constantly reminding us of the horrifying, unbearable reality of the interstitial phase space beneath our skin. What is the darkness but a journey into a body with organs? Apparently nothing less than living hell.

Also, the final act---though triumphant---is incredibly disturbing.

And at the end of fear, oblivion
I love horror movies. But horror movies that are artificial, with no emotional core, a lot of stupid dialogue, dislikable characters and too much/or unrealistic gore, those things don't scare me at all. They're just amusing to me.

What really scares me and disturbs me, is simple things, made in a realistic way.
Including good performances, of course.

Most movies that are based on real stories (if well done) scare me most. Disturb me the most because i know it happened.

Like for example, movie "From Hell" based on real serial killer Jack the Ripper, really disturbed me. I had a lot of nightmares and couldn't sleep with the lights off for days.

"The Silence of the Lambs" scared me more than "The Exorcist", "Psycho" and "The Shining" put together. Actually, those didn't scare me at all. But still i think they're great.

"A Tale of Two Sisters" scared me to death because it's very realistic.
"The Orphanage" creeped me out...i even had to close my eyes in one scene.

"The Exorcism of Emily Rose" really scared and disturbed me aswell. I know that movie has 'supernatural' stuff..which is something that usually doesn't scare me, but this one was made in a realistic way.

Like "Paranormal Activity". It's about things we don't know that exist so the movie should be stupid and unreal but...this one is made in a way that..almost makes me believe those things exist.

"Rec 2" was the last movie that scared me. But not THAT much.
I loved it. Maybe more than the first one.

King of Couch Potatoes
I enjoy horror movies (more of the psychological terror type than the gore/cheap scare tactics type), but movies don't really scare me anymore. Which sucks, because I very very much want to find a movie that scares me. I've been thinking about that lately myself, wanting to find a good one.

I guess the closest has been Paranormal Activity. It was a bit unsettling.

I remember Candyman scaring me when I was little lol Due to this park near in my area had this restroom there just reminded me of that Candyman scene. I wouldn't go in there lol Another that scared me as a kid was one called American Gothic. Don't know why, just scared me (of course I was really young). Psycho and The Shining got me when I was younger. I never did get what was scary about Exorcist. It wasn't scary, just disturbing a bit.

Like mentioned above though by another guy, I do much more prefer psychological thrillers too.

...I can't remember one...all I can think of is when I started watching horror films
when I was like...ten, my nightmares left.

The first Hostel film. And for different reasons, Frozen.

I have gone off of slasher films, finding myself rooting for the killer so he´ll kill all the kids and get the film over with.

I was in Spain last month and they had a TV show on at 10am, showing clips where people had been badly injured or died and some were horrible. A bull gored someone (Pamplona, I think) and it´s horn got stuck inside him and it shook him about like a rag doll, trying to dislodge him. A fire eater whose act when wrong and the alcohol in his mouth caught alight and he spit some out and his face caught alight. A racing car lost it on the bend and it flipped over and over, with first the head hanging out of the car then part of the body and head, and that slammed into the ground on one roll. A man swinging into a balcony below from a blazing building. He got his legs in but more was out than in and he went head first to the ground below. And more of the same.

People made a big deal of Paranormal Activity i think. I didnt bother with it until recently and it certainly was a jump out your seat film. A few parts had me thinking man thats a bit creepy but all in all i expected more tbh.

Yes.. kidnap a couple of people, film them getting tortured.
Then invite their families for the premiere.

I hope some sicko is not actually reading this.
Well you know I read these threads. It's your own fault.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Will there ever be a movie that's actually scary?
If you mean a film where you actually fear for your OWN life while watching it, then probably not. But if you mean that if the same thing was happening to you and/or your loved ones in real life, outside the experience of watching a movie, then I would think that there have been many scary movies. It mostly depends on how "into the movie" you are. If you're totally sucked in and feel you're one of the characters or at least with them, I would think you would at least fear for somebody's life. If you watch a movie with the attitude that it cannot scare you, then I'd probably say to not bother to watch "scary" movies. Obviously everybody's different about about how they feel about movies of all different kinds. I think we have several MoFos here who find musicals scarier than horror flicks.

If you mean a film where you actually fear for your OWN life while watching it, then probably not.
Could "life" be interpreted as "soul"? In other words, are there movies so depraved that we fear we have committed an ethical error by merely watching them? That would be, for me, an actualized fear that would extend beyond a mere immersion into the narrative.