Security Software....

Tools    

Well, recently bought myself a laptop and was wondering if anyone knew of any good security software (mainly for the internet)?

Not got a huge budget for any, so the cheaper the better (as long as cheap doesn't mean nasty )

The People's Republic of Clogher
Security software as in what? Firewall and antivirus?

I've been using Sygate Personal Firewall for yonks. It's stopped being developed but still passes any test you care to throw at it but can be hard to find thesedays. Oh....go on then! You can find it here. It's free.

I don't think an antivirus is as important as a firewall but, for the record, I use AVG's free edition - here.

I saw McAfee2006 going cheap a few months back in PC World so bought it but the thing was so horrible that I was back using freeware within a few days.

Shields UP! is a great little website for checking your firewall security. The £24.99 McAfee firewall failed it, whereas Sygate, Kerio, Zone Alarm (ie, the free ones) all aced the test.

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I was meaning (I should have been a bit less vague), didn't want to go and spend money on fancy programs if there were cheaper/better alternatives.

Cheers!

what u want is
Originally Posted by Tacitus
No problem.