Spiderman 3 (2007)

Tools    

I See You When You're Sleeping
I couldn't find any threads started on this.

What's New? These are the main rumours....

Gwen Stacy (Bryce Howard) - Look Here!

Sandman (Thomas Haden Church)

Venom - Topher Grace

There's treachery afoot!!!
Ok, What the F**k!!! Gwen Stacy???? How can they cast an actress for her part now! I myself am a big fan of the comics and if you've seen the first movie and know about the comics you can see how they make allusions for what happened to Gwen by using MJ. Such as Green Goblin throwing MJ off the bridge and the final battle between Spider-man and The Green Goblin. Though when Green Goblin threw Gwen off the bridge Spider-man shot his web and caught her but subsuquently snapped her neck in the process.

The first two movies seemed to want to skip over Gwen Stacy's relationship with Peter and get right into His and MJ's relationship. The one way I can see this working well is they work off what Marvel has going that's called The 'Ultimate' Marvel Universe where they had Peter dating MJ and they had Gwen introduced and was killed by Carnage and even in the comics that sorta sucked but who knows how Raimi will work it out.

On another note does anyone think how wierd it is that they cast a redhead to playa blonde and a blonde to play a redhead. Also Bryce looks more like MJ and Dunst Looks like Gwen???

Originally Posted by MinionTV
At least it's not Bryce's dad, Ron!
I'm not that into the comics so this might seem like a stupid question to most but b4 he met MJ or Gwen didnt he have a thing for Felica Hardy 1st? At least tahts how i member the tv show as a kid.

No, in the comics (which is really the main source material), it was Gwen first, then MJ, then Betty Brant, then Felicia, then MJ, then Felicia, then MJ, then Felicia...

I know the casting seems odd and working in a character out of order is even more odd, but Raimi has done such a great job with the movies I'm sure he'll only improve on the comics. And Bryce Howard was great in "The Village", so I don't mind her being in this movie at all.

Randomly visiting for now
yeah the movies have been good so far, the director (raimi) has done a great job. I'm not to fussed on the order concerning to comic books of Spiderman's girlfriends but I can't wait to see venom. He was definately one of the coolest characters when I watched the show.

Does anyone know if either Marvel or Sony has actualy confirmed that Topherr Grace is actually playing Venom??

Most sites still list his character as "unknown". If it wasn't for Kirsten Dunst, there wouldn't even be any talk about it.

I still wish the Lizard had been in this one though.

Please Turn Off Your Cell Phones
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
Does anyone know if either Marvel or Sony has actualy confirmed that Topherr Grace is actually playing Venom??
it would suck if he did. venom is supposed to be buff and tall

Someone needs their fill.
Originally Posted by LUUUKE
So is Beast in X3, yet Kelsey Grammer is playing him and they've made him look pretty tough.

Seeing how well the other two films have done I have faith that they'll make venom look good. Even introducing Gwen Stacy into the film (which is still a little peculiar).

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by LUUUKE
Venom is actually a suit.... Neither buff, nor tall. If a buff and/or tall person put the suit on, he would then be buff and/or tall...

I presume they will go with the Ultimate origin of venom, as the original is not very cool (and marvel has sworn of alien characters for good).

[spoilers = Venom Origin]In Ultimate Spiderman, the suit is an experiment in the fight against terminal disease, namely cancer. The biosuit is legacy left to Peter and another character by their fathers, who had been working on the project.[/spoilers]

I like the Ultimate origin of venom WAY more than the original, as I always thought Venom was sort of goofy and over the top before. WIll be interesting to see what they do with it...

I figured they'd do the space option since MJs fiancee in Spiderman 2 had just returned from space or something. Or maybe i made it up, but i'm sure someone went to space in Spidey 2 so i assume that will link in Venom to Spidey 3.

Ultimate sounds a bit too like how all the other (film) villians got their powers- science, i'd like to see something different like alien, i'd find it interesting to see the change.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I figured they'd do the space option since MJs fiancee in Spiderman 2 had just returned from space or something
In the original story, John Jamison brings the symbiote suit back. So yeah, they could go that route. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will. I mean, John Jamison could have just been included for continuity (and to serve as MJ's squeeze to torment Peter). Look at Dr. Connors. He might never turn into the Lizard in the films, but just his presence brings the Spiderman world alive a little bit more.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Venom is actually a suit.... Neither buff, nor tall. If a buff and/or tall person put the suit on, he would then be buff and/or tall...
I'd be upset if Venom wasn't hulking, though. Ideally, he should be computer-generated. I mean, he looks a certain way in the comics because of the nature of his character, and - visually - he's supposed to be a stark opposite to Spiderman. (It's the same reason why I hate the sleek, GQ Superman suit for Superman Returns. You can't change the design of a character to something that doesn't match that character himself).

Ok, What the F**k!!! Gwen Stacy????
My thoughts exactly. Why are they trying to stick her in there now? I know they wanted to establish Mary Jane (the eventual love interest) early on, but it would have been more potent to have Peter suffer the death of Gwen Stacy to reinforce the "if my enemies found out my identity, they could hurt the ones I love" routine. That would have given Peter a precedent for his reluctance to pursue Mary Jane.

On another note does anyone think how wierd it is that they cast a redhead to playa blonde and a blonde to play a redhead. Also Bryce looks more like MJ and Dunst Looks like Gwen???
Jesus, you're right! Not just the looks thing, the characters seem like they'd be so much better if flipped. Bryce Dallas Howard can play fiesty, womanly, independent, and mature better than Kirsten Dunst, and Dunst can play the bubbly-but-sincere beauty queen better than Howard. At least, that's how I always interpreted the characters.

I always thought that Topher Grace could take over the role of Peter Parker when Tobey Maguire got to be too expensive. It's odd to see them in the same movie.

In the comics John Jameson became the Man Wolf or Werewolf-by-Night, didn't he?

Easily, but it just shows that they can feel free to ignore certain aspects of the comics. That was a pretty good jump he made onto the boat at the end of 2 though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This movie is going to be so long. Should be interesting to see how they plan to fit, Venom, Sandman, Harry+Green Goblin Suit, Gwen all into one movie.

Are there any plans for more? If so will Raimi and co still be apart of the series? I'd like to see Raimi get into other films. Besides, how many times do you want to see Spider-man swinging around anyway?

Suspect's Reviews

Originally Posted by Sleezy
My thoughts exactly. Why are they trying to stick her in there now? I know they wanted to establish Mary Jane (the eventual love interest) early on, but it would have been more potent to have Peter suffer the death of Gwen Stacy to reinforce the "if my enemies found out my identity, they could hurt the ones I love" routine. That would have given Peter a precedent for his reluctance to pursue Mary Jane.

Jesus, you're right! Not just the looks thing, the characters seem like they'd be so much better if flipped. Bryce Dallas Howard can play fiesty, womanly, independent, and mature better than Kirsten Dunst, and Dunst can play the bubbly-but-sincere beauty queen better than Howard. At least, that's how I always interpreted the characters.

I'm glad someone agrees with mee all my friends are trying to side with Raimi's decision and saying that he'll do a great job yadda yadda yadda. Gwen was probably the second-most powerful driving force behind Peter staying a super hero, behind Uncle Ben. I was really looking forward to this movie and after this news, not so much now.

Everytime I look at Bryce Howard I see Mary Jane and vice versa for Dunst as Gwen.

In the Beginning...
I'm glad someone agrees with mee all my friends are trying to side with Raimi's decision and saying that he'll do a great job yadda yadda yadda. Gwen was probably the second-most powerful driving force behind Peter staying a super hero, behind Uncle Ben. I was really looking forward to this movie and after this news, not so much now.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad decision to include her. In fact, she needs to be there. All I'm saying is, why are they putting her in the films now? I believe the first film, as acclaimed as it is, would have benefited from her character all the more. Now, it seems like her character might not have the effect she's supposed to have because, as viewers, we've already been there. We know what bad guys can do if they find out who Spiderman really is. We don't need a dead girl to tell us that.

And the whole reason why Gwen Stacy shakes things up so much is because Peter honestly loves her when he suffers her death. How is Raimi going to swing that angle now that Peter and Mary Jane are together? My guess is he's going to leave the Peter/Gwen love story at the door. Which again begs the question: Why are they putting her in the films now?