His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass

Tools    

Someone needs their fill.
Yeah, at one point someone decided to publish them chronologically, which kinda bugs me. I like the idea of The Magician's Nephew (which is sixth in my set) as a prequel that goes back and explains the foundations of the world you've been exploring, rather than as a simple origin story.
You're not doing a very good job of resisting that Narnia Urge Yoda, lol.

Anyways, this preview has motivated me to pick up the books.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Failure: "Kidman said some of the religious elements were removed from the movie script. "It has been watered down a little," she told Entertainment Weekly.

"I was raised Catholic, the Catholic Church is part of my essence," Kidman said.

"I wouldn't be able to do this film if I thought it were at all anti-Catholic.""

So...the entire heart of the trilogy is already dead in the water.

Lost in never never land
This is a series that I am looking forward to see on film. I am a little worried that it will end up being turned more into fluff, as Narnia was, to try and appeal to a younger audience. Both this and the Narnia series are primarily about philosophy and theology, but you don't get that from the LtWatW. I do think that the cast for TGC looks very strong and that they should do a good job, but I wonder at times how the material will translate, and how the director is going to want it to translate.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718640/video/4451177/

New trailer is out and my word is it a lot closer to what I hoped for. There are still plenty of obvious changes, but a LOT closer all the same.

Can't wait now!

'The Amber Spyglass won the 2001 Whitbread Book of the Year award, a prestigious British literature award. This is the first time that such an award has been bestowed on a book from their "children's literature" category.'

that's from wiki.
i read all the books, and basically that was a reading compared to LoTR. especially the ending to the Amber Spyglass. really, really epic.
true that Pullman is anticatholic, but anti-God - I'm not that sure, as God in his books is considered as the one created by the church. It was a bit shocking for me (as a catholic) at times, thou.

will the whole trilogy be filmed?

Lost in never never land
I am sure that if the first one does well enough, and it would be extremely hard to imagine that it won't do well enough in theaters, that the other two will be made. There might already be plans to make them not pending on the first ones success.

Lets put a smile on that block
Well the time has finally come, the day is here. Bit of a weird day for a release date, but today The Golden Compass goes on general release.

I have pretty high hopes for it for several reasons. I shall now list them.

Phillip Pullman is happy with the finished product. At the Premiere in London and in several interviews he has said he is happy with how it has turned out and is really pleased with what Weitz has done with it. So if the authors happy, thats a good sign.

Reviews have been pretty good, only problems i have heard are that it lacks heart and the cruelty to children is pretty hardcore. I for one love a bit of children cruelty, look at Roald Dahl, the man THRIVED on it and it never did him any harm. Hurrah!

Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Eva Green, Ian McKellen. Oh yes.

The only issue i have with it is the removal of most of the anti-religious issues, which is understandable, but it makes me wonder that if New Line decide to go ahead with the rest of the trilogy, how is this going to affect the story in the final film? Hmmmm. I guess we shall have to wait and see how GC does at the box office first....

I for one am seeing it tonight and i cant bloody wait. Huzzah!

You ready? You look ready.
I have employee appreciation at Barnes and Nobles until Sunday, so I will definitely be picking these up before then.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I'm planning on seeing it this month with a reading group minus the religiously afraid, outraged, morally opposed folk.