Stormbreaker

Tools    

Cast: Alex Pettyfer, Ewan McGregor, Mickey Rourke, Alicia Silverstone, Andy Serkis, Bill Nighy, Damian Lewis, Sophie Okonedo

Synopsis: Based on the best selling young adult adventure series of books by Anthony Horowitz, this story concerns Alex Rider, a 14-year-old orphan who has been unwittingly trained all his life by his uncle with the skills to become a secret agent--scuba diving, mountaineering, martial arts and so on. When his uncle, an MI6 agent, is killed, Rider learns the truth and finds himself forced against his will to take on a dangerous mission for the British secret service. Using the tools and gadgets of the trade in the vein of 007, Alex must infiltrate the lair of billionaire and possibly evil mastermind Darrius Sayle in order to stop him from releasing a biological weapon upon all of England via his brand new, high tech Stormbreaker computers.

its has Mickey Rourke thats all i need to hear
any movie that has him starring
sign me up!

I read Horowitz's "Stormbreaker" this summer and found it surprisingly good and had the right ingredients to make a successful dark kid's action flick. The casting I've been a little leniant on....
first the goods: Andy Serkis as Mr. Grin(...even though i thought the one picturel of him was far different than i imagined him to be), Alex Pettyfer as Alex Rider looks like he can play the part well......and the overall "look" of the film from several stills is pretty impressive and close to how i imagined the tone of the book. i also like Ewan Mcgregor playing the Uncle so should be interesting even if it is somewhat brief.....maybe start the movie off with a fast paced mission scene with him in it and then show him get brutally killed and then Alex bolting up from the nightmare.
The bads.... as much as i liked Mickey Rourke as Marv in Sin City...i so do not see him playing the villain....the villain looks like the ugly long-lost brother of the Don Rafael Montero character (Mask of Zorro villain)
Now I haven't seen the movie yet (since it wont be released until October), so i'm not sure what's what...but i read from an interview with auther Horowitz that he omitted several key scenes and changed around plot points so it would make a better movie. I personally think he didn't need to touch anything...it would've been great the way it was IMO. But i'm mostly excited about the action scenes...i wanna see what the director did with them.

I finally saw the movie. What a huge dissapointment! Everything about the movie was so so wrong; let alone even the action scenes(which were sorta choreographed cooly and were somewhat stylish) were way too shaky and fast-paced. I had no time to realize who hit who, what was happening, etc.
As i predicted, Mickey Rourke as the sly villain was a awful...totally killed the book-version character, and the woman who played his german sidekick, TOTALLY WRONG AND HORRIBLE. Andy Serkis as Mr. Grin, didn't have much to do, but he just didn't come off as that menacing as i hoped he would...he was just kinda there at random times during the movie, and just a bore.
I didn't like Alicia silverstone one bit.....she seemed way too artificial.and Bill Nighy's (although i like him as an actor) character was really boring and purposefully lame(even in the book he came across as dull and low-key, but at least he was somewhat interesting and witty rather than boring.)
Alex Pettyfer was okay, but his one-liners were just painful to hear.
Only thing i took away from the movie was Ewan Mcgregor's terribly short cameo as his uncle. ...I would've preferred a whole movie just on him and his mission. That wouldve been more exciting, now after seeing this dissapointing movie.
In conclusion: bad movie, big dissapointment. im gonna go read the book again, which was loads better and imagine a much better movie. Let's hope there is no sequel in the works....i'd much rather stick to the books.