Poseidon Trailer

Tools    

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/poseidon/

im sure alot of people have heard of this/seen the trailer but for those who haven't here it is, supposedly the Golden Child of Warner Brothers flicks this yr.

Saw the trailer with Kong tonight. Looks like a steaming pile of crap. But then, so was the original. I'm embarassed for Ricky Dreyfuss.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In the Beginning...
I never understood how this concept was even plausible. If a ship sitting right-side up takes on water in the cargo compartments, it could stay afloat a while, given that the majority of the ship isn't immediately flooded. If a ship turns over, though, the entire sheer weight of the thing (not to mention the relative lack of flood resistance at higher decks) would make the ship sink pretty quickly. It would just flood too fast, and become to heavy to sustain a float for any substantial amount of time.

That said, it's still an interesting concept for a film, and I'll probably see it. The original was tolerable enough.

A system of cells interlinked
There are a few gripping scenes in the original, like the long swim underwater, but for the most part, the thing falls flat for me these days. Strange, as I used to love it when I was a kid...

Meanwhile, Holden saw Kong. How was it?

I kept thinking a giant squid was going to attack, all i got was another boring ship sinking

ohhhh wow, this movie is going to be so fun to watch

looks pretty adventurous and super cool

It can't be worse than the recent TV remake. You know it's bad when steve guttenberg isn't the worst thing in the movie.

former dallas cowboy cheerleader
With the recent release of a special edition TITANIC DVD, why in the hell would they try for this nonsense? and why is Kurt Russel in this?

The original Poseidon Adventure is now just cheesy fun. But in its day, it was pretty audacious fun. The entire inverted set and the odd collection of characters and the magnificent "falling through the skylight stunt" made it not just fun, but actually exciting in its day.

I think that everyone involved in this film is hoping to recapture those elements of the original. And I think they'll fail. Disaster movies were fresh in the 1970's. Now, pretty much every form of disaster movie has been done and redone. So, the effects will probably be better than they were in the original. Meh. We expect that. It would take one hell of a script to make a disaster movie interesting today. And nothing I've seen indicates they will have one.