Hurricane Irma

Tools    

We haven't heard from ClaireoftheMoon. She's in FL & hasn't posted for many hours.
I think there's no electricity over there.

There are still a lot of people without power. It may take a week or more to restore it all. I'm very worried about a member on a different forum that rode it out in the keys....

I think we all need a little patience. They'll catch up with us.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
just starting to get back to normal at my house. taking a week's vacation starting next weekend and it's also my husband's birthday, really hoping Maria and Jose stay away, otherwise our vaca money will be spent on more hurricane supplies. already had to dip into it a bit for Irma.

bleh, being a floridian this time of year is so ****ing anxiety inducing (esp if you live right on the fkn beach lol)

Living next to a Florida beach has always seemed like a dream. Now, maybe not so much.

We got hit pretty hard in Houston.

2 more headed this way though. Crazy.

House is OK, was stuck at home for a week - trapped in by high water.

Office is destroyed. I'm working from home until November (at least).

Wow. Glad the house is okay, at least. What was it like being stuck there for a week? I'm guessing you guys had plenty of time to prep for the worst?

Yes, last two days we had to get creative with stuff in the pantry

Thing is, we always seem to prep for the last storm but they're all different and increasingly worse it seems. Well, not so much the storms but the effects.

Houston is constantly growing and I'd bet we have more concrete than any other city. You can drive for 50 miles and still be in Houston (that's true). All that paving and concrete blocks soil absorption so the water just starts standing. This city has always been reactionary - no zoning or master plan. This time anything >130' below sea level got flooded. I think it was 115 or 120 last time.