ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Definitely going to have to get to this one soon. Absolutely loved Julieta btw.
I think you're going to like this alot. There is a lineage in this film directly linked to a few all time classic Euro movies.

Unregistered User
I think you're going to like this alot. There is a lineage in this film directly linked to a few all time classic Euro movies.

Going by your review, I think so too. We've hit the same notes on quite a few recently.
Thanks again

The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)

Dir.: Tyler Nilson, Michael Schwartz

Very sweet indie drama. I was taken in by the film's charm early on and it didn't let up for the whole movie. It's a sentimental piece about belonging and it does have over the top moments but you expect those in a film of this type.

As well as it's flaws it also has alot of balls. It follows the story of two misfits, one is Zak, a man with Down's Syndrome who just wants to escape his care home and be a wrestler (Zack Gottsagen), and the other is Tyler, a down on his luck guy on the edge of the community (Shia LaBeouf). The viewer begins to care about the characters as they try and find their way through the Georgia swamps, out of trouble and to wherever their path lies. Dakota Johnson provides the looks, as the care home worker responsible for tracking down Zak. Gottsagen's performance is very gentle and real, and reminded me of the 2016 film 'My Feral Heart', which also focused on Down's Syndrome. But Shia LeBeouf steals the show here. He really shows us his acting chops. The guy can act. Seriously act.

If you enjoyed the movies 'Mud' and 'Short Term 12' - you'll enjoy this. There are some very decent shots of the deep south, including some super drone footage and you get the feeling the Directors threw everything at it. The result is an impressive, heartwarming drama that hits the spot.

'Storytelling' (2001)

Dir.: Todd Solondz

This is now possibly my favourite Todd Solondz. Hilarious all the way through. The darkest of dark humour and one of the funniest films I've seen for a long time. The cast is impressive too...Julie Hagerty, John Goodman, Leo Fitzpatrick, Selma Blair, Robert Wisdom, Paul Giamatti.

Family life is a total joke when you're young, and trying to decide what to do with your life is impossible at that age. This movie dissects how dysfunctional family life is even though it can appear idyllic from the outside. The second segment is alot more memorable than the 1st.

'Tell me who I am' (2019)

Netflix documentary

I felt a bit sorry for the twin who wasn't in the accident. It's made out to be an incredible true story, but it isn't really that incredible. It's nothing to write home about.

'Werckmeister Harmonies'

Dir.: Bella Tarr.

Long scenes, long takes, little dialogue and bizarre in parts but extraordinarily beautiful. The opening scene alone was just mezmerizing, as the character Janos tries to explain an eclipse of the sun to a bunch of drunkards in a bar. There are Tarkovsky like values to this style of film-making and parts of it feel other worldly and poetic. It's poetic in its' visuals and dialogue and strikingly shot with great use of camerawork and light.

Tarr refuses to be drawn on what it all means but I'm torn somewhere between a sense of European history and remorse of what went on during the great wars, and a cautionary tale of sorts as to how capitalism / modern society can ruin a country's people. There's also a theme of man being responsible for his own actions, and the phrase "He who is afraid, knows nothing" is uttered poignantly as if to remark on it's importance.

The music in this film is also pretty incredibly and used so well. The lead piece by Mihaly Vig is lovely, and you have to assume the slightly out of tune piano is purposefully recorded that way, given the subtext in the film.

Does Janos represent the state of Hungary after these events? In need of being nursed back to health. The title of the movie suggests that the sequence mentioning Werckmeister's music is key - so we might then take that as a reference / analogy to the elderly composer's desire to create a less rigid way of life. As is the case with many great films, it is up to the viewer's interpretation.

My first ever Tarr movie. And it's probably in my top 100 movies of all time. I just wish it was available on Blu Ray. The DVD I had was fine but didn't do the beautifully shot images justice.

'Barry Lyndon' (1975)

Sweet, sweet visuals. Probably the best looking Kubrick film, rivaled only by '2001'. The use of natural light in this film when melded with the locations is pretty amazing. The interior shots especially, as countless others have said - many of them could be priceless works of art. Amazing film-making. Kubrick was so dedicated to his craft some of the exterior shots of the same scene were filmed in different countries to the exterior (Germany, Scotland, Ireland, England, France). I can only imagine the meticulous planing that it takes to make a project this big a success.

People complain about the length, but it's not an issue because the pacing is done so well. Each little adventure that Barry is interesting / quaint / naughty / destructive / tragic etc.

I take issue with some of the accents, and there are perhaps a couple of segments that weren't up to the rest, but it's classic Kubrick.

'Barry Lyndon' (1975)

Sweet, sweet visuals. Probably the best looking Kubrick film, rivaled only by '2001'. The use of natural light in this film when melded with the locations is pretty amazing. The interior shots especially, as countless others have said - many of them could be priceless works of art. Amazing film-making. Kubrick was so dedicated to his craft some of the exterior shots of the same scene were filmed in different countries to the exterior (Germany, Scotland, Ireland, England, France). I can only imagine the meticulous planing that it takes to make a project this big a success.

People complain about the length, but it's not an issue because the pacing is done so well. Each little adventure that Barry is interesting / quaint / naughty / destructive / tragic etc.

I take issue with some of the accents, and there are perhaps a couple of segments that weren't up to the rest, but it's classic Kubrick.

I love period movies and I love Kubrick, so WHY have I not gotten around to this yet?! well, someday.

'Ms. Purple' (2019)

Saw this last night completely blind, knew nothing about it. What a great surprise. Really loved it - it might get comparisons with The Farewell, as they have similar themes - and I dare say this is the better of the two. The photography was excellent (shades of Wong Kar Wai in some of the lighting and post effects) and superbly directed too. The film focuses on a struggling Korean family in modern day America. The two leads are superb (especially Tiffany Chu, as they develop their brother sister relationship under the stress of an unwell parent.

I didn't realise it was directed by Justin Chon until after I watched it - so it's no surprise I liked it as much as I did, as I really enjoyed his 2017 film 'Gook'.

A very well done film.

Unregistered User
Werckmeister Harmonies and Barry Lyndon are both masterpieces. I'm not a huge fan of period pieces but I am a huge fan of Kubrick. Was that your first time seeing both? I really should watch more from Tarr.

Werckmeister Harmonies and Barry Lyndon are both masterpieces. I'm not a huge fan of period pieces but I am a huge fan of Kubrick. Was that your first time seeing both? I really should watch more from Tarr.
Yes, both first timers.I am finding Tarr's movies quite hard to come by. I want to watch Santantango but the running time mans it will probably spoil the viewing experience.

Unregistered User
Yes, both first timers.I am finding Tarr's movies quite hard to come by. I want to watch Santantango but the running time mans it will probably spoil the viewing experience.

Know what you mean. Not watched Santantango either and I'll not have the time to watch it all for a while. I think you'll enjoy The Turin Horse though, I assume you'll go for that one next?

The Turin's Horse is, in my opinion, the greatest artistic visual film ever made in the 21 century, I can't say how many times I've seen the entry scene. I've seen Sátántangó, don't plan on doing it again in the near future.

Know what you mean. Not watched Santantango either and I'll not have the time to watch it all for a while. I think you'll enjoy The Turin Horse though, I assume you'll go for that one next?
Either that or the man from London yeah.

'Out of the past' (1947)

Dir.: Jaques Tourneur

So that's why some say this is THE definitive noir then. What a stunning film. It has everything....femme fatale, cigarettes galore, tense music, narration, scene fades and a great plot. The script is sharp and witty, and Mitchum owns the screen while delivering his lines. There is one particular scene where Jeff (Mitchum) is narrating over a shot of a steamboat, then it fades to him actually narrating in shot, so is semi breaking the fourth wall as Kathie sits next to him oblivious. It's a brilliant bit of directing. Jane Greer is beautiful too, and that ending - woah that ending.

A truly great movie.

'Daisies' (1966)

Czech new wave feminist anarchy directed by Věra Chytilová. Experimental feel to it and made me chuckle a few times. The scenes go from black and white to over saturated colour, and there are cut shots to bizarre sequences and some ho,age to silent cinema. There's a fantastic scene were the music is in time to the noise of a typewriter being typed.

This film was banned in the Czechoslovakia for "food wastage" among other things. Which is ironic, given the films last message which reads "This film is dedicated to those offended by a trampled on trifle". That is the point though - to mock the state of that part of Europe at the time and to encourage females to rise up against oppressive male dominated culture.

I appreciate this film's message and authenticity, but it was a bit too off the wall for my tastes.

'The Irishman' (2019)

Vintage Scorsese. Tracking shots, great script, classic mob hits and everything else. There were a few scenes around the 2 hour mark that I felt didn't match up to the rest of the film's pacing, but other than that it was an absolute tour de force. Pacino was the stand out - snarling and hissing his way through his best performance in years. Terrific stuff.

Unregistered User
'Out of the past' (1947)

Dir.: Jaques Tourneur

So that's why some say this is THE definitive noir then. What a stunning film. It has everything....femme fatale, cigarettes galore, tense music, narration, scene fades and a great plot. The script is sharp and witty, and Mitchum owns the screen while delivering his lines. There is one particular scene where Jeff (Mitchum) is narrating over a shot of a steamboat, then it fades to him actually narrating in shot, so is semi breaking the fourth wall as Kathie sits next to him oblivious. It's a brilliant bit of directing. Jane Greer is beautiful too, and that ending - woah that ending.

A truly great movie.

One of my favourite noir. Tourneur has such a great filmography, Cat People, Night of the Demon, Wichita, The Leopard Man, this and my personal favourite, I Walked With A Zombie.
Glad you enjoyed this so much

One of my favourite noir. Tourneur has such a great filmography, Cat People, Night of the Demon, Wichita, The Leopard Man, this and my personal favourite, I Walked With A Zombie.
Glad you enjoyed this so much
Looks like I've got a few additions to my watchlist!