Who Likes Westerns?

Tools    

I'm a Western fan, I wouldn't say I'm a die hard one though. My favorites are definitely The Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Both made in the same year and same genre but different in their own way.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Some of my favorites:

Rio Bravo (1959) by Howard Hawks

The Big Sky (1952) by Howard Hawks

Wagonmaster (1950) by John Ford

My Darling Clementine (1946) by John Ford

Johnny Guitar (1954) by Nicholas Ray

Stagecoach (1939) by John Ford

1.The Outlaw Josey Wales
2.The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
3.The Magnificent Seven
4.Once Upon a Time in the West
5.For a Few Dollars More
6.Silverado
7.El Dorado
8.True Grit (2010)
9.The Searchers
10.The Wild Bunch

Like Sci-Fi Slob, I'm a huge Western fan. Here's a list of some the best Westerns I've seen, and if you've not seen any from this list and are interested, I'll say that they are all at least worth a watch, and some are great. Just up to you to pick and choose and see what you're interested in. www.imdb.com is a good place to see what the rating on these movies are.
Still love Open Range; agree with seanc that Lonesome Dove is a great Western and I'll say that Duvall's performance as Gus is probably the best portrayal of a cowboy I've ever seen; The Quick and the Dead (1995); Rio Bravo; Unforgiven; The Unforgiven; Young Guns; The Long Riders; The Naked Spur; Winchester '73; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Pale Rider; High Plains Drifter; Fort Apache; Ride the High Country; True Grit (original); The Shootist; Shenandoah; The Man From Laramie; Broken Arrow (1950); Tom Horn; Jeremiah Johnson; Shane; Tombstone; The Big Country; How the West Was Won; The Bravados; The Gunfighter; The Man From Snowy River; The War Wagon; Along the Great Divide; Big Jake.

EDIT: totally forgot Stagecoach, another classic Western. Thanks to bluedeed for the reminder. Another John Wayne Western that I enjoy is Angel and the Badman, where the Duke is a somewhat reformed outlaw, stalked by bad guys and a lawman, and tempted by the love a Quaker woman, played by the beautiful Gail Russell. Here's a pic of her, just to tempt those of you who like pretty women in their Westerns:

What do people around here think of Ron Howard's The Missing?

Mandwa, I really liked The Missing. I haven't seen it in a while so I suppose that's why I didn't include it, but it's a very worthy Western. Plus, with Cate Blanchett and Tommy Lee Jones, you can't go wrong.

I feel guilty for leaving off Hombre (1967), one of my favorite movies, as well as Westerns, starring Paul Newman. It's more of a character study but there is action. The dialogue is great and Newman is playing another one of his 60's anti-heroes. I'd love to quote some of the dialogue but it would spoil some humorous moments. Oh well, it's highly recommended.

EDIT: Another John Wayne Western that is enjoyable is Cahill U.S. Marshal. It's a mildly diverting movie, but with the addition of Neville Brand and George Kennedy, who are super in the movie, it is elevated above the norm. Brand in particular is great and gets lots of laughs as Wayne's ever-complaining sidekick. There are several other very good Wayne Westerns, but I'd fill the page if I kept on.