Are You A Psychopath?

Tools    

Based on the actual questions and scoring method on this test you shouldn't be.

Why would a person be glad if they're "not very persuasive" or "unable to make quick decisions"?

That'd be like being "glad I'm not a vegetarian" just because Hitler was one also.

Basically from what I heard in Martha Stout's audiobook - a lot of psychopaths have less anxiety than many people, so they'd be more willing to do "risky" things (like "gasp" riding rollercoasters, or working in a "dangerous job") - which might scare some people off.

But liking rollercoasters or sports cars on it's own wouldn't indicate a psychopath (that's "guilt by association") - that's why the test is majorly flawed - since only 5 of the questions deal with traits which are psychopathic in and of their own.
I didn't say I was glad I scored so low, I said I was glad I wasn't the only one who did. I might not be very persuasive, but at least I'm not dumber than a sack of hammers.

I got 3%. I'm glad I'm not the only person here under 10%.
I'm quite proud of my test results Even though I admit some of the questions were not revealing and should not have been on the test.

The "persuasive" question is another flawed one. That would mean that any politician, anyone who works in sales or marketing, any motivational speaker, religious leader, foreign ambassador, lawyer, entrepreneur, sports coach, professor, personal trainer, charity fundraiser, etc etc etc is a psychopath...
Mostly politicians and leaders do have psychopathic tendencies. It's called the cult of personality. Probably more accurate to say they are ego centric-narcissistic.

You are wrong in saying this question is flawed: "I'm very persuasive and getting people to do what I want is a real talent of mine."

If one reads between it carefully and answers the question literately. One can see it's describing a certain type of individual who takes pleasure at manipulating people and is actually proud of that skill. A common trait of a psychopath.

(I am NOT suggesting anyone here is a psychopath)

I'm quite proud of my test results Even though I admit some of the questions were not revealing and should not have been on the test.

Mostly politicians and leaders do have psychopathic tendencies. It's called the cult of personality. Probably more accurate to say they are ego centric-narcissistic.

You are wrong in saying this question is flawed: "I'm very persuasive and getting people to do what I want is a real talent of mine."

If one reads between it carefully and answers the question literately. One can see it's describing a certain type of individual who takes pleasure at manipulating people and is actually proud of that skill. A common trait of a psychopath.

(I am NOT suggesting anyone here is a psychopath)
Again that's a "guilt by association fallacy". Persuasiveness by itself is not a psychopathic trait, and it's necessary in many professions and areas of life. If it's used to manipulate people for evil gain then it becomes psychopathic.

A person hosting a TV pledge drive for hurricane victims is going to have a hard time persuading viewers to make donations if they're not persuasive; a high school teacher is going to have a hard time controlling a room full of rowdy kids if they're not persuasive. A drill instructor is going to have a hard time training new army enlistees; etc - the list goes on.

You're confusing "manipulating" with motivating. Much like a knife is only a "weapon" if used to stab someone (as opposed to cutting a steak); persuasiveness is only "psychopathic" if used to con or exploit someone (as opposed to motivating an employee to improve their performance, or motivating a distracted child to do their homework).

And claiming that every politician tries to create a "cult of personality" is really just an ignorant stereotype. You could say the same about anyone who is "famous" or has "fans or supporters". I guess George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are psychopaths then. I guess the local mayor of a rural town of 300 people is too.

---

The only 5 traits which are psychopathic in and of themselves are the other 5 you mentioned. If a person takes this test and disagrees with all 5, but agrees to all of the others, they would never have any reason to be clinically diagnosed as psychopathic - yet on this internet test they could still score over 50%.

This is why the test is flawed.

"Hitler was a vegetarian - Hitler was pure evil. Therefore vegetarianism is evil"

On the test in the link I got 42%.

On a more realistic test based on Robert Hare's checklist compared to the one in the link - I got 11 points, to head towards sociopathy/psychopathy you need to get 30 or more points basically. But then even this guy's checklist has its critics.

Both a waste of time for me though.

39%

Though your conscience is in the right place you also have a pragmatic streak and generally aren’t afraid to do your own dirty work! You’re no shrinking violet - but no daredevil either. You generally have little trouble seeing things from another person’s perspective but, at the same time, are no pushover. ‘Everything in moderation – including moderation’ might sum up your approach to life.

I scored a 32 or a 36, I already forgot. I came here to post it and had to answer a PM.

So nobody's pushing 100% yet ?
Just tried to get 100% and i got 91%. Here is the comment:

You can play hardball with the best of them! You know what you want and are not afraid to go for it – even if it means bending the rules occasionally and putting a few noses out of joint on the way. Nothing fazes you. You are decisive, self-confident and pretty much up for anything. You are a ‘means-to-an-end’ person. For you, it’s not necessarily a matter of right or wrong, but of what gets the job done. ‘Bring it on’ is your mantra, but to help those around you keep their heads, you should learn some tricks to help you temper your self-satisfying tendencies...

Just tried to get 100% and i got 91%. Here is the comment:

You can play hardball with the best of them! You know what you want and are not afraid to go for it – even if it means bending the rules occasionally and putting a few noses out of joint on the way. Nothing fazes you. You are decisive, self-confident and pretty much up for anything. You are a ‘means-to-an-end’ person. For you, it’s not necessarily a matter of right or wrong, but of what gets the job done. ‘Bring it on’ is your mantra, but to help those around you keep their heads, you should learn some tricks to help you temper your self-satisfying tendencies...
I love the roundabout way of downplaying that the subject is a complete psychopath.

36%

Though your conscience is in the right place you also have a pragmatic streak and generally aren’t afraid to do your own dirty work! You’re no shrinking violet - but no daredevil either. You generally have little trouble seeing things from another person’s perspective but, at the same time, are no pushover. ‘Everything in moderation – including moderation’ might sum up your approach to life.

36%

Same as me

I'm 3% more psycho than you though and i'm not quite sure whether i should be proud of that or not.

Just got 100% purposefully and it says the same thing.
Liar. Nah, seriously what did you answer then? The bit at the end with the gender, age, occupation, income, etc clearly plays a part in the score because i checked it and it definitely alters it. So what did you put for occupation, etc?

30%

You are warm and empathic with a heightened awareness of social responsibility and a strong sense of conscience. You like to carefully weigh up the pros and cons of a situation before you act and are generally averse to taking risks. You are very much a ‘people person’ and dislike conflict. ‘Do unto others…’ are your watchwords. But, although you avoid hurting others, those residing at the higher end of the psychopathic spectrum might not be as considerate, so stay vigilant to avoid being hurt unnecessarily.

I think this test is ****.