Are You A Psychopath?

Tools    

Standard reminder that online tests (IQ, personality, whatever) are total crap.
^ Especially when it's from Britain's Channel 4... who had a silly 'psychopath night' on television here a while back that this test is connected to.

33% I'm very not Anthony Perkins
Norman Bates wasn't even a psychopath in the first place if that's what you meant.

^ Especially when it's from Britain's Channel 4... who had a silly 'psychopath night' on television here a while back that this test is connected to.
Was it? For some reason that makes me slight proud that I didn't do it. How strange.

Norman Bates wasn't even a psychopath in the first place if that's what you meant.
Quite right. Norman was not a psychopath.

Lots of people murder people without being psychopaths. It's a clinical term. They're not even close. Psychopaths don't have to murder anyone, either. Being one doesn't mean you're going to commit a crime, let alone murder someone.

Lots of people murder people without being psychopaths. It's a clinical term. They're not even close. Psychopaths don't have to murder anyone, either. Being one doesn't mean you're going to commit a crime, let alone murder someone.
I know what you're talking about but it just seems to me that a murderer like Norman Bates would be considered a psychopath. I mean, he kills people. He may not be the most gentle of psychopaths/sociopaths, but it just seems like you should be included if you constantly murder random people.

But you know that's not what determines what a psychopath is. Psychopath used like that is as generic and unhelpful as madman, lunatic or maniac. As a colloquialism it's fine, but after that it stops being helpful and, if anything, becomes a hinderence.

Besides, Norman wasn't killing random people. He killed women who sexually excited him and anone else who came after him due to that action.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
What would you call Norman, then?
Psychotic in some fashion if I remember the movie correctly.

What would you call Norman, then?
In a Psych 101 manner, I'd go with psychotic. Maybe a borderline psychotic? I don't know, but I'd say his seperate personalities and delusions, that'd be my, barely educated, guess. But he's not psychopathic.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Psychotic, psychopathic, big deal!
They're very different. As honeykid said psychosis involves delusions or disassociation from reality whereas a psychopath lacks a conscience and empathy and can be dangerous. Norman Bates isn't a psychopath, but he is psycho!!! (I couldn't resist!) Psychotic that is.

But they're not. That's the issue. A psychopath is very level headed and perfectly sane.
True. They can be. They can even hide amongst us.

Here's some info:

Profile of the Sociopath

But they're not. That's the issue. A psychopath is very level headed and perfectly sane.
But the thing is, is he actually sane or does he think he's sane?

Either way, it reminds me of this quote by Dali:

"There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad."