Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Divine Move 2: The Wrathful (Lee Khan, 2019)
A sequel to the 2014 Korean film about a Go player's quest for revenge has a new story about a young boy who lost it all when his father bet everything in a game of Go. After years of training, the boy grows up to seek revenge against those who wronged him but a mysterious wanderer also appears in his own mission of vengeance. Pretty good film that combines action and game playing with a tinge of comedy like its original. Some small flaws here and there but overall a pretty good sequel.

Undercover Brother 2 (Leslie Small, 2019)
No one asked for this sequel...and it was not needed. Sad because I've always liked Michael Jai White. However, he only appears mainly in the opening and end action sequences. The rest of the film has him occasionally appearing in a Obi-Wan state to the character of Lionel, played by Vince Swann. Swann tries to make to work but the script is just terrible. Stick with Black Dynamite and the original Undercover Brother instead. This one is "Not Solid".

Redeemer (2014)

A martial arts film from Chile. Amateurish and childish (kinda a mix of John Wick, Netflix's Marvel series and some rip-off jokes from Kick-Ass that didn't fit at all). Pretty much the only good thing in the film is Marko Zaror who does quite a decent job in the fight scenes but sadly can't save them from terrible choreography.

--

Pale Rider (1985)

Somehow these Eastwood westerns feel like pale imitations of Leone. They lack the atmosphere of good spaghetti and are way too much about Clint putting himself on a pedestal. Again, it's not bad but extremely mediocre. Also isn't that beginning sequence really a rip-off of Conan the Barbarian?

The Vault (2017)

Quite crappy 13-in-a-dozen horror. Why even try to go for a twist when it's so predictable? Initial setting is fine but the film goes awry quite soon. And the last scene is totally pointless. I'm feeling generous so...

The King (2019)

Chalamet is an absolute star.

I'm interested to see if he can top Alec Newman as Paul Atreides . Funny with Newman as I later saw him being typecast as a super being in Star Trek: Enterprise, there playing a baddie of the same ilk as Khan.

Undercover Brother 2 (Leslie Small, 2019)
No one asked for this sequel...and it was not needed. Sad because I've always liked Michael Jai White. However, he only appears mainly in the opening and end action sequences. The rest of the film has him occasionally appearing in a Obi-Wan state to the character of Lionel, played by Vince Swann. Swann tries to make to work but the script is just terrible. Stick with Black Dynamite and the original Undercover Brother instead. This one is "Not Solid".
Never knew this existed, even though I watched the original like twenty times

LOVED this movie. Richard Gere so very good in this & lots of amusing cameos in the movie.

Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)

My favorite movie style is classic noir, and this is a good one. In fact the story could have been written by Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett.

Set in
L.A. of the late 1940s, a black man (Denzel) is hired to spot a white woman (Jennifer Beals) who frequents nightclubs in the black community. She is also the fiancee of a mayoral candidate, which leads to plenty of intrigue, crime, interaction with crooked cops and just plain crooks.

There are excellent supporting performances by Tom Sizemore, and also Don Cheadle.

A must-see for noir fans.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Marshland (2014)

A Spanish crime thriller set in 1980. Two cops from Madrid are sent to rural south to investigate the disappearance of two teenage girls. There are political undertones but the film doesn't overdo them (e.g. the cops are fully capable of working together despite the other having a past in Franco's Armed Police). It's a very beautifully shot film (especially the aerial shots are magnificent). Good script, great acting and technically solid. Very good "Spanish Noir".

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Mr. Skeffington (Vincent Sherman, 1944)
+ 6/10
1 World 100 Lonely (Brian McGuire, 2015)
- 5/10
Deception (Irving Rapper, 1946)
6/10
Empire of Dreams: The Story of the 'Star Wars' Trilogy (Edith Becker & Kevin Burns, 2004)
+ 7.5/10

Billy Redden, the Banjo Boy from Deliverance
Keepers of the Game (Judd Ehrlich, 2016)
6.5/10
The Lash (Frank Lloyd, 1930)
+ 5/10
The Dive (Yona Rozenkier, 2018)
6/10
Hillbilly (Sally Rubin & Ashley York, 2018)
7/10

Billy Redden, the Banjo Boy from Deliverance, is part of this broad examination of life in Appalachia.
Where'd You Go, Bernadette (Richard Linklater, 2019)
+ 6.5/10
Jarhead: Law of Return (Don Michael Paul, 2019)
6/10
Men of Chance (George Archainbaud, 1931)
+ 5/10
Mole Man (Guy Fiorita, 2017)
7/10

Autistic Ron is an awesome builder, explorer and collector, but he can't take care of himself and still lives at home with his 90-year-old mom.
The Knight Before Christmas (Monika Mitchell, 2019)
6/10
Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator (Eva Orner, 2019)
6.5/10
The Goldfinch (John Crowley, 2019)
5.5/10
One Child Nation (Nanfu Wang & Zhang Lynn, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

We know it was the policy of Communist China but did we know it was this far-reaching and corrupt?
To Be of Service (Josh Aronson, 2019)
+ 6/10
The 24 Hour War (Nate Adams & Adam Corolla, 2016)
6.5/10
Brother AKA Bro (Julien Abraham, 2018)
+ 6/10
Long Day's Journey into Night (Bi Gan, 2018)
+5/10

Beautiful-looking film where Jue Huang recalls his romance with Mystery Woman Wei Tang

Marshland (2014)

A Spanish crime thriller set in 1980. Two cops from Madrid are sent to rural south to investigate the disappearance of two teenage girls. There are political undertones but the film doesn't overdo them (e.g. the cops are fully capable of working together despite the other having a past in Franco's Armed Police). It's a very beautifully shot film (especially the aerial shots are magnificent). Good script, great acting and technically solid. Very good "Spanish Noir".

I very much enjoyed that. It's like Spanish True Detective.

Doctor Sleep is a good movie horribly botched you see how the twins are scary from the Shining but Doctor Sleep's twins are just these weird photogenic replacements. The movie is 2 and a half hours long..so three hours with trailers and ad's and it just has no horror or suspense. The film just jumps from one plot point to the other telling these three big stories and paying homage to The Shining. I'm sure King loved it but I found it frustrating and annoying.

Tombstone (1993)

I remembered liking this and wanted to rewatch it for the coming western countdown. I don't know what's happened between these viewings but now the writing felt corny, acting stiff and I hated the action montages. Doc Holliday was still great though and so were the mustaches.

Best scene: