Computer Repair n Tips

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
@Tacitus ... On the new computer, I'd like to install GeForce Experience on the hard drive (E: ) and not on the small SSD (C: ). But along the way, the installation never asks me where I want to put it. Any way to change the default location of this installation? I right-clicked the .exe file, hoping for more options, but nothing's giving me control over where to install it.
Why do you want to install it there? I'd have thought it's a lot better on your C drive alongside your GPU driver.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Why do you want to install it there? I'd have thought it's a lot better on your C drive alongside your GPU driver.
Well, that's where it is by default. But this computer, for some reason, came with a 128GB SSD drive that has Windows on it already and a few things that simply refuse to go anywhere else. GeForce Experience is one of those things.

The SSD drive kept getting dangerously full (kept getting warnings about it), so I had to start moving things off or around. Started with my Outlook files, which was a major pain, and then just shut down OneDrive, which had metastasized beyond belief just because it's naturally invasive.

Anyway, was just wondering why I wasn't given an option to put it elsewhere.

I have about 30GB free on the SSD now so the warnings are gone and I'll just let GFE reside where it wants. The computer forensics pal has offered to walk me through migrating Windows, etc., to a 1TB SSD to eliminate this issue going forward.

The 3TB HDD is for absolutely everything else.

Well, that's where it is by default. But this computer, for some reason, came with a 128GB SSD drive that has Windows on it already and a few things that simply refuse to go anywhere else. GeForce Experience is one of those things.

The SSD drive kept getting dangerously full (kept getting warnings about it), so I had to start moving things off or around. Started with my Outlook files, which was a major pain, and then just shut down OneDrive, which had metastasized beyond belief just because it's naturally invasive.

Anyway, was just wondering why I wasn't given an option to put it elsewhere.

I have about 30GB free on the SSD now so the warnings are gone and I'll just let GFE reside where it wants. The computer forensics pal has offered to walk me through migrating Windows, etc., to a 1TB SSD to eliminate this issue going forward.

The 3TB HDD is for absolutely everything else.
Ok, so it's a space issue.

Installing a new C drive can be a bit of a pain but not a huge one these days. I've got a 256GB SSD as my C and it's just about big enough that I don't have to worry about deleting and moving things.

Then I have a 500GB SSD and 6TB of mechanical storage.

Arrrgh. I've tried swapping out two different power supplies in this new computer, since it came with only a 290W one (though I've had exactly ZERO performance issues with this new computer at ALL on any level in the week I've had it).

Both were 500W PS, with on/off switches on the back. And both, when connected with the same cable connectors connected as with the original PS, did NOTHING when I tried to turn them on. Nada. Will have hubby help me use the self-tester later to see if there's an issue, but now I have a feeling I'm just missing something obvious when I try to hook it up. When I hook up the original 290W PS again, all is well.

What am I missing?

P.S. A computer forensics expert and friend recommends that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, leaving the 290W PS there since it's doing just fine even with Steam gaming. Thoughts (and not just gamers-upgrade-everything thoughts). I had high hopes to not involve the engineer husband in this setup! Oops!
It seems really unlikely it's just busted. I have a little thingy that gives me codes to tell me what's wrong with the boot-up process you can use if need be, but I'd just recommend literally looking through the power supply's manual. I had issues with my work computer recently, before someone pointed out that it just needed a second connector attached to the motherboard (which was different than the last one I had).

The Adventure Starts Here!
It seems really unlikely it's just busted. I have a little thingy that gives me codes to tell me what's wrong with the boot-up process you can use if need be, but I'd just recommend literally looking through the power supply's manual. I had issues with my work computer recently, before someone pointed out that it just needed a second connector attached to the motherboard (which was different than the last one I had).
The PS came with a tester, so I'm going to go through that process today. I really don't want to rely on this original 290W PS if I can upgrade it to 500W.

I seem to have connected the same things that were connected to the 290W PS so I tend to think it's some other issue. Might be time to get the family engineer involved after all. Oh well!

They definitely vary in their setup, I learned that the hard way. Dunno if that's more likely with a more powerful one, but that makes intuitive sense to me. One of those things where I'll definitely just plug things in where they usually go, but if that doesn't work, the manual probably is worth browsing.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Need Help!

Going to get a PC. It's really just for study....initially...but I want to have room to upgrade. I've found a reputable customisation site - you put the order in, they complete it (at an expense). This is convenience for me and most of the branded computers I've seen pale in comparison. I have a decision regarding the case - I can get a micro case or a mid tower. Mid tower is 25 dollars more expensive. Do you think, given I want to upgrade in the 'distant' future it will pay to have more room or generally it won't matter?

Would really appreciate advice here. Thank you guys. )))

Mid tower (which is what I have) will give you a bit more space if you want to add extra hard drives later on, plus there should be better ventilation. You'll also not be constricted in the size of graphics cards you can have - although you'll need to check the specific case to see how much room it gives you.

Those tiny cases sure do look good, though. I'd love to take a crack at building a system in one some day.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Did you ever pull the trigger? I'd agree the larger format would allow more breathing room (for expansion and literal air flow!). My only other concern would be motherboard size and making sure the one with the specs you want fits.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Not sure where else to post this, but I had to brag on my new baby a lil bit somewhere!

I got my laptop in last Thursday and I'm excited. HP zBook. I struggled with this for the better part of two years, researching brands and options. I've always wanted a Wacom tablet or display, but their Mobile Studio Pro was kind of silly, IMO. The Microsoft Surface Pro 4 had won my attention but I chose to hold out for a v5 release hoping for slightly improved specs, more customization for illustrators and finally a few additional ports. The latest 'pro' release didn't really meet any of that so I began again my quest for the perfect mobile workstation.

I looked at the Dell XPS convertibles for a long while after and nearly bought one, but 1) the screen felt very slick with the gloss finish to control the stylus and 2) being a convertible, the keyboard folds back and out of the way. While that might be cool looking, the more I thought about it the less practical that option became. I mean, if folded back the keys would literally rest key-down on my lap. That alone seems dangerous for snagging a key or three at some point moving the tablet around when drawing. The other issue is that I use a lot of shortcut keys in Photoshop. If the keyboard was flipped and technically under my tablet, that would be completely useless without adding a second Bluetooth keyboard. UGH.

I found the zBook by mistake actually. There were some great reviews on YouTube (all of the three reviews ever made it seemed) and last March (2018) was a GREAT time to buy in that prices were being slashed. I missed that window, but found a Facebook ad from BHPhoto a month or so back that had much lower prices than what HP listed. I pulled the trigger without a test drive, and that is unheard of for me.

So I've been sitting on pins and needles since March 15th waiting as my order got postponed later and later due to backorder status from the manufacturer. I figured the price was too good to be true and was a misprint. That eventually, they would contact me to let me know they screwed up or something and I'd not be getting the specs I ordered, or that I would have to settle for an earlier release or even a refurb model. I contacted their shipping department after my order was delayed a third time to April 1. With a day or two of email traffic they finally found another seller and repurchased my order through them. Once received, everything appeared to be in order.

When it came in, a coworker joked saying I would come in the next day exhausted from being up all night playing with the new laptop. I told them yeah, I planned to buy a nice bottle of wine, get a li.... well. nevermind. It was funny when I said it, but as I type and read it just makes me look weird, to say the least. I'm enjoying drawing on it. Still have a few apps to install before it becomes my default PC but so far so good.

I've noticed the clock on my computer has been an hour fast all day - and it's frustrating because it has indeed thrown me off as to the time - is this an April Fools Day joke?

It was accurate yesterday and had reset in accordance with daylight saving's time last month.

I've noticed the clock on my computer has been an hour fast all day - and it's frustrating because it has indeed thrown me off as to the time - is this an April Fools Day joke?

It was accurate yesterday and had reset in accordance with daylight saving's time last month.
Ya know, lost time is sometimes a clue to alien abduction. I'm not saying you were abducted. I'm ...just sayin'.

I want a new keyboard for my desktop computer for Christmas...But I don't know what it's called. I need a full sized key board but without the numbers on the right side. Like this sort of...

I wish I could use a hacksaw and cut those number keys off the right side, as I've never used them in 20 years.

I can't use a compact keyboard as my hands are too big for easy typing. So, do they make anything like that? What would it be called? A link or two would be nice.

A TKL keyboard is what you want. TKL stands for 'tenkeyless' and denotes no numberpad. Google should bring you plenty results.

Link to 2020 5 best TKL article
(other articles and keyboards will exist - this should in no way be construed as an endorsement of either the given article or any keyboards therein contained)

A TKL keyboard is what you want. TKL stands for 'tenkeyless' and denotes no numberpad. Google should bring you plenty results.

Link to 2020 5 best TKL article
(other articles and keyboards will exist - this should in no way be construed as an endorsement of either the given article or any keyboards therein contained)
Thank you! I've searched and searched but without knowing what to search for I found everything but what I wanted! Now I hope Santa is reading MoFo

So now that I know what the keyboard is called, how do I decide which one I want??? Any suggestions on this? I don't game and I don't have a lot of money to spend.

Are the mechanical keyboards more noisy than a standard keyboard?

I've got a Coolermaster Quickfire TK with Brown mechanical switches - the brown switches aren't clicky and have a little 'bump' when you press them when you'd expect a click. I prefer them to the more linear actions of Red and Black switches. The keyboard is Tenkeyless in size but at the press of a button you can switch the right hand bank between a number pad or arrow keys.

If you're on a budget, there are a lot of tenkeyless mechanical keyboards (not many with normal switches) on sites like Amazon for not a lot of money. The keys themselves won't be the Cherry brand that the expensive keyboards use but these days they're almost all perfectly fine - Cherry's patent on its design expired a few years ago so other companies can now make copies for a lot less money.

The only real downside to these keyboards is that they're often in pretty garish RGB backlight designs. You can switch the lights off though

I've got a Coolermaster Quickfire TK with Brown mechanical switches - the brown switches aren't clicky and have a little 'bump' when you press them when you'd expect a click. I prefer them to the more linear actions of Red and Black switches. The keyboard is Tenkeyless in size but at the press of a button you can switch the right hand bank between a number pad or arrow keys.
Can you tell me more about the switches? I've come across that term and didn't know what the heck that meant until I read your post.

When you say the more linear actions of Red and Black switches what does that linear mean? Smoother?