WandaVision

Tools    

Back in the 80's I bought most mini-series that spun off of any maxi-series I followed... and since I followed the Avengers I bought the Vision & Scarlet Witch mini-series (both of them). The first series was 4 issues (1982) and the second series was 12 issues (1985).

I have to say I didn't care for either of these series.
I liked the characters within the Avengers, but didn't really like them on their own (that may have also had a lot to do with the writing, story lines and art work too).

This has nothing to do with the TV series... but it's nice to reminisce about the origins of things.

It's weird, I'm simultaneously not that interested in the WandaVision television homage stuff, but also really glad they did it/are able to take weird chances like that in something this highly budgeted and visible.

Back in the 80's I bought most mini-series that spun off of any maxi-series I followed... and since I followed the Avengers I bought the Vision & Scarlet Witch mini-series (both of them). The first series was 4 issues (1982) and the second series was 12 issues (1985).

I have to say I didn't care for either of these series.
I liked the characters within the Avengers, but didn't really like them on their own (that may have also had a lot to do with the writing, story lines and art work too).

This has nothing to do with the TV series... but it's nice to reminisce about the origins of things.

I think WandaVision is more inspired by the Vision series that came out a few years ago.

I think WandaVision is more inspired by the Vision series that came out a few years ago.
Yeah, the Vision himself had a least one mini-series dedicated to him that I remember. (He even had a secret identity of "Victor Shade" - wonder if that will be brought up for the TV series? I haven't seen it yet.)

The show is obviously not inspired by the original versions of the characters (except in the loosest way), but by the film versions - which deviate a good deal from their comic book counterparts.

And I haven't read any modern comics lately, but usually, after movies are released, the comics tend to follow suit with even more deviations.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Ew, really? They leave seven minutes of credits, put nothing in them, and then suddenly do?
Obviously if you add up the 7:04 runtime of each end-credit sequence for the number of shows to the season and then DIVIDE by the number of shows per season, you get the number that was Wanda, when added to the Avengers team. If you do the same, but also subtract those time stamps that actually DID include credit scenes, then that number would be lower and align withVision's enlistment # to the team. ...obviously. If you then take those two numbers and add them together, you get the number of characters used to spell "Wandavision" which, funny enough, is the same number of leading cast members within the Wanda bubble.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
Dang, I caught the mid-credit scene after the finale, but not the post... Will have to check it out later.

Love the show, btw...

Yeah, two for the last one.

I liked a lot of this, but man...they really did not confront the character with her misdeeds they way they should have. The fact that she was grieving was used to wallpaper over some really heinous acts there at the end. They had a chance to say some really meaningful and nuanced things about not just grief (which was the focus), but the way in which grief makes people hurt others.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, two for the last one.

I liked a lot of this, but man...they really did not confront the character with her misdeeds they way they should have. The fact that she was grieving was used to wallpaper over some really heinous acts there at the end. They had a chance to say some really meaningful and nuanced things about not just grief (which was the focus), but the way in which grief makes people hurt others.
Fair. Even though she is a favorite of mine in the MCU, I don't really know a ton about the character, but I get the idea they are sliding her into villain mode again. I mean, she is already there in many ways, clearly, which is I guess what you are referring to.

I dunno though, aside from Widow's "red in my ledger" speech, did they address her misdeeds any better? Or with her is it, "I defected, so everything is OK now?"

I had the opposite impression, I thought we were meant to really like her by the end, and to kind of forgive her for all she did because, hey, she was grieving! Maybe I misread that, though.

Widow's "red in my ledger" is good and clear, and I think the nuance of being a government operative is also more easily understood, since it's kind of a cliche. There's no real precedent for "kidnap and mentally torture an entire town of people" though. The scale of her offense, even out of grief, is pretty huge, to my mind.

I haven't finished the series so take my reply with a grain of salt! I think the comparison to Black Widow might also be unfair in that her background was referenced in an ensemble setting, and in passing I think in the context of where Widow was at that point in her unseen story, we can assume she has made amends or found some kind of peace with what she had done before we meet her as a character. I think it's safe to assume that she's probably already had to face and deal with those consequences. Still an assumption, I admit.

These issues with Scarlet Witch are happening in a dedicated story arc devoted to her, more or less. Black Widow's past didn't play out in front of us at all, where as this, the events around Scarlet Witch's break, are happening in real time before the audience. The writers opened that door. Seems fair to call it out or to at least question it.

I haven't seen the consequences or ramifications of her actions yet. Still only maybe halfway through. I would hope her guilt/grief is at least half as much as it is for Vision's loss. I mean she's jacking up a lot of people's grasp on reality I would guess! Trauma trauma trauma!

(don't hate me, switchblade guy)

Huh. I get obsessive over some MCU series I may never finish, yet can't be bothered to write a proper review for 98% of the actual movies I watch. Go figure.

You ready? You look ready.
I haven't watched a single minute of WandaVision and probably won't. What am I missing? Someone catch me up in 6 words or less.

"Maybe the dingo ate your baby"
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I haven't watched a single minute of WandaVision and probably won't. What am I missing? Someone catch me up in 6 words or less.
Takes chances, loves classic TV, quotable.

"Maybe the dingo ate your baby"
I haven't seen it either (and also probably won't)...
But here's all you need to know (in 6 words)...

Comic book movie characters go TV.