Internet Forum Culture

Tools    

15 years later and the foriisphere is dead. Killed by twitter. Or perhaps twitter liberated the forii denizens from overly officious forum moderators? Those jumped-up little hall monitors who went mad with power in their wee online fiefdoms.... and who then turned around 10 years later wondering where everyone went...

I still sign up to every forii that looks half interesting. This one has a spectacular layout. Opulent even.

I think forums have certainly lost some people to social media, but I also think those people were disproportionately people who were/are a bad fit for forum culture. As you say, maybe they don't like being moderated, so they all go to a place with little to no moderation and...well, the result that is Twitter speaks for itself, I guess.

Fair warning, we do moderate here. No idea if we qualify for fiefdom status. I probably have to fill out a form or something.

Thanks for the kind words, really glad you like the look of the place. Welcome.

15 years later and the foriisphere is dead. Killed by twitter. Or perhaps twitter liberated the forii denizens from overly officious forum moderators? Those jumped-up little hall monitors who went mad with power in their wee online fiefdoms.... and who then turned around 10 years later wondering where everyone went...

I still sign up to every forii that looks half interesting. This one has a spectacular layout. Opulent even.
Apologies in advance, but your Latin is strange. Fora (more academic) or forums is correct for the plural of forum. You’re welcome.

I beg your pardon. Correct Academic Latin Protocol dictates adding "i" as a suffix, the number of i's is only limited by one's affinity and enthusiasm with the given topic, ie, "foriiiiii". The "i" is parabolical to the comma and, as Chekhov wrote, "the comma's are the notes in the symphony (Chekhov)

In a similar vein, adding an "e" on the end of words instantly makes them classier, as if they are words from continental languages. ie, "classiere".

I am a classically-trained scholare.

I've been posting on forums since the dinosaur era of usenet. There were seemingly thousands of forums on every topic under the sun back then. I think the most bizarre one I came across was called "Karl Maldon's nose". Another one that fascinated me was a forum on Ayn Rand which consisted of two guys who wrote enormous tome-like posts to each other in what appeared to be an argument spanning years. I wasn't about to jump into that one, but the sheer volume that those two guys generated makes this place look like it started a few weeks ago.

One thing I've noticed is that each forum creates their own vocabulary and secret code words. One that I remember with great fondness before it became a no-holds barred political war was just musicians chatting about everything except music. One memorable thread involved a pie on a freeway exit ramp. This guy was so fascinated with how that pie got there that he took a picture of it. It sat there for weeks slowly deteriorating and since it was on this guy's way to work, he captured the evolution of the pie. It resulted in memes, gifs, photoshopping the pie using the last supper or replacing God on the cistine chapel, and even resulted in a few members taking the wife and kids on a day long pilgrimage so that they could pay homage to the pie themselves.

As for this forum, I'm new here. I got bored of just watching movies and sitting around the house in my pajamas because of this stupid virus, and thought of what my current hobby is. Well, it's movies and TV shows. So here I am. So far, it seems quite cordial, but I'm sure there are some real characters here.

Hey, welcome! Oh yeah, characters, to be sure. But you also want some of that. Some. It's a balancing act. So are the "secret code words" you mention, since that kind of shorthand speaks to potentially meaningful relationships and cliqueishness.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that forums are hard, but potentially very rewarding. Anyway, yeah, glad you're here. If you have any questions or issues just let me or one of the mods know.

So far, it seems quite cordial,
Tell me about it. The lack of insults here is almost creeping me out. I'm on some other forusiii where people just excoriate each other as if it'll have no effect on the poor b*****d whatsoever.

The absence of pottymouth here is kind of scaring me too.

I suspect i'll be banned before I notch a half century of posts.

Will hole out down at long-on I reckon, swinging for the boundary...

Apologies in advance, but your Latin is strange. Fora (more academic) or forums is correct for the plural of forum. You’re welcome.
Cut him some slack. He's got an impressive vocabulary for a rat.

The lack of insults here is almost creeping me out. I'm on some other forusiii where people just excoriate each other as if it'll have no effect on the poor b*****d whatsoever.
I will not be going back to Kateland, and I hope the kennel dogs there eventually devour themselves.

Good to see you, Sprague. A genius profanitarian, I attest, and, if the mods are willing, hopefully you can link your NSFW work, if not post it directly here. It's life-threatening work, but salvation always has a price.

I will not be going back to Kateland, and I hope the kennel dogs there eventually devour themselves.
haha, yeah, too many switchblades on that slowly deflating life-raft...

Tell me about it. The lack of insults here is almost creeping me out. I'm on some other forusiii where people just excoriate each other as if it'll have no effect on the poor b*****d whatsoever.

The absence of pottymouth here is kind of scaring me too.

I suspect i'll be banned before I notch a half century of posts.

Will hole out down at long-on I reckon, swinging for the boundary...
@Yoda, the owner of this site, doesn’t allow ad hominem attacks. (Yes, he actually uses this phrase.) Forums that are out-of-control are always the fault of the person at the top. Trickle-down deterioration, you might call it.

Posted the “rules” for you, if you’re interested.

https://www.movieforums.com/community/rules.php

Cut him some slack. He's got an impressive vocabulary for a rat.
He’s a rat?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I started on IMDB 20 years ago, and then accelerated after my return from my last international trip, probably knowing I had time to devote.

I hope they not only continue, but thrive. I did a search, of something like "proboards" (followed by someone or something) and many last posts were years old unfortunately.

It's a joke about his username. Sprague Dawley is a strain of domestic rats bred for laboratory use.
Got it.

if the mods are willing, hopefully you can link your NSFW work, if not post it directly here. It's life-threatening work, but salvation always has a price.
I don't want no trouble, mister.

Why bother with insults when the satisfaction of logical decimation feels so good?
If I had a clue what this means, I’m sure I would agree with you.

The Adventure Starts Here!
As I read through this thread... despite having been an English major and having been a proofreader for the past 30+ years, I'm glad I never actually took Latin in high school.