The Little Things (Denzel Washington)

Tools    

Trailer looks good, and the cast is definitely appealing...

Not buying Malek as a head cop. Dude still looks like he has that bond villain thing going on. Weird.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
WARNING: "The only thing I found interesting..." spoilers below
...was the dynamic between the Captain and Deacon. Do you think he really disliked him after what happened in the past or was it part of the cover-up?One of the little things done to help conceal Deacon’s crime.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Not buying Malek as a head cop. Dude still looks like he has that bond villain thing going on. Weird.
He’s really trying hard in this one.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Man, reviews have not been kind to this one. I'll still check it out though.

Suspect's Reviews

Just saw it. He was miscast imo. Haven't seen him in much, but I was not impressed.
I haven't watched the film yet. But Malek is a strange looking guy, especially the eyes, so he's going to be a tough fit in most "normal" roles. He would be better in weird or off beat roles, as in Mr. Robot.

I also believe he was miscast in Bohemian Rhapsody. He did the best he could, but he was wrong for the role. For one thing he's only 5' 7", whereas Mercury was I think 6' 1". I'm not a Sacha Cohen fan, but he would have been perfect for that role, but the deal fell through.

Meh, I'm hearing pretty lame things about this one. All the reviews seem to agree it's "dated," IE: a really formulaic serial killer film. I might watch anyway, just because I like the genre and (like every human being) I love Denzel.

I also believe he was miscast in Bohemian Rhapsody. He did the best he could, but he was wrong for the role. For one thing he's only 5' 7", whereas Mercury was I think 6' 1". I'm not a Sacha Cohen fan, but he would have been perfect for that role, but the deal fell through.
Oh jeez, this just gave me strong flashbacks to this little slice of MoFo history

I haven't watched the film yet. But Malek is a strange looking guy, especially the eyes, so he's going to be a tough fit in most "normal" roles. He would be better in weird or off beat roles, as in Mr. Robot.

Just watched The Little Things last night. I did enjoy it, not the least because there was no gratuitous gutter language, nor deviant sex (no sex at all), nor very little gore. But that means one can concentrate on the story, which as some have mentioned, is nothing particularly new.

I think every era has film plots that are similar for the reason that if a type of plot sells, then people will likely want to see more. The feeling of familiarity with the plot was not a deal buster for me though.

I think the writing was a little weak, especially toward the end when Detective Baxter approaches the suspect and agrees to accompany him to an alleged victim's grave site. It's not only completely certain that a policeman would never do that, but it also seemed to be a simplistic and ineffectual way to transition to the denouement.

As I suspected in my earlier post prior to seeing the movie, Rami Malek was either miscast, or his writing was weak. Malek would probably been more effective playing the serial killer!.. My first thought when Baxter was shown at home with the family was, "What's that gorgeous woman doing with that weird looking guy?"

The film isn't great, but it's certainly not bad either. It's entertaining, and has another nicely played role by D. Washington. Nice music, nice cinematography, that's about it. Worth a watch, but nothing special.

Doc's rating: 5/10

This was...kinda weird? I don't feel comfortable calling it bad or good, because Denzel's great, and there's a few genuinely good ideas in here, they're just not that well-executed or realized. And there are some...(not so little) things my wife and I saw coming a ways off. First half is very standard, second half is very not.

I read some reviews that said it felt "out-of-date," and having read that the first draft was in 1993, that's either good research or great insight. I also read that Denzel passed on Se7en and in a few ways this seems like his attempt to get that choice back.

I'd really like to have seen this done differently, because there's a fair bit of potential here. Regardless, still worth the time, if only because the ways it fails are kind of interesting in their own right.

, I guess? Maybe

“I was cured, all right!”
This was one of the films that could have been great, but it just doesn't work (for me, at least) - Some good scenes, like the suspense scenes of Denzel driving around.
for me.

Just saw it. He was miscast imo. Haven't seen him in much, but I was not impressed.
Thought the same thing. Malek is a fascinating actor but he comes across as a psychopath. Kind of like Walken or Timothy Carey. There are a couple scenes between he and his wife that are strange. She seems to suspect he's hiding something from her. But what? We never find out. Honestly, I kept expecting him to be involved in the murders somehow.

The biggest problem with the film is that it breaks the contract with the audience by having Malek turn stupid in the last act. I mean just shouting-at-the-screen-what-the-hell-are-you-doing stupid. Which is a total 180 from the sharp and savvy customer he had been up to that point. The movie can't possibly recover. Though it did hold me in its grip up to that point with its slow burn and good chemistry between Denzel and Malek.