The Return of Torgo and Wooley's September Excite-o-rama!

Tools    

I saw Krull again in the last ten years. The thing that surprised me the most was that the villains were clearly stormtroopers... and we're sci-fi and shooting lasers. I really didn't remember the lasers.

The main things that stick out in my memory are, of course, the widow of the web, the glaive, the cyclops, and the scene in the bog with the doppelganger thing. Mainly the eyes and the nails.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
No. I think it's another fortress type of thing. I'm also wondering if my brain actually split Legend into two movies in my memory, because in my head there's, "the movie with Tim Curry as basically the devil," and then there's, "the movie with the last unicorns and Tom Cruise and he screwed things up."

And movies I'm pretty sure I wasn't mentally grouping in there either:
Dragonslayer
The Dungeon Master

Though, they do fall under that rubric of 80s fantasy.

ETA: in starting to wonder if "the third movie" is actually a vague almagan in my head taking small parts from movies I do remember.

One movie from that era I'm pretty sure I haven't seen is The Last Unicorn.

Last Unicorn is great. The harpy is f#cking terrifying.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Victim of The Night
You need to. Everyone needs to.
It is on the list for later in the month, possibly this upcoming week, so y'all may wanna get ahead of that.

Lancelot du Lac (Lancelot of the Lake) -

I watched Excalibur for the first time this year and I found the sequence about Lancelot's struggle to remain faithful to both God and King Arthur despite his affair with Guinevere to have such compelling drama, I wish it were longer. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that this movie is all about this part of the legend. It's as much of a low point in Lancelot's time with the Knights of the Round Table as it is for the rest of them since it occurs after their disastrous attempt to attain the Holy Grail. While Lancelot copes with his existential crisis, Mordred plots to leverage the knights' sad state for his own gain.

If you've seen at least one Robert Bresson movie, you should know that this is more examination than celebration of the legendary knights. When the over-the-top fanfare that plays during the opening credits ends, the movie appropriately does away with a musical score. Instead of music, the dominant sounds are the clanging and shuffling of the knights' armor, which eventually has an ASMR effect. Besides proving with subtle comic grace that the knights wear it more than they should, it shows how they believe it gives them a free pass. It's no coincidence in scenes like the shocking one that kicks off the movie and the jousting tournament that whenever they commit violence, they put their face covers down as if doing so absolves them. Speaking of the tournament, Bresson wisely removes all traces of excitement from it, mostly via repetition. With each fanfare, hoisting of the competitors' flags, impacts of the lances, etc., the brutality and pride inherent to the event become more apparent. The highlights of Lancelot's reckoning are in his conversations with his equally disillusioned cohorts or his unanswered ones with God. The heart of this drama and the movie in general, though, is in his time spent with voice of reason Guinevere. If she made Lancelot realize, as she puts it, that "God is no trophy to bring home," things would have gone much differently. Conversely, Lancelot learns about the consequences of having divided loyalties the hard way, not to mention in a truly Bresson way that's free of cheap thrills and chills. In their place are grim reminders of the crimes against nature and humanity that result from betrayal and unchecked hubris.

This movie may sound like it's an anti-Excalibur, or better yet, one that mocks Arthurian legend lovers. I don’t find that to be the case; besides, Excalibur doesn't always put the Knights of the Round Table on a pedestal either. Instead, it shows that even a revered organization like this one isn't immune to the consequences of pride and corruption. They are forces that can bring even the strongest and most honorable members of a fellowship to their knees or make them easy prey to the Mordreds of the world. While I enjoyed the movie, its spare, deglamorized and detached vibe may not be for everyone. It could be called anti-fantasy, in other words. The fact that the legend attracted Bresson - who's now 3 for 3 in my book – makes it even more legit in my eyes, and besides, if alternative takes of the legend were not allowed, I doubt we’d still be talking about it.

My rating: 4 broken lances out of 5

My guy (or gal): Guinevere. The truth in every word she says and the eloquence in which she says them is music to my ears.

Victim of The Night
Not sure I like the film enough to watch it again in theaters, but I do like it a decent bit.
It's one of my top-2 Halloween films. Probably.

It's one of my top-2 Halloween films. Probably.
Not sure what other Halloween movies I've seen. There's Carpenter's Halloween, of course, which is terrific, but that's all I can name at the moment.

Victim of The Night

I watched Excalibur for the first time this year and I found the sequence about Lancelot's struggle to remain faithful to both God and King Arthur despite his affair with Guinevere to have such compelling drama, I wish it were longer. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that this movie is all about this part of the legend. It's as much of a low point in Lancelot's time with the Knights of the Round Table as it is for the rest of them since it occurs after their disastrous attempt to attain the Holy Grail. While Lancelot copes with his existential crisis, Mordred plots to leverage the knights' sad state for his own gain.

If you've seen at least one Robert Bresson movie, you should know that this is more examination than celebration of the legendary knights. When the over-the-top fanfare that plays during the opening credits ends, the movie appropriately does away with a musical score. Instead of music, the dominant sounds are the clanging and shuffling of the knights' armor, which eventually has an ASMR effect. Besides proving with subtle comic grace that the knights wear it more than they should, it shows how they believe it gives them a free pass. It's no coincidence in scenes like the shocking one that kicks off the movie and the jousting tournament that whenever they commit violence, they put their face covers down as if doing so absolves them. Speaking of the tournament, Bresson wisely removes all traces of excitement from it, mostly via repetition. With each fanfare, hoisting of the competitors' flags, impacts of the lances, etc., the brutality and pride inherent to the event become more apparent. The highlights of Lancelot's reckoning are in his conversations with his equally disillusioned cohorts or his unanswered ones with God. The heart of this drama and the movie in general, though, is in his time spent with voice of reason Guinevere. If she made Lancelot realize, as she puts it, that "God is no trophy to bring home," things would have gone much differently. Conversely, Lancelot learns about the consequences of having divided loyalties the hard way, not to mention in a truly Bresson way that's free of cheap thrills and chills. In their place are grim reminders of the crimes against nature and humanity that result from betrayal and unchecked hubris.

This movie may sound like it's an anti-Excalibur, or better yet, one that mocks Arthurian legend lovers. I don’t find that to be the case; besides, Excalibur doesn't always put the Knights of the Round Table on a pedestal either. Instead, it shows that even a revered organization like this one isn't immune to the consequences of pride and corruption. They are forces that can bring even the strongest and most honorable members of a fellowship to their knees or make them easy prey to the Mordreds of the world. While I enjoyed the movie, its spare, deglamorized and detached vibe may not be for everyone. It could be called anti-fantasy, in other words. The fact that the legend attracted Bresson - who's now 3 for 3 in my book – makes it even more legit in my eyes, and besides, if alternative takes of the legend were not allowed, I doubt we’d still be talking about it.

My rating: 4 broken lances out of 5

My guy (or gal): Guinevere. The truth in every word she says and the eloquence in which she says them is music to my ears.
This looks like it might be just my thing.
I grew up very into Arthurian Legend, in large part, believe it or not, because of Camelot, the 1967 musical (and in part because of Dungeons and Dragons).
And even as a kid, Guinevere was the one for me. She is played, in that film, as probably the smartest person in the room, by the excellent Vanessa Redgrave, and the sympathetic way that Richard Harris' Arthur feels for her even wallowing in the pain of her transgression with Franco Nero's Lanceleot.
I really feel like that particular part of Arthurian Legend is really the meat and everything else is just fun stories. But the knights and royalty as actual people is what makes it interesting.

And Nero is the perfect Lancelot to me in the same way that he is the perfect Space Jesus.

Victim of The Night
Not sure what other Halloween movies I've seen. There's Carpenter's Halloween, of course, which is terrific, but that's all I can name at the moment.
I mean, more, movies that I want to watch on Halloween itself. Obviously Halloween would be the other, but I have a list for this somewhere, like, the Ten Movies To Choose From If You're Watching A Movie On Halloween.

I mean, more, movies that I want to watch on Halloween itself. Obviously Halloween would be the other, but I have a list for this somewhere, like, the Ten Movies To Choose From If You're Watching A Movie On Halloween.
Aye, gotcha.

They should make more horror films set on Halloween though.

Victim of The Night
Aye, gotcha.

They should make more horror films set on Halloween though.
And release them at Halloween!

(I'm always wondering why Horror movies never seem to come out in October. Makes no sense to me.)

This looks like it might be just my thing.
I grew up very into Arthurian Legend, in large part, believe it or not, because of Camelot, the 1967 musical (and in part because of Dungeons and Dragons).
And even as a kid, Guinevere was the one for me. She is played, in that film, as probably the smartest person in the room, by the excellent Vanessa Redgrave, and the sympathetic way that Richard Harris' Arthur feels for her even wallowing in the pain of her transgression with Franco Nero's Lanceleot.
I really feel like that particular part of Arthurian Legend is really the meat and everything else is just fun stories. But the knights and royalty as actual people is what makes it interesting.

And Nero is the perfect Lancelot to me in the same way that he is the perfect Space Jesus.
I think you'd enjoy it, but I'm not sure if you'll walk away from it with the same kind of affection for any of the performances. They're played by non-professional and/or unknown actors and none of them barely emote. In other words, no Space Jesuses/Jesi/what have you to be found.
...it is good, though, honest!

The only way I'm aware to watch this - in the U.S., anyway - is via the left-hand path, a.k.a. SpelingError (thanks again). Will PM.