Help me with 2010s Movie Recommendations

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I posted this a few years ago. You might be able to get some recommendations from it:

https://www.listchallenges.com/top-2...s-of-the-2010s

Thank you for the recommendations.

I've already mentioned several of the movies in your link in my previous posts, and I haven't heard of some of the other movies, but I'll comment on a few of the other movies.

I watched Snowpiercer for a HoF a while back, but it wasn't really my type of movie. From what I remember of it, I doubt that a rewatch would make a difference.

I've heard good things about BlacKkKlansman, so I'll try to watch this.

I think What We Do in the Shadows is a horror movie with vampires, so it's probably not really my type of movie.

I saw Fruitvale Station a while back, and I remember it being a good movie, but I don't remember much about the movie itself, so I'll probably rewatch it.

I haven't heard of the rest of the movies that I haven't commented about in previous posts, but I'll look into them.

I particularly like Force Majeur, We Are the Best, Mustang, and I am Not Your Negro from this list.

The others I pulled out above I would really hope people would check out. For example, I had really complicated feelings about High Life, but the parts I loved I REALLY loved.

There are so many films from the 2010's I think are so good but won't have a chance of making the countdown.

(Note to gbgoodies: Some of the below are not in line with your parameters. A few are horror, and while I think Tikkun is great, it does contain one scene in a slaughterhouse. Blue Ruin and You Were Never Really Here are probably more violent than you'd want. I LOVE Short Term 12, but children who have been abused is a major theme of the film, as it takes place at an institution serving children with mental health and other issues. For you I'd most recommend The Farewell, Roma, and Far from the Madding Crowd.)

All This Panic
Blood Brother
Tikkun
The Invitation
Dina
If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle
I Will Follow
A Land Imagined
I Still Hide to Smoke
The Invisible War
The Arbor
Advantageous
The Fits
Demon
Into the Abyss
Aferim!
The Second Mother
Our Little Sister
Minding the Gap
Tangerines
BPM
Phoenix
Thunder Road
Upstream Color
I Lost My Body
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
I Daniel Blake
Monos
The Salesman
Three Identical Strangers
Joe
Starred Up
Calvary
Kubo and the Two Strings
God's Own Country
The Farewell
Blue Ruin
Attack the Block
Short Term 12
First Reformed
Roma
The Square
You Were Never Really Here
The Skin I Live In
Mandy
Sound of Metal
Far from the Madding Crowd
Good Time

Thank you for the recommendations, and the additional notes about some specific movies.

As I said earlier, I've seen Thunder Road, and I liked it, but it's not likely to make my list.

I also mentioned previously that I've heard good things about I, Daniel Blake and The Square, so I'll try to watch these movies.

I vaguely remember someone recommending Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives in a different thread, (maybe for a countdown), so I might try to watch this.

I've also heard good things about Kubo and the Two Strings and Sound of Metal, so I added both of these movies to my watchlist too.

I've seen Attack the Block and Good Time, and I liked both movies, but neither is likely to make my list.

I haven't heard of the rest of the movies on your list, but I'll look into them, especially the ones that you recommended at the beginning of your post.

Only have one must.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I've seen Boyhood, and it was okay, but I thought it was a bit overrated.
However, it's been a while since I saw it, and I don't remember much about it, so I should probably rewatch it before finalizing my list.

You guys have just dumped what 300 films...people really should edit their picks to 5-10.

Thank you.

I mentioned this in my opening post to try and avoid this, but I guess people just have so many favorite movies that it's hard to narrow them down.

If everyone just starts throwing out a bunch of titles, many of them will just get lost in the shuffle, so please try to make an effort to recommend movies that you think might have a real chance to make my list.
But I'll do my best to research the recommendations, and narrow down the lists to the movies that I think have the best chance to make my list, and I'll try to watch as many movies as I can before submitting my list.

Hopefully other people reading this thread will also get some recommendations from these lists, and they might get some watches from other people before they submit their lists.

I thought that Only Lovers Left Alive was a horror movie with vampires, so I never considered watching it. I might have to read about this movie too before making a decision.
It isn't much of a Horror movie. It is Jim Jarmusch (Dead Man, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai) doing his thing inside the trappings of a Vampire movie. More of an existential character piece headlined by Tom Hiddleston's underground rock star living in present day Detroit who happens to need blood to survive. Which he gets from the blood bank as it doesn't involve killing and has been screened for diseases.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think What We Do in the Shadows is a horror movie with vampires, so it's probably not really my type of movie.

It's a mockumentary. Something like This is Spinal Tap might be the better comparison point, but one of those, "incongruent people who live together in one house," type of reality tv parody. Part of that parody is, "and what of they were vampires."

Your mileage might vary based on how much you enjoy Taika Waititi's sense of humor. I haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople but it got good word of mouth and might be the Taika movie that might be more your thing.

But, unless there's something I'm missing, I'd suggest someone doesn't write off What We Do in the Shadows (or Only Lovers Left Alive) because they don't like horror movies and they have vampires in them. (I don't know how much you'll care for the latter - Jarmusch kind of has his own vibe as a filmmaker, though Lovers Left Alive seemed like one of his most accessible movies. I think Holden summarized a lot of it well).

I just realized First Cow is a 2019 movie. In my head it was a 2020 movie, since it was the last movie a lot of people saw right before the pandemic.
Now I'll probably have to decide which Reichardt film (that or Meek's Cutoff) I prefer.

I'd say it's more comedy than horror, so you might still enjoy it.

I just realized First Cow is a 2019 movie. In my head it was a 2020 movie, since it was the last movie a lot of people saw right before the pandemic.
Now I'll probably have to decide which Reichardt film (that or Meek's Cutoff) I prefer.
Meek's Cutoff is a lock for my ballot. I really need to see First Cow before my ballot is completed.

The link to your favorite's list in the opening post isn't working for me, so I don't know which of these you've already seen, and with the strong caveat of, based off of your descriptions of what you like and don't like, we aren't going to have a lot of overlap for what we're looking for, but I suspect the following might work for you (not necessarily in consideration for me):

The two big Kelly Reichardt movies of the past decade:
Meek's Cutoff
First Cow

The Greta Gerwig stuff
Frances, Ha
Lady Bird
Little Women (admittedly, I haven't seen this one)

Carol
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Tangerine

Meek's Cutoff is a lock for my ballot. I really need to see First Cow before my ballot is completed.
The only way it doesn't make mine is if things get tight and I have space for only one of them. Though, I'm probably leaning more Meek's. If they both make the ballot, then I still need to decide order.

https://letterboxd.com/inmate/list/t...-of-the-2010s/

this is my letterboxd list of my top 200 of the decade, all of which i recommend, but if i had to highlight a small handful that haven't gotten much recognition in this thread i'd say:

the double (richard ayoade, 2013)
colombus (kogonada, 2017)
mr. turner (mike leigh, 2014)
by the sea (angelina jolie, 2015)
margaret (kenneth lonergan, 2011)
the one i love (charlie mcdowell, 2014)
bernie (richard linklater, 2012)
the light between oceans (derek cianfrance, 2016)
christopher robin (marc forster, 2018)
criticker

I also meant to suggest

The Rider (Zhao)

In the unseen category on my to watch list
Songs My Brothers Taught Me (also Zhao)
Columbus (glad it was mentioned. Been meaning to see it for a while, and then I ended up liking After Yang a lot more than I thought I would, this year. And I know at least one person who liked Columbus noticeably more).
Face, Places (I've seen very little Varda, though this is a more uncertain suggestion).

And back to one I've seen that might be too slow for the OP, but also might not be. (I guess Drive My Car would be your best reference point):
Asako I&II (Hamaguchi)

Some thoughts on a couple of films others have suggested:

I would be very surprised if you like Anomalisa. It's on my shortlist, but I intentionally left it off of my animation suggestions. It's a very well done but also very odd movie and contains a fair amount of sex as well as full frontal nudity.

You Were Never Really Here is actually really not that violent. A lot of people die, sometimes quite brutally, but most of the violence happens off screen.

I wrote this about it after a rewatch in 2019:

It is completely without joy of any kind. We get a story about a man who doles out brutal justice to some of the world's monsters with the bash of a hammer, but neither Joe nor the audience is given any real satisfaction or fulfillment in the act. The violence occurs offscreen and we get to see only its bloody aftermath. Even when we are witness to the death of one of Joe's victims, the scene is turned into an unexpected moment of humanity and compassion.
That said, the movie's story revolves around child sex trafficking (though it's not graphic in that respect) and I will be shocked if you like it.

Pina sounds very interesting.
Pina is great. Just really wonderful.

I also would second Miss Vickey's recommendation of Klaus. It was both funny and moving.

I haven't heard of the rest of the movies on your list, but I'll look into them, especially the ones that you recommended at the beginning of your post.
Yeah, that big ol' list is just the stuff I love that I worry many people might not have seen.

For you, it's those three I pulled out that are my "official" recommendations.

I thought that Only Lovers Left Alive was a horror movie with vampires, so I never considered watching it. I might have to read about this movie too before making a decision.
It isn't much of a Horror movie. It is Jim Jarmusch (Dead Man, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai) doing his thing inside the trappings of a Vampire movie. More of an existential character piece headlined by Tom Hiddleston's underground rock star living in present day Detroit who happens to need blood to survive. Which he gets from the blood bank as it doesn't involve killing and has been screened for diseases.

Thank you for the information and trailer for Only Lovers Left Alive. I think the only movie from Jim Jarmusch that I've seen is Dead Man, and it was okay, but it didn't make me want to see anything else from him.

I'll put Only Lovers Left Alive on my watchlist for now, but there are a lot of other movies that seem to be more my type of movie that I'll probably watch before it.

But I'll keep an eye out for it on the TV schedule. I tend to jump those movies to the top of my watchlist just to keep my DVR from getting too full.

It's a mockumentary. Something like This is Spinal Tap might be the better comparison point, but one of those, "incongruent people who live together in one house," type of reality tv parody. Part of that parody is, "and what of they were vampires."

Your mileage might vary based on how much you enjoy Taika Waititi's sense of humor. I haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople but it got good word of mouth and might be the Taika movie that might be more your thing.

But, unless there's something I'm missing, I'd suggest someone doesn't write off What We Do in the Shadows (or Only Lovers Left Alive) because they don't like horror movies and they have vampires in them. (I don't know how much you'll care for the latter - Jarmusch kind of has his own vibe as a filmmaker, though Lovers Left Alive seemed like one of his most accessible movies. I think Holden summarized a lot of it well).

Thanks for the info about What We Do in the Shadows, but it probably didn't help push it up on my watchlist. I'm one of the few people who doesn't really care for mockumentaries like This is Spinal Tap.

I don't think I've seen any of Taika Waititi's movies, so I'm not familiar with his sense of humor. However I like Sam Neill, so maybe I'll give Hunt for the Wilderpeople a try and see how it goes.

I think I saw First Cow on the TV schedule for one of the cable channels this month, so if I didn't miss it already, maybe I'll give it a try.

I'd say it's more comedy than horror, so you might still enjoy it.

I'll keep it in mind, but if it's similar to a mockumentary, I might not get very far into it. I don't seem to have much luck with mockumentaries.

The link to your favorite's list in the opening post isn't working for me

I just double-checked it, and it seems to be working for me, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's just a link to my custom lists here on MoFo. If you go to my Profile page and click on the "Lists" link below the large image, you should be able to get to my custom lists.

Is anyone else having a problem with the link in my first post?